Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Cleary, 1 yr $1.75 MM

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2 min
Bottom line here with Dan Cleary is that he had second thoughts after agreeing to PTO with Flyers. Met with Holland/Babcock yesterday...

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2 min
He wanted to see one last time if Wings could do anything. As @aaronward_nhl reported, Wings able to come up with 1 yr/$1.75 M

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1 min
Cleary thanked Flyers for PTO but said he had change of heart, wants to stay in Detroit. Taking less than market value for sure.

A good season by Cleary and he'll be able to get a better deal next summer with salary cap going up

As Cleary says via text message, he's following his heart

crashman

For you, Fugu!

Cleary said he doesn't regret turning down the Red Wings' offer (for three years) on July 3.

“The offers I have today are a lot better, so I don’t regret it at all,'' he said.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/daniel_cleary_talking_to_two_t.html

Personally, I'm okay with this signing. I complained a lot (I mean a lot) about Cleary during the season, but he did show up in the playoffs and he bring some intangibles to the team. I just hope Holland dumps the right guys and still give Tatar and Nyquist a fair shot, they've earned it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
1.75M for one year is fine isnt it? As long as Babs doesnt force him into your Top 6.

It's not the details of the contract that is awful. It's the fact that we signed back arguably the worst forward on our team from last year and now Tatar or Nyquist loses their spot. Both are easily better than Cleary.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So in order to make this work, don't the Wings have to get rid of 3 players? I'll grant the angry mob the Nyquist demotion, but who else is out the door? Tootoo and Eaves?

...what if somebody surprising is out the door? Tootoo, Eaves, Samuelsson?

What's intriguing is the Wings went from "NOPE! Can't really do it..." to "Okay, but the price doesn't work for us...", and now they sign him.

Did they decide something in that time? There was a bit where they weren't even considering adding Cleary. That is, the Wings had the same mentality that we had, and then something changed. Did Babcock just make a big deal about wanting Cleary? or does the team think they can move a different package of players than we're considering? Food for thought.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I don't know if everybody should start booing/killing themselves just yet. There is no room for him in the top 6 anyway. Also we don't know what is going to happen by season start for all we know Holland could have a deal in place for a Datsyuk/Zetterberg for Crosby/Malkin and he needed another winger.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Honestly I'd rather have Sammy play every night and no Cleary than have 2.1 buried in minors plus 1.75 for Cleary.

That's a waste of almost 4m for two useless players.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

How cute Pierre LeBrun and Cleary texting each other.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
he is a ****.. GM living off past accolades and successes made by superior men

only way he knows how to GM is to do exactly what he did or what was done for him before

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

How cute Pierre LeBrun and Cleary texting each other.

Cleary has a kid (maybe kids). Could be he just wants to stay put. Maybe the wife made the decision for him, hence the change of heart.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I registered just for this news.

He was the worst top 6 forward in the league last year, luck boxing points due to being surrounded by talent, while being a detriment on every area of the ice.

I was THRILLED with the news yesterday that he signed with Philly/anywhere but here.

I vow not to watch any time he's on the ice as a top 6 forward or on the powerplay, it's just too much to bear.

Crushed.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
It's not the details of the contract that is awful. It's the fact that we signed back arguably the worst forward on our team from last year and now Tatar or Nyquist loses their spot. Both are easily better than Cleary.

Exactly. Dan Cleary could be playing for free but that would still mean that younger players that will mean FAR more to this organization are being forced out of the lineup. The only, possible silver lining is that this somehow, someway forces Holland to get Samuelsson of the roster. LTIR for him is the only way I see that happening as a buyout isn't possible anymore, waivers doesn't give the Wings the cap relief and, sure as ****, no team will be stupid enough to do us a favor and trade for him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Oilers fans are speculating that Detroit decided they could jump on the Dan Cleary train again because they have a deal in principle with Edmonton for Tootoo and perhaps more.

Obviously just speculation, but it would explain why Detroit went from having their hands tied to this situation.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
little men will always be weasels

Again, anyone who has played the game knows that hockey is a business, and this was a business decision. Whether we agree with it or not does not make Cleary a weasel for taking this contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad