Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Cleary, 1 yr $1.75 MM

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The media coverage of the roster situation is getting odd. Instead of talking about possibilities, they're just like "Well... something will happen." Hell, Kenny is quoted as talking about it like it's somebody else's job, like in the passive voice. Moves will be made.

If we have any media coverage complaint, that should be it: why let this sort of vagueness pass for an official response?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting to see how this forward logjam will be solved.

Holland clearly has some plans in his mind that we don't know. Cleary with 1-year and right market value at 1.75M is ok, but still, this situation is weird.

17 forwards... :amazed:

Interesting that this change of direction happened 1 day after that Helm injury...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Interesting to see how this forward logjam will be solved.

Holland clearly has some plans in his mind that we don't know. Cleary with 1-year and right market value at 1.75M is ok, but still, this situation is weird.

17 forwards... :amazed:

Agreed. Having 17 forwards is just insane right now.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, Canucks fan here. We got a case of the trolls over on our board, so I was wondering if a couple would of you would weigh in on this one: Would you trade Chris Higgins for Cleary? In a second, right?

sure I would we will give cleary at least 2 more years after this for 2.5 so take the younger guy plays decently as a power forward. Yet cleary's worth is defensive side at end of games etc.. even though he seemed to have broken down last year maybe he can step it back up a bit into old cleary. If not higgins is more valuable even though he is not very good himself as a player.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Isnt this signing an admission that your drafting and development philsophies over the last six years have failed if you only trust one forward from that time to be among your top 12 forwards?

Every other team, even those who won cups and have had lower draft spots have been able to...

Hmmmmm?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Couple thoughts...

1. Cleary's back-and-forth complacency is one of the most pathetic things I have seen from a pro athlete.
2. I've never been more disappointed in the Red Wings Organization. In. My. Life.
3. Clearys not going to be a 4th liner on a Babcock coached team. Look for him to get plenty of ice team like he always does.
4. I can't watch a team like this anymore that signs scrubs like Cleary and buries their young talent like Nyquist and Tatar.
5. Have fun debating this crap all year. I'm not going to waste any of my time/energy supporting an organization that pulls this kind of shot. Never been a fan of the hometown team, but I will be posting and following the sabres for this year.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
One other POINT WANT TO MAKE.

Can anyone really blame him for NOT WANTING TO GO TO PHILLY?

I mean really is kinda like the Kovy thing. I can understand not wanting to be in NJ just saying.

I know detroit has its problems as a city but it is THE DETROIT RED WINGS.

IS THE FRANCHISE everything else has to look pretty listless in comparison to guys who have been here honestly.

Two of the organizations you would have reservations on playing for have to be the NJ's and Philly's. No harm to Philly fans but vinny shocked me was sure he was headed to detroit and thought philly had zero chance so guess I know less than think at times:)

Nothing wrong with Philly for NHL players. Some great areas for the wealthy, strong franchise/top ten in HRR, committed owner.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Hey guys, Canucks fan here. We got a case of the trolls over on our board, so I was wondering if a couple would of you would weigh in on this one: Would you trade Chris Higgins for Cleary? In a second, right?

Without getting into the value that Higgins may provide, I would say NO. Simply because the Wings already have more players they can carry and more salary than they can keep. Signing Cleary is simply awful just from that standpoint. The Wings already have a crammed locker room and the only relief now is to take the kids that have earned a spot and deserve a spot and bury them in the minors.

This move stunts the growth of this team tremendously.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson
Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
Miller - Emmerton - Cleary
Sammy, Bert

Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
DeKeyser - Kindl
Lashoff

LTIR Helm
Trade Tootoo
Waive Eaves

pretty much my ideal scenario with the roster now... I don't know what we plan to do with Bert and Sammy but it seems pretty likely that we aren't going to let both sit in the press box. Realistically I think Goose is in the AHL and Eaves is in the pressbox... Cleary and Sammy/Bert on the third line and Tatar on the fourth.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Couple thoughts...

1. Cleary's back-and-forth complacency is one of the most pathetic things I have seen from a pro athlete.
2. I've never been more disappointed in the Red Wings Organization. In. My. Life.
3. Clearys not going to be a 4th liner on a Babcock coached team. Look for him to get plenty of ice team like he always does.
4. I can't watch a team like this anymore that signs scrubs like Cleary and buries their young talent like Nyquist and Tatar.
5. Have fun debating this crap all year. I'm not going to waste any of my time/energy supporting an organization that pulls this kind of shot. Never been a fan of the hometown team, but I will be posting and following the sabres for this year.

I feel ya bro. I may have to just step away for awhile. I love hockey and the Wings but I can't take much more.

I'll be mad if they waive Eaves. He's a true class act. That's worked hard to come back. And gives 100%. He can actually help the team on the PK.

Last edited:

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
So if capgeek is right we can waive Sammy Tootoo and eaves and be ok

The way I understand it is that, since Sammy is 35+, we can only get 100,000 in cap relief from waiving him. Waiving Tootoo and Eaves would only save us 925,000 each since they're on one way contracts. Alfredsson, Tatar, and Dekeyser all have bonuses we could defer to next season's cap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel ya bro. I may have to just step away for awhile. I love hockey and the Wings but I can't take much more.

I'm torn.

I've been a red wings fan my entire life, I don't really want to follow/support any other team.

But simply, I can't support this kind of stuff.I just can't.

We were headed in a great direction as an org, and now were not.
It really ****ed up everything.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson
Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
Miller - Emmerton - Cleary
Sammy, Bert

Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
DeKeyser - Kindl
Lashoff

LTIR Helm
Trade Tootoo
Waive Eaves

pretty much my ideal scenario with the roster now... I don't know what we plan to do with Bert and Sammy but it seems pretty likely that we aren't going to let both sit in the press box. Realistically I think Goose is in the AHL and Eaves is in the pressbox... Cleary and Sammy/Bert on the third line and Tatar on the fourth.

I like that lineup. I think I'd rather have Glendening over Emmerton but it won't happen

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
My problem with this signing is it doesn't pass the 'does this make the team better than 5 minutes before it was signed?' test. At best they lose Nyquist to GR and a character guy who will accept bottom 6 minutes (unlike Cleary who seems to think hes top 6 material and Babs agrees).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After some play with Capgeek, I realised that there's only one reasonable solution to get us under the cap, if no trades will happen and if everyone is healthy at season start.

It will be:

1. Waiving Lashoff (no penalties)
2. Waiving Eaves (275k cap-penalty)
3. Sending waiver-free Nyquist to minors (25k cap penalty)

This leaves 187k cap-space.

Every other moves would leave Wings over the cap. Emmerton does not open enough space and DeKeyser is waiver-free, but his bonus-based contract opens less space than sending Lashoff down. So pretty much, we keep DeKeyser up.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I like that lineup. I think I'd rather have Glendening over Emmerton but it won't happen

I definitely think Sheahan could offer more than Emmerton right out of the gate as well but I just don't see them really calling forwards (or anyone, really) up from the AHL at this point.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
After some play with Capgeek, I realised that there's only one reasonable solution to get us under the cap, if no trades will happen and if everyone is healthy at season start.

It will be:

1. Waiving Lashoff (no penalties)
2. Waiving Eaves (275k cap-penalty)
3. Sending waiver-free Nyquist to minors (25k cap penalty)

This leaves 187k cap-space.

Every other moves would leave Wings over the cap. Emmerton does not open enough space and DeKeyser is waiver-free, but his bonus-based contract opens less space than sending Lashoff down. So pretty much, we keep DeKeyser up.

I don't see us holding 15 forwards and only 6 defensemen. I'm pretty confident Lashoff will stick with the team as a seventh dman this season. If we can trade Tootoo, it'd really be ideal.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...I get all of that so not a hater by a 1 year deal at 1.75 is not a bad thing if he is used correctly....

Within the disappointment of the news this sentiment(which has also been stated by a few members in the past) is a positive way to look at it. It is a matter of him (and Abbie IMO) being used correctly, NOT IN THE TOP 6 PLEASE!

I'm annoyed by Cleary but can't see booing or hating on him an entire season. Insane that he is getting a chance while Tatar isn't placed in a solid position, but we all know this is how the DRW club does things.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think they made their choice to go with proven to THEM guys for a one season run.

I really feel babcock said look with the right mixture of guys I can get us that cup. He believes it. I have faith in Detroit and even the older guys. I just as have said hope they are USED better than in the past. I would like tatar to get more offense like brunner's numbers and think nyquist deserves his shot since he does play two way game and probably is better than tatar. So hope this happens.

But if have a healthy sammy which is something am hoping for and his 40 plus giving tatar some time can take the loss of brunner and nyquist for a year.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't see us holding 15 forwards and only 6 defensemen. I'm pretty confident Lashoff will stick with the team as a seventh dman this season. If we can trade Tootoo, it'd really be ideal.

I agree. Let's ship him off to Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad