Recalled/Assigned: Wings recall Givani Smith from GR (Sent back 10/30)

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by lhsgolf19, Oct 25, 2019.

1. GrGriffins

GrGriffins Registered User

Doing great. Was suspended for the last home game for a clipping play in Texas last week (no penalty was called on the play). Matured is the biggest improvement as he is starting to figure it out as to when to be aggressive and when not to. He is causing all kinds of problems in front of the other team's net and he is not easy to move out of there. Starting to find his scoring touch at this level. Hoping he can be an impact player up in Detroit. They need someone to do that up there and he would be the man to do just that.

Steve Yzerlland likes this.
  2. newfy

newfy Registered User

Yeah Svech could definitely play the bumper as well but I dunno about putting a rookie with only a few games there. You've gotta think quick and have some chemistry to play that spot. I could see him doing it down the line in Detroit because he has a great shot as well but I think the half wall is the best spot for him. Great shot and can pass as well

3. Kronwalled55

Kronwalled55 1st Overall Plz

Love having Smith on the squad. I don't see it being a big addition to this struggling team but I think Smith is a bonafide perfect fit for any bottom 6. Could be a very valuable piece going forward.

wingerdinger likes this.
  4. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Registered User

If that's true I'll be thrilled!

5. MBH

MBH Registered User

Svech has the skill to play several roles on a powerplay.

6. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    I don't think he has the skills to be an NHL player, but if that were a requirement to be a player in Detroit it would be only the Larkin line, DD, and Hronek playing most nights.

Gniwder likes this.
  7. Hen Kolland

Hen Kolland Registered User

Financial Analyst
    But should we be considering this a real option?

8. kliq

kliq Registered User

Excited for this news! I'm headed to the game tonight and just received the alert.

For whatever reason I have good luck in seeing players score their first goal, so fingers crossed that Smith can continue that for me!

9. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    It can't be any worse than current situation, and might be more entertaining.

10. Filppula

Filppula Jurks

I’m kinda with you on this one. He’s taken some nice steps forward so far this season, but I’m far from convinced on his NHL future.

11. 13to40

13to40 Registered User

Was very happy when the wings drafted this kid. Hopefully this call up he can prove he’s ready to stay. We need a player of his skill set on this team. He’s the type of player that can change the momentum of the game with one hit or a drop of the gloves.

I’ve always believed that a 4th line should consist of bigger bodies who dish out big hits and can chip in for 10-15G a season. Givani is exactly of this mould. Hopefully it works out!!

12. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Larkin draws the toughest defensive assignments on the team. Until AA proves he gives a **** about defense he isn't going to play more than the odd leverage shift with Larkin.

13. Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland Registered User

Hyperbole alert.

14. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Alright you are the opposing coach. Where do you put your best penalty killers?

I mean I am more for just loading one PP unit and playing them for at least 90 seconds with Bert-Larkin - Mantha - Hronek - Cholo. But what he is trying to do is get two versatile units. Feel free to disagree but it isn't outlandish. Do you assign your top guy to Hronek trigger man shot with Bert and Larkin mucking down low or Mantha, AA and Cholo out high. I personally would stick AA with the opposite flank of Hronek on unit one and drop Hirose if he is committed to not loading one unit but my guess is they want AA and Larkin to be the primary entry guys with how much Hirose has struggled. We will see, but beyond just blind rage against it most of this stuff has to do with creating a balance. Our PP hasn't been good enough to be entrenched to one idea to this point.

Winger98 likes this.
  15. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    Not by as much as you would think.

16. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

Hirose being fairly closely to miserable at whatever he's tried at this year has thrown a wrench into a lot of things.

The Zetterberg Era likes this.
  17. newfy

newfy Registered User

Tonight is probably the first time you've watched him since he was drafted.

Anyways, he looked pretty good speed wise out there tonight.Chased the puck down on a PP late in the third where he caught the D and caused a turnover. Definitely didnt look slow and I would say definitely a better skater than someone like Abby

Christien likes this.
  18. Christien

Christien Seider Szn

He showed really well tonight imo

Winger98 likes this.
  19. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    Funny, until I moved out to Phoenix I had season tickets to the Griffins, and I only see them the 6 or 7 times I go back to West Michigan every year because my dad has my season tickets now. So, I might have seen him more live in one season than you've seen him ever.

20. newfy

newfy Registered User

Ok so youre just a bad judge of talent then. He might not have a high end NHL skill set or be a first liner but how you can watch him and think he couldnt at least be a solid 4th liner in the NHL is pretty ridiculous. Especially now that his skating has improved.

Also funny how hes played literally one season with Grand Rapids, so you having season tickets in the past is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Your season tickets a few years ago do not mean youve seen him more than me ever lol nice try though

vladdy16 likes this.
  21. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

I thought he looked good when I saw him, too. He doesn't look slow, either. At least not in a way that raises a bunch of red flags.

22. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    And I saw him either 5 or 6 times last season. A "solid 4th liner" corresponds to most veteran top 6 AHL players. I know he fights so he can do no wrong, but he doesn't bring much to the game other than physicality and that's not enough to make someone an NHL player anymore.

23. newfy

newfy Registered User

He doesnt actually fight that much but he plays a physical, high energy game and has a bit of offense with it. Its enough to say he has NHL talent. He at the very least could be a fourth liner which is an NHL player, but thats not his upside.

You watched him play 5 games in his first pro season after being a mid second round pick and youre ready to say he has no NHL level talent already? And yet here he is after one pro season, having a really good preseason and already called up. Yzerman must think he has some kind of redeeming qualities or NHL talent if hes calling him up, or are you a better talent evaluator than him too with your 5 games you watched? Theres lots of guys in GR with NHL level talent, but its Smith being called up and even getting some PP time.

Youre probably right though, absolutely nothing he does is at the NHL level.. Should send Yzerman a message and let him know

24. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    Haha, most of the starting lineup is barely NHL talent. Lets not pretend Detroit is stacked up front and he somehow forced his way up. And if you're going to argue the difference between solid 4th liner and AHL top 6er, you might as well be on the twix commercial arguing the difference between left twix and right twix, because they are fundamentally the same.

Sir Savage the 21st likes this.
  25. kliq

kliq Registered User

I was at the game tonight, and after reading this thread I was expecting Smith to be really slow so I paid attention to it. He was by no means fast out there, but his skating did not come across as slow or troublesome.