GDT: Wings @ pens 7:00 pm et 4/4/19

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A saving grace here is that they selected Hronek with the additional pick in that trade. Hronek could have been selected ahead of Smith though, as many analysts thought he was a big reach at #46, and he's proving that now.

But I suppose that trade helps the current tank efforts, that's a plus! It might hurt when trying to lock up young talent down the road though.

Lot's of hot takes here....

Smith has had a good second half to the season and he is going to take a little bit of development time. He doesn't have zero chance at making the show, lots of people said this kind of stupid **** about Bertuzzi for a few years after his draft and even into his time with the Griffins. It is way too early to take that run.

Hronek is a part of the trade anyway you cut it.

Chychrun will be lucky to be Brad Stuart later in his career in this league. He doesn't have the kind of offensive chops you're saying. Exactly the reason he feel is what he looks like in the NHL. I am much more afraid we traded away Fabbro if we want to play this game, we don't need that kind of defender in any event and collected two with similar profiles in the second round over the last two drafts in terms of nice frame with physical elements and plus skating in McIsaac and Lindstrom. Chychrun is a very good skater and physically he seems to have been mature since he was 16, but his problem remains hockey IQ and that is a tough one to correct. Perhaps he will get the right partner.

Dude is a #4, an upgraded DeKeyser, why are we bemoaning having two higher ceiling players and cap space in a trade with him? Now if Fabbro blows up, well yeah that kind of puck mover is what we were looking for, that is why we took the two guys we did in the draft, higher hockey IQ and better vision factored heavily into that choice in my opinion.

Reactions: NEWing

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Nyquist, Duchene, Panarin, Skinner, Dzingel, Hayes, Nelson, Lee, Karlsson, Zuccarello, Ferland, Eberle, Myers, Gardiner, Simmonds are all younger and better than either Nielsen or Abdelkader.

Nielsen right now is better than Simmonds, his 1.63 p/60 is superior to Simmonds' 1.05 p/60.

Simmonds' 5v5 production this season is barely better than Lucic's. Detroit shouldn't even consider him as an option.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lot's of hot takes here....

Smith has had a good second half to the season and he is going to take a little bit of development time. He doesn't have zero chance at making the show, lots of people said this kind of stupid **** about Bertuzzi for a few years after his draft and even into his time with the Griffins. It is way too early to take that run.

Hronek is a part of the trade anyway you cut it.

Chychrun will be lucky to be Brad Stuart later in his career in this league. He doesn't have the kind of offensive chops you're saying. Exactly the reason he feel is what he looks like in the NHL. I am much more afraid we traded away Fabbro if we want to play this game, we don't need that kind of defender in any event and collected two with similar profiles in the second round over the last two drafts in terms of nice frame with physical elements and plus skating in McIsaac and Lindstrom. Chychrun is a very good skater and physically he seems to have been mature since he was 16, but his problem remains hockey IQ and that is a tough one to correct. Perhaps he will get the right partner.

Dude is a #4, an upgraded DeKeyser, why are we bemoaning having two higher ceiling players and cap space in a trade with him? Now if Fabbro blows up, well yeah that kind of puck mover is what we were looking for, that is why we took the two guys we did in the draft, higher hockey IQ and better vision factored heavily into that choice in my opinion.

I imagine I was one of the biggest fans of Chychrun in his draft year on this site... and at this point I don’t even think I’d trade Hronek straight up for him... nevermind Cholowski.

The scouting done on Hronek while he was playing only 8 min a night against men in his draft year is one of the more impressive things this franchise has done in the draft in awhile.

I’ll give credit where it’s due here.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I imagine I was one of the biggest fans of Chychrun in his draft year on this site... and at this point I don’t even think I’d trade Hronek straight up for him... nevermind Cholowski.

The scouting done on Hronek while he was playing only 8 min a night against men in his draft year is one of the more impressive things this franchise has done in the draft in awhile.

I’ll give credit where it’s due here.

I thought he was over scouted, but it turns out what the scouts were worried about is on display a lot when I tune in a Coyotes games. He is a gifted player physically, perhaps they can find him the right partner to really get more out of him, but all I see is a solid #4 D-man there. That is what people started downgrading him to later in the process and guys like Button (I think he was one) don't look wrong at this point... At the time I was all for the pick would have been okay with Fabbro as well, they went off board, but I get why when I look at Cholowski's tools. He is going to take developing, but there is a lot to work with there, they swung for the fences and I encourage that kind of move out of our scouting department.

Jiri Fischer special if I remember right on Hronek. We have continued to scout the Czech Republic and Slovakia closely even while others have left or cut some resources. We also clearly value the Q while some don't. The Wings have always looked for undervalued areas and they continue to do so. Sometimes it works other times it does not, but I appreciate the approach, I like that they are always looking for an edge and undervalued regions, they haven't forgotten that part of their organization success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->