GDT: Wings @ pens 7:00 pm et 4/4/19

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Looks like Lars Eller's current 3.5M/year contract started this season when the cap was 79.5M. So that's 4.4% of the cap.

For context, Nielsen was given his 5.25M/year contract when the cap was 73M. That's 7.2% of the cap.

So when the contracts were handed out, Nielsen was given significantly more than Ellers was. Yuck.
Well Nielson was signed to be a 2C while ELler re-signed with the Caps to be a 3C. Funny thing is that I hated the extension until the playoffs when he lit it up. Eller can fill in as 2C, while Nielson has been demoted to 3C and eventually 4C.

All in all a terrible signing. Would have been better to let Helm play 2C and tank.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't see that happening with Holland in charge, Abby is one of those awesome Michigan boys that are so great to have.
This is why Holland needs to go. If Holland's contract is extended, I might be done as a Red Wings fan.

I have quit watching teams when I don't like the owner (Redskins & Orioles) and/or the GM.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Anyone ever figured out what the f*** happened with the Bertuzzi penalty? Did they call a dive or what?

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Well Nielson was signed to be a 2C..

All in all a terrible signing. Would have been better to let Helm play 2C and tank.

It's all because Holland didn't want an NHL ready defenseman enough not to lose Datsyuks cap hit.

The only way this contract becomes worse is if Chlo bombs, Chychurn continues to impress, and the Wings can't move Nielsen. All pretty likely looking at current trends.

Edit: I think that was the last of the bad moves for Holland, he's been solid since.

Reactions: lilidk

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's all because Holland didn't want an NHL ready defenseman enough not to lose Datsyuks cap hit.

The only way this contract becomes worse is if Chlo bombs, Chychurn continues to impress, and the Wings can't move Nielsen. All pretty likely looking at current trends.

Edit: I think that was the last of the bad moves for Holland, he's been solid since.
Hahaha no. What has Chychrun done that's so impressive? It's likely Cholo bombs?

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Hahaha no. What has Chychrun done that's so impressive? It's likely Cholo bombs?

Chychrun stepped right into the NHL at 18, put up 20 points in 68 games, got hurt, took a while to come back, but put up 20 points in 52 games this year.

He's right behind Green in corsi, ranking out as a top pairing defender (40 spots ahead of Dekeyser, 20 spots ahead of Jensen). Cholo was outside of the top 500 either for statistical reasons, or because of his demotion.
20190404_230502.jpg

I also said "trending". If you're looking for a detailed explanation on why I used that word...

I was citing how Cholo started looking totally out of his element in the NHL so he got sent down to try to become a 'consistent NHL player' in any part of the 6 slotted defenders. Chychrun has been that and more for 3 years already, slotting in the top 4 solidly, bottom end of top 2.

NHL Player Ratings, NHL Player Rankings

Last edited:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
A saving grace here is that they selected Hronek with the additional pick in that trade. Hronek could have been selected ahead of Smith though, as many analysts thought he was a big reach at #46, and he's proving that now.

But I suppose that trade helps the current tank efforts, that's a plus! It might hurt when trying to lock up young talent down the road though.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hronek was part of the deal no matter how you want to spin it. Cholowski's got plenty of time and potential.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
double minor highsticking to both players I believe?
Yes, that's what it shows in the box score. Watching the replay, Bertuzzi whacked him with the stick when he threw his gloves in the air. Stupid move, was he trying to pretend he's Crosby?

Bert deserved 2 more for diving. Getting whacked in the face doesn't cause you to start flailing.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yes, that's what it shows in the box score. Watching the replay, Bertuzzi whacked him with the stick when he threw his gloves in the air. Stupid move, was he trying to pretend he's Crosby?

Bert deserved 2 more for diving. Getting whacked in the face doesn't cause you to start flailing.
He got hit in the face with a stick hard enough to draw blood...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad