Recalled/Assigned: Wings recall Givani Smith from GR (Sent back 10/30)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was at the game tonight, and after reading this thread I was expecting Smith to be really slow so I paid attention to it. He was by no means fast out there, but his skating did not come across as slow or troublesome.

Top speed is OK. it's the first few steps in any direction that are rough.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
And if you're going to argue the difference between solid 4th liner and AHL top 6er, you might as well be on the twix commercial arguing the difference between left twix and right twix, because they are fundamentally the same.

I don't think this is remotely close to being true in 2019.

Smith and Svech were bright spots tonight, and have been all year long really. Character through the roof for guys their age that are a bit behind the curve.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Haha, most of the starting lineup is barely NHL talent. Lets not pretend Detroit is stacked up front and he somehow forced his way up. And if you're going to argue the difference between solid 4th liner and AHL top 6er, you might as well be on the twix commercial arguing the difference between left twix and right twix, because they are fundamentally the same.
We get it dude Givani Smith will never be an NHLer and Cholowski's defense sucks. We get it.

Reactions: Oddbob

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He provided a lot of energy that translated to an awesome 3rd period by the Wings. He's been a welcomed addition.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Haha, most of the starting lineup is barely NHL talent. Lets not pretend Detroit is stacked up front and he somehow forced his way up. And if you're going to argue the difference between solid 4th liner and AHL top 6er, you might as well be on the twix commercial arguing the difference between left twix and right twix, because they are fundamentally the same.

Ok so to be an NHL talent you need to be a top 6 player or youre not an NHL talent? So half the leagues forwards arent NHL talent? Plenty of AHL top 6ers arent NHL talent because they dont do things at an NHL level but it can fly in the AHL.

Givani Smith absolutely has a translatable skill set to become a useful NHL player, even if its on the bottom 2 lines. Teemu Pulkkinen absolutely dominates the AHL level, 61 points in 46 games but it doesnt matter because Smith has a much more translatable skill set to the NHL level since his skating has improved. And now making his debut with one AHL season under his belt hes looked really solid in 2 games playing ~12 mins a night. Hes strong down low and gets in on the forecheck hard. All things that can make you useful in the NHL.

You might wanna change your speaking in absolutes tone you have with prospects youve watched a few times, gonna make you look bad down the road even if youre right the odd time

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Smith has pleasantly surprised me, should be a good grinder, he's already better along the boards than a lot of our players. Had some good battles with parayko last night.
Surprised me as well, I expected him to be tough on the puck, but he actually has some moves. Still think he needs more time in GR to work on his offense, otherwise he's gonna be a 4th line plug. He doesn't have Datsyuk to bounce goals off his butt like Abby did.

It's pretty clear that Smith, Ehn, and DLR are NHLers physically, but this team needs goals, not just warm bodies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Back to GR

Not surprising really with Perlini on board. He had a pretty decent call up though, not spectacular but definitely showed his skating has improved enough that it wont be what stops him from an NHL career.His biggest weakness at draft time is now NHL calibre which is a good sign.

Now he can go back and hopefully get in the line up in GR tonight and work on some stuff to get going more offensively

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he looked ok, but I also don't think he is ready to be in the NHL as a regular quite yet. I will say I didn't even expect him to make the NHL this year or really ever before this season started, so that is something.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
I was surprised how comfortable he looked grinding in the corners. His skating wasn’t bad, but his first few steps can definitely be improved.

He also seemed to defer to dumping it into a corner, battling, and waiting for somebody to pick up his cycle. Just needs to figure out how to get the puck to puck to the net. Which is something he can do in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->