Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Cleary, 1 yr $1.75 MM

RedWingsNow*

I guess it is pretty ballsy to make your team worse by buying out your captain and leaving your already cash strapped owner with a 30+ million dollar bill for a guy who is now playing against you.

Look, I don't quite agree with the Lecavalier buyout, myself.
But Yzerman saw it as a chance to get better and he made a big, ballsy move.

I credit him for that.

I look at lethargic Johan Franzen and lethargic Kenny Holland -- and we all know Holland wouldn't pull the trigger.

People can say "Where else are you going to get a 28 goal guy?" all they want.

Yzerman went out and replaced Vinny LC with Flip.
Holland replaced Flip with Weiss.
Washington replaced Riberio with Grabovski.

There are always more options than the excuse makers like to pretend.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Lecavalier was on a horrendous contract and was regressing. It hurts Tampa short term, but in the long term this was the best thing they could do. Holland would never have done that. Because "MUH LOYALTY."

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I guess it is pretty ballsy to make your team worse by buying out your captain and leaving your already cash strapped owner with a 30+ million dollar bill for a guy who is now playing against you.

I am in tampa. I havent missed a game for tampa in like 8 years. I catch most of the games for detroit online but sometimes cant find the game:(

Now I want to handle this nonsense. FIRST AND FOREMOST VINNY is NOT what you think he was. He is NOT the 100 point vinny. HE WAS REALLY QUESTIONABLE TO BE A 60 point guy.

Make us worse? I really think would have been smart to keep a guy who gets worse yearly for 7.8 million good call lmao.

Is plenty of people who dont like the vinny buy out but he had one of worst contracts in HOCKEY made by dumb and dumber or who I like to call OK DUMMIES. They MAKE ALL GM's LOOK LIKE GENIUSES. Honestly if bettman hadnt stepped in we would not have hockey in Tampa I am sure of that. Those two were like holmgren shoot im bored lets trade away our best three players for a third line guy see how that works. I mean REALLY?

Vinny wasnt playing physical his scoring went down into a very scary level he was getting injured more yearly etc.. Maybe new life brings out some old vinny I have seen it for 1-2 weeks at a time. That is all though. We should have bought out malone too but didnt. He misses half a year each year it seems he is productive though except last year but 4.5 million arghhhh. Purcell top line minutes 3 years at 60 points to me waste of space he is at least good at puck possession and breaking the line.

Vinny was really faltering I wish him well I hope he gets new life in Philly and comes back as a much better player than he has been lately honestly. Maybe he can hit 60 points for a couple more years?

My fear was that he keeps getting worse more injuries and settles into a 40 point guy at 7.8 million yeah that would be smart to keep.

Is not the same thing with franzen so dont try to make it. His production hasnt dropped and doubt will that drastically and cap should make him a steal in a few years honestly.

If stevie had not bought out vinny I would have been ANGRY. He is great guy great for community really special in that regards but man he hit a wall.
2008–09 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 77 29 38 67 54 — — — — —
2009–10 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 82 24 46 70 63 — — — — —
2010–11 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 65 25 29 54 43 18 6 13 19 16
2011–12 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 64 22 27 49 50 — — — — —
2012–13 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 39 10 22 32 29 — — — — '

That trend right there from a 100 point guy is FRIGGIN SCARY for a 33 year old on a 8 year contract at max lol. If has a full season again last year he would have missed again 15-20 games with his injury he had. So three years in a row at low 50 points? Pay him another 6 years till is 40 at 7.8 million?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What difference does it make WHY they played? They played...and they played a lot, then when veterans came back, the kids continued to play while the vets sat as healthy scratches.

You seriously still asking that question after today's signing? Figure it out and get back to me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was always in believe, that Matt Cooke injured Lecavalier after his big career-contract extension. But it really happened before the extension, in the end of season 2007-08. Before that incident, Lecavalier scored 200 points and 92 goals in the previous 2 seasons.

After those seasons and after that shoulder injury caused by Cooke, he was never the same player. 60-70 point guy with a 7.8 million contract.

That's pretty crazy, Tampa's executives extended Lecavalier contract to 11 years after that shoulder injury. That's horrible risk management.

http://hopefulchase.blogspot.fi/2011/02/did-matt-cooke-destroy-lecavaliers.html

Thank god Cooke is now at West when Wings are heading to East.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Garth Snow has a grand total of 0 playoff series wins, has finished last in his division all but twice in his career, and is responsible for Rick DiPietro being paid for the next 16 years.

Snow has done pretty good job imo, esp. lately. Considering what he has had to work with. He's tied many good players to excellent deals. Almost steals and some of them arguably are. Some very good pickups. Excellent prospect pool. Bottom 6 is one of the best in the league.

All that is missing from that team is a great goalie and winger for Tavares.

How Kenny would have done without Dats and Z and playing roster at salary floor.

Dipietro wasn't Snow signing. That was all Charles Wang.

I agree Kenny isn't the worst. Or even one of them.

Any prospects in Wings system that no matter what they do cant get a chance to play like Pirri with Hawks because of your coach?

Ugh.. almost every smaliish skilled forward.

Vinik isn't cash strapped.

Short term, it made the team worse but bc of his cap hit and (possible) recapture penalty, it had to be done.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Any prospects in Wings system that no matter what they do cant get a chance to play like Pirri with Hawks because of your coach?

That seems like Tatar with Mike Babcock. I guess we'll see throughout training camp and into the early part of the season if that holds true.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
At least were not whining about the defensive pairings much.

Just wait till DD get's sent down for cap reasons and it's LASHOFF time.

Lashoff if inserted into the lineup due to injury was gonna be the favorite to be the whipping boy. No longer. Dan Cleary bailed Brian out.

Eh, I don't know about that. Lashoff will still be my big whipping boy.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Honestly, after what I thought was a solid offseason and last year's postseason, I figured the lines would be:

Z-Pavs-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Tatar-Helm/Andersson-Nyquist
Dudes

I thought that was the lineup that was most likely to happen. Babcock loves Abby on the first line and the young 3rd line was great last year in the postseason (swap Tatar for Brunner). Then you could chuck dudes onto the 4th line because we still had seven (now eight!) guys on the roster to fill 3+1 spots.

But NOOOOOO...

Honestly, if the top 3 lines are what I put above and Cleary plays on the 4th line with (most likely) Emmerton (center) and Miller (PK) - with Bert (whoever really) in the pressbox? Fine. But...

This will not happen with Mike Babcock as coach. This is a Holland-Babcock atrocity, but ultimately the buck stops with Holland.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Look, I don't quite agree with the Lecavalier buyout, myself.
But Yzerman saw it as a chance to get better and he made a big, ballsy move.

I credit him for that.

I look at lethargic Johan Franzen and lethargic Kenny Holland -- and we all know Holland wouldn't pull the trigger.

People can say "Where else are you going to get a 28 goal guy?" all they want.

Yzerman went out and replaced Vinny LC with Flip.
Holland replaced Flip with Weiss.
Washington replaced Riberio with Grabovski.

There are always more options than the excuse makers like to pretend.

I don't know, there is always a chance it happens next season depending on Franzen's performance, or regardless of what he does.

Hopefully Holland at least makes it an option considering he is a cap bomb waiting to go off.

Bangarang

Apr 29, 2009
United States
:shakehead I was just bragging/shaking my hands with joy about the Cleary news. I have been telling my friend for years that we need to get rid of Cleary and Samuelsson and let our younger guys get more time.

Even though I'm very upset with this, looking at the roster, you know what angers/confuses me even more?

That we are paying Samuelsson $3,000,000 dollars.:rant:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't know, there is always a chance it happens next season depending on Franzen's performance, or regardless of what he does.

Hopefully Holland at least makes it an option considering he is a cap bomb waiting to go off.

By the time that bomb goes off it'll likely be a couple of million bucks on a cap north of $70 million. And I think the hate he gets is entirely disproportionate to what he deserves.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
By the time that bomb goes off it'll likely be a couple of million bucks on a cap north of $70 million. And I think the hate he gets is entirely disproportionate to what he deserves.

For some reason I thought that his last two years had a really big cap penalty.

Must have misread it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
For some reason I thought that his last two years had a really big cap penalty.

Must have misread it.

Just ran the calculator at capgeek on it. Depending on the year he retires, it could be around $3m or it could be around $2.6m. For comparison, if Z retired at some point in the last few years of his deal, it looks like we'd get hit with something just above or below $5m.

maybe getting stuck with Franzen's cap penalty would keep us from re-signing a 38 yr old Cleary, though...

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
they take 40 pound chunks of stone and hurl them across ice at other 40 pound chunks of stone. How can it not be awesome?

Until the icekeeper runs at your with a broom for knocking out the hacks(where they place their feet on the ice) cause your rock (40 lbs stone) went like a bullet through all the other ones and crashed through the other side.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh hahaha

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Until the icekeeper runs at your with a broom for knocking out the hacks(where they place their feet on the ice) cause your rock (40 lbs stone) went like a bullet through all the other ones and crashed through the other side.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh hahaha

sounds like someone had some traumatic curling moments involving angry men with brooms. :laugh:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
sounds like someone had some traumatic curling moments involving angry men with brooms. :laugh:

Dunno about traumatic, but I quickly learned how to blend into the crowd of innocents lol.

I'm not sure if I should be proud saying this but I watched that movie and enjoyed it lol...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad