GDT: Wings @ pens 7:00 pm et 4/4/19

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Chychrun is not impressive. Just go watch him play. He is a very pedestrian defenseman. If the Yotes had two #1 dmen in Chychrun and OEL they’d have made the playoffs

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Pedestrian > Dumpster Fire
Cholowski isn’t a dumpster fire. It seems like some people on here have the memory of a goldfish. He had a very difficult second half to his season but his first bunch of games were extremely impressive and everyone here was singing his praises. His potential is sky high and he still had tons of time to figure it out. Holland doesn’t make the best personnel decisions but that trade isn’t anything I’m losing sleep over. I’d take Hronek over Chychrun anyways 10/10 times. Cholos potential is icing on the cake.

Now drafting Riley Sheahan over Kuznetsov, that one still keeps me up at night.

Reactions: NickH8

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Hronek was part of the deal no matter how you want to spin it. Cholowski's got plenty of time and potential.

It's not spin, it's looking back at the big board for 2016 while understanding that Smith was no part of the trade when it happened, he came after the trade when they knew they had an additional pick from the trade... 7 spots after. Not only that, but it ignores the fact that the Wings drafted Smith 30 to 40 spots too early based on what many scouts saw at the time, and the team needed top D men (or just any D) far more than 'potential' grinders.

And in terms of you saying Chychrun hasn't been impressive, do you care to redress? If he were on the Wings today, he'd be the best defender they have (at 21 years old), he carries a lower cap hit than the 2 top paid guys the Wings have back there signed through 2025, and it would be one less top piece that the Wings will be hoping for in future lottery, or praying for after that.

2xt8yh.jpg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
3 years in the NHL, 3 years shortened by injury. Congrats, he will have played 1 more NHL game than Cholowski this season.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Hronek alone looks more promising than Chychrun, so I’ll take whatever we have over pedestrian if that’s the case

Brunner looked amazing, so did Leino. I'd rather have the top pair guy that's established, 3 years running.

Edit: And as a consolation, not having Neilsen on the team for the next half decade would be pretty dope.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
3 years in the NHL, 3 years shortened by injury. Congrats, he will have played 1 more NHL game than Cholowski this season.

And Frans will be around for a long while (@$5.25 mil) to remind all of us why the Wings better strike gold with Cholo and/or Hronek. Just hope it's not too soon, or there might be cap trouble. But we all know that it's not difficult to trade out of cap trouble, right!

2xta6c.jpg

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Brunner looked amazing, so did Leino. I'd rather have the top pair guy that's established, 3 years running.

Edit: And as a consolation, not having Neilsen on the team for the next half decade would be pretty dope.

Dude, he's signed for 3 more years. Half decade?! relax brah, it's ok.

Reactions: avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
1) Cholowski isn’t a dumpster fire

2) He had a very difficult second half to his season but his first bunch of games

3) His potential is sky high and he still had tons of time

4) I’d take Hronek over Chychrun anyways 10/10 times. Cholos potential is icing on the cake.

5) Now drafting Riley Sheahan over Kuznetsov, that one still keeps me up at night.

1) See your 2nd point

2) 82 games in a season, dude wasn't an NHLer when he was sent down. I agree that he was to start, but he couldn't pull out of the nosedive.

3) 45 games played by Hronek to 171, but Chychrun has had health problems, and Cholo was awful for the majority of his 45 gp. Cholo has a ways to go and it's pretty up hill. That said, I'm not too upset with Hronek over Chychrun (even with the small sample), but the Wings could have easily had both without signing Neilsen... had they just followed what 99% of scouts and analysts thought at the time. How they drafted Smith before Hronek defies all conventional logic.

5) Like I said, I feel like this was the last bad move by Holland. He was pretty crazy before that tho.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

how many top pairing guys do you think are in the league?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
1) See your 2nd point

2) 82 games in a season, dude wasn't an NHLer when he was sent down. I agree that he was to start, but he couldn't pull out of the nosedive.

3) 45 games played by Hronek to 171, but Chychrun has had health problems, and Cholo was awful for the majority of his 45 gp. Cholo has a ways to go and it's pretty up hill. That said, I'm not too upset with Hronek over Chychrun (even with the small sample), but the Wings could have easily had both without signing Neilsen... had they just followed what 99% of scouts and analysts thought at the time. How they drafted Smith before Hronek defies all conventional logic.

5) Like I said, I feel like this was the last bad move by Holland. He was pretty crazy before that tho.

I could be wrong but I think Givani Smith pick was well received by most at the time it was made...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Chrychun is far from a “top pairing defender” at this point in his career. And Cholowski just turned 21 like a month ago - far too early to write him off as bad player. He struggled as a rookie defenseman after a hot start. That’s pretty common, especially on a bad team. You’ll be eating crow in a few years IMO.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Who cares that we signed Nielsen forever? Honestly? We are a bad team rebuilding? Us having bad contracts does not matter at all right now. If anything, we should consider trading for other bad contracts in exchange for meaningful assets.

As for being at the game last night, Hronek looks amazing. Larkin is getting the C this summer. f*** the Pens.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Chrychun is far from a “top pairing defender” at this point in his career. And Cholowski just turned 21 like a month ago - far too early to write him off as bad player. He struggled as a rookie defenseman after a hot start. That’s pretty common, especially on a bad team. You’ll be eating crow in a few years IMO.

Chychrun isn't remotely close to being an established top pair guy. All we've seen from Chychrun is his ability to limp his way to 50 games per year and statistically put up numbers that don't meet the same level as Hronek.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That’s why I can’t stand this. Can’t fault the team lately.

Our team is still trying and playing for pride while the other horrendous organizations below have essentially given up and yet they’ll end being rewarded for being that way.

At least we’re trying and our players seem to be growing constantly. I’d rather have that. Maybe the hockey gods will reward us - Quick someone make a hockey sacrifice to the gods.
Do you honestly believe that the players on Buffalo, New Jersey, LA, and Ottawa are not trying? I think that's a giant misnomer. Teams have hot and cold streaks, in addition to everybody in that group just being bad to begin with.

Off-ice transactions and maneuvers can be debated, but this year there isn't a single team doing anything on the ice to lose on purpose.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's not spin, it's looking back at the big board for 2016 while understanding that Smith was no part of the trade when it happened, he came after the trade when they knew they had an additional pick from the trade... 7 spots after. Not only that, but it ignores the fact that the Wings drafted Smith 30 to 40 spots too early based on what many scouts saw at the time, and the team needed top D men (or just any D) far more than 'potential' grinders.

And in terms of you saying Chychrun hasn't been impressive, do you care to redress? If he were on the Wings today, he'd be the best defender they have (at 21 years old), he carries a lower cap hit than the 2 top paid guys the Wings have back there signed through 2025, and it would be one less top piece that the Wings will be hoping for in future lottery, or praying for after that.

View attachment 209187

Um.. what backup do you have to show Chychrun would be the best D the Wings would have?

Statistically, Danny DeKeyser has same points in same number of games in 18-19. DeKeyser has been viewed as garbage all year. All of DDK's points are ES or SH. 8 of Chychrun's 20 are on the PP.

Chychrun has had multiple injuries. At some point rate stats start turning when a guy can't stay healthy. He's missed 16-30 games a year.

Also... Chychrun will have a 4.6M cap hit next year. DDK, who is slagged immensely and treated like he's get super D talent leprosy, has one of 5M.

I'm so glad that Jakob Chychrun provides statistics at an identical level to DDK for 400k less. That really would make me feel fantastic if we had drafted him instead of Filip Hronek.

Statistically, Jakob Chychrun would be at best the #3 defenseman here. And even that's arguable, because like I just pointed out... Danny ****ing DeKeyser is on his level in most metrics.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I actually see Cholowski eventually turning into something similar to Mike Green, but a notch below Green at his peak:

An offensive defenseman who has a knack for both scoring and setting up his teammates, but will never be a plus defender.

I criticized the daylights out of that trade when it happened, but with how well Hronek has already done, and all the injuries to Chychrun, Detroit has already won that deal in my mind.

I think Cholowski will take time, but eventually settles in as a #4, routinely paired with a steady stay-at-home guy, but a great asset on the power play. I think Chychrun tops out as a 2/3 tweener if he can stay healthy. And Hronek easily grows into that same 2/3 tier, maybe even a solid second guy on the top pair.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We only have 25ish million in cap space this summer and 50 million the next.

Nielsen’s contract is destroying this franchise.

No, it's not preventing them from signing free agents, but i'd still rather not have it on the books. Same for Abdelkader, Helm, etc. Would you rather have Abdelkader and Nielsen, or put that money towards someone like Duchene?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad