Confirmed with Link: Wings Protected List

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Atp Cholo's ceiling is probably a #5PMD, imo & that also on a non-playoff team or lottery team.

It's not Boom or Bust, but rather, Pop vs. Plop & Fizz.

Stech is late 3rd-5th future draft capital depending on the market.

I'm in favor of giving Cholo a new nickname, (credit to @SchultzFeelingIrie ) as a confidence booster (like Taco for Hirose) & if not it serves as a parting gift. Though the original was auto-correct probably, it kinda fits: Chocolate is soft, melts if you handle it, usually wrapped up etc.

View attachment 453838
If Merrill is worth a 5th then Stecher is probably worth a 2026 7th.

I just want to point out one thing, both Cholo and Stecher were healthy scratches on one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Lindstrom was getting 20+ minutes after the TDL. If it wasn't obvious who was going to be protected, you weren't watching games. Stecher had some nice highlight reel plays, I can tell who's watching games and who's watching highlights.

Reactions: Henkka and jaster

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I just want to point out one thing, both Cholo and Stecher were healthy scratches on one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Lindstrom was getting 20+ minutes after the TDL. If it wasn't obvious who was going to be protected, you weren't watching games. Stecher had some nice highlight reel plays, I can tell who's watching games and who's watching highlights.
??

I've been touting Lindstrom since Day 1.

I've also been "anti-"Cholo since Day 1. He had a beautiful, long saucer pass iirc on the GWG in ANA '19/20 iirc & 1 60ft'er iirc in the preseason/prospect tourney his rookie year. That's it. Those are his career highlights.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
??

I've been touting Lindstrom since Day 1.

I've also been "anti-"Cholo since Day 1. He had a beautiful, long saucer pass iirc on the GWG in ANA '19/20 iirc & 1 60ft'er iirc in the preseason/prospect tourney his rookie year. That's it. Those are his career highlights.
Just saying you're overvaluing Stech.

The rest was just a commentary on Stech/Cholo/Lindstrom, not necessarily aimed at you. I don't think a lot of people watched games based on what I'm reading here.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Stetcher vs Cholo vs Lindstrom is a pointless debate. All three are nobodies on a trash rebuilding team. At least we're not losing an actual quality player like many teams will be.

Yzerman doesn't like small dmen, I'm not surprised he left stetcher exposed. And again, this is a meaningless decision that doesn't affect the teams future whatsoever.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

Stecher had a great start and regressed as the season went on.

Sounds like Hronek since 2019. Hell last season his offensive playmaking regressed as well.
Sounds like Cholo in his first season. Strong start and petter out.
Sounds like DK before coming back from injury (before latest back injury). Just a coincidence he got better while away from influence of Houda/Blashill?

At some point Houda and Blashill gotta take responsibility for the constant decline of the D and lack of progress in their defensive play.

In Green's last season they literally told the guy to stop taking chances offensively. All Green ever had was offense.
Same with Quincey. In LA and Colorado Quincey was a useful offensive D-man. They turn him into a shutdown guy.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Stetcher vs Cholo vs Lindstrom is a pointless debate. All three are nobodies on a trash rebuilding team. At least we're not losing an actual quality player like many teams will be.

Yzerman doesn't like small dmen, I'm not surprised he left stetcher exposed. And again, this is a meaningless decision that doesn't affect the teams future whatsoever.

he hates them so much that he signed Stetcher himself to a two year deal

Reactions: FMichael

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Stecher had a great start and regressed as the season went on.

Sounds like Hronek since 2019. Hell last season his offensive playmaking regressed as well.
Sounds like Cholo in his first season. Strong start and petter out.
Sounds like DK before coming back from injury (before latest back injury). Just a coincidence he got better while away from influence of Houda/Blashill?

At some point Houda and Blashill gotta take responsibility for the constant decline of the D and lack of progress in their defensive play.

In Green's last season they literally told the guy to stop taking chances offensively. All Green ever had was offense.
Same with Quincey. In LA and Colorado Quincey was a useful offensive D-man. They turn him into a shutdown guy.
Cholo only looked good until the league figured him out to be a soft player that backs up until he runs out of space. The mistake there was putting him on the roster, he should've been in GR until his waiver exemption ran out.

DDK is what he is, and now he's injured.

Hronek's decision making was horrible on the offensive end last season. I suppose some of that is on Houda/Blash, at least the fact that they couldn't help him fix it at all.

By the time Green joined the team, he was playing on the third pair in DC. He was well on the decline before he signed with the Wings. His offense dried up when he lost his slapper due to injuries.

Stecher is just horrible defensively. None of it is on Houda/Blash. He flat out just makes bad decisions and left Staal hanging by himself way too often. It's also not their fault that Stecher loses every physical battle on the boards or in front of the net. He's just not strong enough and doesn't leverage well. A guy like Stecher is about the easiest player to replace through free agency.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Chychrun is twice the defenseman that Hronek is. If you think otherwise then you are living in a fantasy land.

If he was available he'd have been a Wing. And that would have been a huge boost for this team.

what are you basing this on exactly? i've never seen anything but rumors but i've always heard the opposite if anything

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

The size thing is one obvious Yzerman-thing. Also Stecher being no part of special teams in another.

But lets just look on the size:

MStaal 6'4 (if extended)
DeKeyser 6'3
Seider 6'3
Lindström 6'2
Cholowski 6'2
Leddy 6'0
Hronek 6'0

Biega 5'10 - gone
Stecher 5'10 - probably gone
Djoos 5'11 - gone

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Steve Yzerman inherits a team that earned 80 points the year before he was hired and he quickly turns them into a consistent 100+ point team that went on to win back to back Stanley Cups.
Ken Holland had a team that went to back to back Finals and turned them into a sub 80 point team.

Who wins a Cup first, Ken Holland in Edmonton with two of the top players in the league or Steve Yzerman who is finally doing a proper rebuild in Detroit?
"You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain" //Gandalf

Yzerman has 40+ million in cap space if he wants to improve this roster. Looking at our protection list and complaining about Holland is digging up a dead horse just to beat it a little bit more. Yzerman has the reigns now. The roster looks bad because it's supposed to look bad, that's been the number #1 objective of Holland/Yzerman the last 5 years.

Reactions: Winger98

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Chychrun is twice the defenseman that Hronek is. If you think otherwise then you are living in a fantasy land.

If he was available he'd have been a Wing. And that would have been a huge boost for this team.
Personally, I think last season was the first season Chychrun outplayed Hronek. He shall see what this season brings.
upload_2021-7-19_7-53-27.png
upload_2021-7-19_7-53-46.png

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
"You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain" //Gandalf

Yzerman has 40+ million in cap space if he wants to improve this roster. Looking at our protection list and complaining about Holland is digging up a dead horse just to beat it a little bit more. Yzerman has the reigns now. The roster looks bad because it's supposed to look bad, that's been the number #1 objective of Holland/Yzerman the last 5 years.

LOL, Holland didn't even want to rebuild. He made up "retool on the fly" and then "make the playoffs and anything can happen". I'm just glad we have an owner who realized how out of touch Holland was and made the move to bring in a competent GM.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
LOL, Holland didn't even want to rebuild. He made up "retool on the fly" and then "make the playoffs and anything can happen". I'm just glad we have an owner who realized how out of touch Holland was and made the move to bring in a competent GM.
Talk about out of touch with reality.

Look forward to you twisting yourself into knots trying to explain how Holland should get no credit when Berggren, Veleno, Zadina, Rasmussen and more start to break out at the NHL level.

Reactions: archimet

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The Seattle Kraken appear to have zeroed in on their target in Chicago | Markerzone.com

& now some likely good news:

(excerpt)

"Teams like Pittsburgh, Arizona and Dallas each took the initiative to move a player that they did not want to lose for nothing...

...One team who was trying to do the same, but came up short was the Chicago Blackhawks, who then had to expose defenseman Nikita Zadorov to Seattle. By all accounts, Zadorov indeed appears to be a candidate for selection on Wednesday."

& Cholo gets a mention

"If leadership is high on the list, the Kraken need not look any further than Calgary Flames captain Mark Giordano or Colorado's Erik Johnson. If it's youth and upside they're after, there are plenty of options there as well, including Detroit's Dennis Cholowski (23), Boston's Jeremy Lauzon (24) and Carolina's Jake Bean (23)."

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You guys, this "so-and-so won't impact our future, so who cares" sentiment is, well, it's pointless. It sounds like a good little point, but it's not. Outside of very top players, you can say that about a vast majority of players in the league. Yet, most moves that are made, regarding players who "won't make a real difference by themselves" are still important, because they collectively make a difference. Gustav Lindstrom or Troy Stecher won't make or break the Wings in 2026, that is very true, but making the right or wrong call on the plethora of moves in that vein over the years certainly can. That's why each of these moves are at least worth discussing a little. On a message board. About the hockey team we root for. You know, the whole point of being here slapping away at our phones or keyboards like a bunch of drunken monkeys every day :laugh:

Here you go:

Case for Stecher: currently the best Wings defensemen available to Seattle and not the worst defender on the Wings roster (this is however, a bit like being the tallest midget). Has limitations as an NHL player but competes hard and has above average mobility. Not a naturally gifted passer of the puck.

Case against Stecher: only under contract for one more year. Wings fans tend to overrate him (a combination of fancy stats + having low expectations from watching much worse defensemen for a long period of time). We could protect him, but there is no guarantee he will re-sign with the Wings. I for one don't see him as having much deadline trade value. He doesn't fit the style of defensemen coveted for the playoffs. He competes, but on his best day he is league average defensively (if not below average) and doesn't bring enough offensively to have a net positive in playoff hockey. Teams looking to upgrade at the deadline will always have better options. He also brings absolutely nothing with respect to specialty teams which also makes him less attractive at the deadline.

Case for Lindstrom: cheap, still young, team-controlled player. Pretty solid one-on-one defender in the defensive zone (not as good in transition), reads the play well defensively, maintains a close gap and is quick to close, has a good stick and takes good angles, has shown enough to suggest he could still develop into a solid, stable, bottom-pair defensemen (which is the best Stecher would be on a more competitive team).

Case against Lindstrom: not currently as good as Stecher (may never be), probably won't make it too far up the lineup on a more competitive team due to mobility and limitations with his offensive game, could still stand to get stronger.

Reactions: Ricelund

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Here you go:

Case for Stecher: currently the best Wings defensemen available to Seattle and not the worst defender on the Wings roster (this is however, a bit like being the tallest midget). Has limitations as an NHL player but competes hard and has above average mobility. Not a naturally gifted passer of the puck.
I was relocating to Denver back in the 90's, and they had a midget convention going on while I was staying at the downtown Holiday Inn. I never felt so tall in my life.

Anyways, Lindstrom could turn out to be a decent bottom pair stay at home D if he can add some bulk. Stecher isn't going to get any taller. The decision was pretty obvious based on TOI after the trade deadline.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Oh the irony. Holland and JD pitched a rebuild to Illitch and were shot down. I thought this was common knowledge at this point.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I was relocating to Denver back in the 90's, and they had a midget convention going on while I was staying at the downtown Holiday Inn. I never felt so tall in my life.

Anyways, Lindstrom could turn out to be a decent bottom pair stay at home D if he can add some bulk. Stecher isn't going to get any taller. The decision was pretty obvious based on TOI after the trade deadline.

You are asking for problems by reaching hard and fast conclusions about the allocation of ice time by a nonplayoff team in the garbage minutes of the season. It is not that hard to rationalize giving younger players on call ups as much ice time as possible at the expense of beat-up vets, especially when you aren't necessarily trying to win games late in the year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You are asking for problems by reaching hard and fast conclusions about the allocation of ice time by a nonplayoff team in the garbage minutes of the season. It is not that hard to rationalize giving younger players on call ups as much ice time as possible at the expense of beat-up vets, especially when you aren't necessarily trying to win games late in the year.
Odd comment considering the protected list.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad