Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Cleary, 1 yr $1.75 MM

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Not if your coach kvetches publicly that he's not getting the players he can use on the roster. (And you hired and extended that coach several times.)

This is a Babcock player and the only reason he's going to return.

you're happy though :)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
One year isn't bad. Re-signing him period is not good.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If this means we are forced to somehow move or buyout Samuelsson, it's not all that bad. The most likely option is Gus back on the bus though.

jmayDET

Apr 5, 2013
Did I miss the large animated atomic bomb explosion upon entering the site or is that still being programmed?

Can't believe this. Who's gonna get bounced because of this?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
you're happy though :)

Given the series of very bad decisions over the past 3 yrs, this is the best one. :)

As I said earlier, Cleary has a lot of things going over some other guys with contracts right now, so yes, it would have been disappointing to lose him while keeping the other.... has-beens.

That said, I would guarantee that Sammy was a Babcock preference as well. He loved that guy, thought he was a great point guy on the PP. :facepalm:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So what young, overripe player sits out another entire NHL season because of this?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
From Friedman:

Of course Babcock wants it to happen :laugh:

It's amazing how this team would be true Cup contenders if the cap and current pieces were used right on a yearly basis. But every year something like this happens, and makes you wonder what in the world the management of this team is thinking.

Since I already know someone will bring up "using pieces right is subjective," we all know some of the stupid decisions made over the past 4 years or so. This included.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If this means we are forced to somehow move or buyout Samuelsson, it's not all that bad. The most likely option is Gus back on the bus though.

It's too late to do a compliance buyout (with no cap implication). Also the window for ordinary buyouts is closed as well.

Why did we sign Drew Miller, then?

You can say that about a lot of the recent signings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Did I miss the large animated atomic bomb explosion upon entering the site or is that still being programmed?

Can't believe this. Who's gonna get bounced because of this?

tumblr_m9nlaaulM91qgfmalo1_500.gif

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well I'm gonna stick around the EAsports board while this all blows over.

Good luck, guys!

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Anyone else find it hilarious that he ended up with a ****tier contract than he wanted? He really played this wrong.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
One year isn't bad. Re-signing him period is not good.

Why couldn't they had done that last year with Tootoo and Samuelsson...and keep Eaves, Miller and Bertuzzi for multiple years...instead, they're hamstrung with too many veterans. I'm so worried that young bucks are going to get squeezed out again even though we know how good they were for them last year.

The only way I'm okay with Cleary coming back is that its not at the expense of Nyquist and Tatar getting a spot in the lineup. If they're sitting Sammy, Tootoo or Bert...that's the less or two evils.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Not terrible if he was only going to play 4th line minutes but with Babcock behind the bench we all know that ain't going to happen. He's probably going to start on the third line and be the first replacement if a top 6er goes down instead of guys like Nyquist and Tatar :facepalm:
Watching a whole year of Cleary taking up valuable minutes by falling down and taking penalties will be the death of my liver.
Go Griffins!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4