Recalled/Assigned: Wings Recall Joe Hicketts & Abby to IR (Back to GR 11/7)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What does Perlini coming have to do with Svech only playing 7 minutes a game?

Maybe nothing.

Maybe it's the 0+0 on statline with that icetime.

Athanasiou at least scored on that low ice-time and then the whine for bigger icetime was based on something. And he finally got his icetime.

Perlini does the thing that it will push guys (Helm) from higher lines to lower ones on the hierarchy and finally somebody has to go down.

When some waiver-free goes down, you decide from the waiver-free guys. Hirose, a power-play guy, 12 points in last 23 NHL games. Ehn, penalty killer, Givani Smith, net-front powerplay player.

Or Svechnikov... not any special role player, with 0+0 on the stat sheet.

For me, the pattern is pretty clear. Have a role on special teams or produce. If you don't have either, for sure, you go down first. Your mom's visit is not gonna keep your up. It's your contributions for the team. Others are tougher decisions.

When Abdelkader comes back, he will push Smith down. When Glendening comes back he could push Ehn down. That how the circle goes.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Maybe nothing.

Maybe it's the 0+0 on statline with that icetime.

Athanasiou at least scored on that low ice-time and then the whine for bigger icetime was based on something. And he finally got his icetime.

Perlini does the thing that it will push guys (Helm) from higher lines to lower ones on the hierarchy and finally somebody has to go down.

When some waiver-free goes down, you decide from the waiver-free guys. Hirose, a power-play guy, 12 points in last 23 NHL games. Ehn, penalty killer, Givani Smith, net-front powerplay player.

Or Svechnikov... not any special role player, with 0+0 on the stat sheet.

For me, the pattern is pretty clear. Have a role on special teams or produce. If you don't have either, for sure, you go down first. Your mom's visit is not gonna keep your up. It's your contributions for the team. Others are tougher decisions.

When Abdelkader comes back, he will push Smith down. When Glendening comes back he could push Ehn down. That how the circle goes.
Do you seriously think 4 games and less then 3 minutes of PP time is a fair chance for Svech to produce?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ok.

So give us a better solution for Svechnikov, when Perlini arrives. What would you do?

Arena is yours.
Bench Hirose and Ehn or send them down.

BLM
AA-Flip-Perlini
Erne-Nielsen-Svech (This line will wind up getting the least TOI anyways)
Helm-DLR-Warm body (Smith, Ehn, LGD, whatever)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why bench Hirose when he is a producing forward? I thought we needed offence.

Interesting that Hicketts came and instantly we play a better game defensively. He must be a great balancing guy on the locker room. Team was calm and didn't fumble on final minutes of periods, even though there was that referee mistake before EDM goal.

I hope Cholowski did see the difference and that transfers on his play.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Interesting that Hicketts came and instantly we play a better game defensively. He must be a great balancing guy on the locker room. Team was calm and didn't fumble on final minutes of periods, even though there was that referee mistake before EDM goal.

What on earth is Hirose producing? He has a few assists, and any player in our organization could have made that pass to Larkin for the easy assist tonight. He doesn't compete hard at all, doesn't play defence, gets knocked off the puck with ease, and has all of 5 assists in 13 games (including his freebie tonight) while being -5 and getting ample PP and ES ice time to do something with. I realize he is young, so maybe he will get better, but right now he sucks and is an AHL level player. The other non stat thing he does, is he kills a lot of offensive opportunities by skating to the opponents blueline dumping it in, and then waiting for his teammate to try and get the puck back, while not going in hard after the puck at all. It is very reminiscent of all 3 of Hudler, Tatar (did this a lot) and Nyquist who all do plays like this. Hirose is easily the least talented in that group of four so that is bad news to me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Oh man, the myth of Hicketts grows.

If this team needs a 23 year old AHL defenseman to calm them down, the Wings problems are much bigger than I thought.

I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but maaaaybe just maybe the team got tired of losing after 8 games and finally pulled its head of its ass? Plus got a great performance from Howard?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
What on earth is Hirose producing? He has a few assists, and any player in our organization could have made that pass to Larkin for the easy assist tonight. He doesn't compete hard at all, doesn't play defence, gets knocked off the puck with ease, and has all of 5 assists in 13 games (including his freebie tonight) while being -5 and getting ample PP and ES ice time to do something with. I realize he is young, so maybe he will get better, but right now he sucks and is an AHL level player. The other non stat thing he does, is he kills a lot of offensive opportunities by skating to the opponents blueline dumping it in, and then waiting for his teammate to try and get the puck back, while not going in hard after the puck at all. It is very reminiscent of all 3 of Hudler, Tatar (did this a lot) and Nyquist who all do plays like this. Hirose is easily the least talented in that group of four so that is bad news to me.

Hirose does, in fact, compete hard; he's not slow, and backchecks hard (he's usually one of the first forwards back). Yeah, he gets knocked off the puck easily, but that's because he weighs a buck-fiddy soaking wet. He's gotten crushed a couple of times, and it's showing in his hesitation to go into corner battles. In fact, last night, one of the Oiler d-men simply pushed him in the chest and knocked him over behind the net (I think it was last night). No momentum coming into it at all from either player.

His lack of weight/strength and confidence are things holding him back; his compete-level and effort are certainly not.

Reactions: Winger98

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hirose does, in fact, compete hard; he's not slow, and backchecks hard (he's usually one of the first forwards back). Yeah, he gets knocked off the puck easily, but that's because he weighs a buck-fiddy soaking wet. He's gotten crushed a couple of times, and it's showing in his hesitation to go into corner battles. In fact, last night, one of the Oiler d-men simply pushed him in the chest and knocked him over behind the net (I think it was last night). No momentum coming into it at all from either player.

His lack of weight/strength and confidence are things holding him back; his compete-level and effort are certainly not.

Hirose is definitely a below average skater for a guy his size.If youre a buck fifty getting knocked off pucks easily, losing board battles and hesitating to go into corners you should be flying out there. It also doesnt give a free pass for him being hesitant and soft in the corners. Hes been one of the wings weaker forwards this year, especially given expectations and the ice time he gets.

Given that hes waiver eligible it makes no sense that he just gets a free pass for an enire 8 games losing streak while Svech gets 6 mins a game and CHolowski gets benched

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

He reminds me a bit of Damien Brunner when he came over, but more pass than shot. Tries to get in and get his nose dirty but just doesn't have the strength or experience to do it effectively and ends up on his back a lot. He's a good but not elite skater, so he can't rely on that to make room for himself. He's got to get stronger/smarter.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Hirose has done f*** all. He gets do-nothing assists on the powerplay.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He reminds me a bit of Damien Brunner when he came over, but more pass than shot. Tries to get in and get his nose dirty but just doesn't have the strength or experience to do it effectively and ends up on his back a lot. He's a good but not elite skater, so he can't rely on that to make room for himself. He's got to get stronger/smarter.
Brunner was so much better than Hirose is.
Real shot. Pretty dynamic player at times for Detroit. Had real zip in his game.
Should have stuck.

Reactions: Hinterland

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Hirose is definitely a below average skater for a guy his size.If youre a buck fifty getting knocked off pucks easily, losing board battles and hesitating to go into corners you should be flying out there. It also doesnt give a free pass for him being hesitant and soft in the corners. Hes been one of the wings weaker forwards this year, especially given expectations and the ice time he gets.

Given that hes waiver eligible it makes no sense that he just gets a free pass for an enire 8 games losing streak while Svech gets 6 mins a game and CHolowski gets benched

I really don't think he's as slow in a straight line as people tend to think; it's his lateral quickness and overall agility that's a little lacking.

I didn't mean those comments as excuses, just what I see as potential reasons for the weak points; besides, I don't necessarily agree with Blashill's lineups, either.

I can see that comparison.

Some people simply can't put on weight for whatever reason until their metabolism slows; I was a prime example of that. At 23, I was 6'1, 160lbs with protein shakes in each hand, and couldn't seem to gain any weight no matter what I tried.

Then I hit 25 and my metabolism crashed.

Experience will definitely teach him the ropes, and the weight/strength may or may not come in time to make a difference. Regardless, he has the vision and hands necessary, he just needs to get up to speed -- both literally and metaphorically. Now, whether that's in Detroit, Grand Rapids, or elsewhere is the £170 question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If/when we pump up AA & Hirose's stats, I wouldn't mind trading them + 2nd? for an yonug, impact Top 6 RHF (preferably C) or Top 3 LHD.

Re: AA, he's either gonna be real cheap to lock up or decent trade bait, in which case we may wanna hang onto him. He better start producing soon.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I really don't get the Hirose treatment, actually texted a friend in the organization in terms of I am at the point of somebody please explain this to me because I am at a loss. He makes a ton of bad turnovers, like he isn't a coaches friend at all... We will see, without space which to this point is the PP because he cannot create it on his own at all, I just don't see what he offers at this level. I think he can grow and should do so below the NHL, because right now I am looking at an AHL player 5 on 5 for sure.

Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Oh for sure.
Though I don't know how much faster someone gets between 23 and 26. I think it's unlikely Hirose ever gets as good as Brunner was - and Brunner wasn't so awesome.

I don't think he'll ever be the shooter Brunner was, but I think he has the ability to distribute the puck better. Unless the guy suddenly finds another level to his game, I don't think the Wings are doing him any favors by keeping him up, though. Put him GR and let him play a ton of minutes down there. Honestly, should probably do the same with Cholowski.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I really don't get the Hirose treatment, actually texted a friend in the organization in terms of I am at the point of somebody please explain this to me because I am at a loss. He makes a ton of bad turnovers, like he isn't a coaches friend at all... We will see, without space which to this point is the PP because he cannot create it on his own at all, I just don't see what he offers at this level. I think he can grow and should do so below the NHL, because right now I am looking at an AHL player 5 on 5 for sure.

Wonder if they see him as a disposable asset and they are just hoping he can start pumping his stats up with all of the IT to inflate his trade value. It can't hurt that the roster is relatively devoid of talent, too. for all of his faults there are nights where he seems like he's one of five guys who can competently give and take a pass.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pump up his stats and then Yzerman trades him.

World is full of positive options.

Everybody in here just see a problem and the negative side. I see possibilities. Just like Stevie Y.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Brunner was so much better than Hirose is.
Real shot. Pretty dynamic player at times for Detroit. Had real zip in his game.
Should have stuck.

I agree. Great scorer...incredibly dynamic with the puck and with Datsyuk like stickwork against the puck. Unfortunately his positioning against the puck was bad and he was too soft for the NHL. Babcock tried to teach him a few things after letting him loose for a good while but I don't think Brunner appreciated it.

Well, Redwings did offer Brunner a contract...it was the player who wanted to test Free Agency to eventually sign with NJ. Biggest mistake of his career. Whether he rejected Detroit's offer to make more money, or, as I suspect, because he didn't like Babcock trying to change his game, it wasn't a smart decision. Devils had a very veteran but strictly defensive minded group where he didn't fit in at all.

In hindsight it probably doesn't matter because he's injured all the time anyway. Still, the most gifted player Switzerland had maybe in forever but failed to make use of his tools. Imagine 2013 playoff Brunner with more strength and defensive awareness. That would be one heck of a player. Whether it was due to his body letting him down or because he just wasn't willing to put in the work in (like many Swiss born players) I don't know. Sad story anyway. I hate to see players waste their talent.

To come back to the topic...pumped to see Little Joe back in the NHL. One of my absolute favourites. Hopefully he can stick now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I agree. Great scorer...incredibly dynamic with the puck and with Datsyuk like stickwork against the puck. Unfortunately his positioning against the puck was bad and he was too soft for the NHL. Babcock tried to teach him a few things after letting him loose for a good while but I don't think Brunner appreciated it.

Well, Redwings did offer Brunner a contract...it was the player who wanted to test Free Agency to eventually sign with NJ. Biggest mistake of his career. Whether he rejected Detroit's offer to make more money, or, as I suspect, because he didn't like Babcock trying to change his game, it wasn't a smart decision. Devils had a very veteran but strictly defensive minded group where he didn't fit in at all.

In hindsight it probably doesn't matter because he's injured all the time anyway. Still, the most gifted player Switzerland had maybe in forever but failed to make use of his tools. Imagine 2013 playoff Brunner with more strength and defensive awareness. That would be one heck of a player. Whether it was due to his body letting him down or because he just wasn't willing to put in the work in (like many Swiss born players) I don't know. Sad story anyway. I hate to see players waste their talent.

To come back to the topic...pumped to see Little Joe back in the NHL. One of my absolute favourites. Hopefully he can stick now.

He could have been a nifty 20-goal man, easy.
But there's always someone else willing to take that job.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He was pretty bad. Which stinks because a while back I thought he could be a spark plug for this defense.

His reach hurts his game. He struggled defending power forwards in front of the net.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad