Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Panthers, Thursday 19/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Are people really saying they'd be happy wih Babcock walking due to his treatment of Stephen Weiss?

What Babcock's done with this defense is remarkable. Weiss obviously has some issues.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I just think too many players passed him on the depth chart the last two years. he hasn't been THAT good to really take a more important role. I do agree he should be gone if he won't be used.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Normal babcock blatant favoritism to his favorates while push down the ones he does not like. Legwand now Weiss but keep playing Ericson.
Or maybe it's just that David Legwand was washed up. Are we forgetting that he's a healthy scratch on a bad team this year?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just think too many players passed him on the depth chart the last two years. he hasn't been THAT good to really take a more important role. I do agree he should be gone if he won't be used.

Which is why I find it baffling that people don't see him being bought out as likely or understandable.

It's crunch time now in the season, and dude is getting benched for a rookie who is struggling offensively, and Joakim freaking Andersson.

It's great he went on that little run for 10-15 games, but that's not enough.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Which is why I find it baffling that people don't see him being bought out as likely or understandable.

It's crunch time now in the season, and dude is getting benched for a rookie who is struggling offensively, and Joakim freaking Andersson.

It's great he went on that little run for 10-15 games, but that's not enough.

I don't see why we wouldn't buy him out at this point, either. Yeah, we'll be paying him to not be here and for more years than what is left on his deal. At the same time, the cap hit will be less and we'll at least get the roster spot back to use on someone we may actually put on the ice.

Unless the guy is still having health/strength issues and the team is just keeping mum about it, hoping he'll come back stronger and more ready to play next year, their treatment of him this year is just a waste of an asset.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Oh really? Where do you see him going?

I think he ends up in Pittsburgh. He would do well there. I bet they'd win a Cup or two with Babcock leading the way. A core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Maatta will be easy to build around. He can get absolute power if he wants it.

Also, I don't believe the DRW front office resigned Blashill and wouldn't let him speak to any other NHL clubs without intending for him to be the Head Coach one day. He's the future in Detroit. Detroit had to transition away from Scotty Bowman, just like they will eventually have to transition away from Babcock. Not even Bowman has coached in Detroit as long as Babcock, although they are completely different circumstances.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Also, producing 7th best on the team.

The guy can't PK so he's not going to fit the Wings plans as a bottom 6 player. He's also not been good enough to justify putting him on the top lines.

There's 2 types of Red Wings:
1) Guys who play the PK
2) Guys who play in the top 6

If you're not either one of those, you're not going to see much ice. It's the same reason Jurco is having such a hard time, too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Whats Jurco and Nyquist playing bottom 6 for then? Neither of these play on the PK.

Yeah, I specifically mentioned Jurco as also having trouble getting regular ice time.

As for Nyquist, his minutes will not be bottom 6, and you know it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Out of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Abdelkader, Cole, Nyquist, Tatar, Helm, Sheahan, and Pulkkinen which one do you sit to play Weiss in the top 9?

Datsyuk is out.

If I remember right, the board loved Weiss' game when he came back, he was a PPG player, he was going into dirty areas and looked real good.
What happened?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Datsyuk is out.

If I remember right, the board loved Weiss' game when he came back, he was a PPG player, he was going into dirty areas and looked real good.
What happened?

2 bad bounces in a game

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
People really tend to overrate that BS around here. C'mon, let's start counting total turnovers for every player, all this season. I've never defended him pretty much and was highly sceptical by myself.
But you guys can't be serious.

And as 14ari13 indicated already: Sitting Weiss right now is hard to understand, while Dats being out. Give him a shot to prove that he's better than anyone from the recent top 9. If he isn't? Fine.
But naw, let's sit him right away and not even give some of the usual minutes on the 4th line.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
So it's a sure win tonight? The more people ***** about Babcock's lineup decisions, the more likely it is we win.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You didn't watch the Boston game?

Are you seriously throwing that out as a viable reason? He had a bad game so he can't get back in the lineup unless multiple injuries to key players happen, maybe not even then? He's had essentially one game since being here where he had a clear hand in losing and now he's de facto press box fodder. That's a crock.

This isn't even about how good Weiss is or can be but about giving a guy a fair shake. If we end up needing Weiss in the playoffs - and we all know how quickly Datsyuk heals - he's going to be cold as ice, have zero confidence, and his relationship with Babcock will be more strained than ever. The reasons for getting Weiss into the lineup tonight in a third line role with some players who have jump against his former franchise blow the "reasons" for keeping him out to smithereens. If Weiss has another bad game, then fine. The likelihood that it costs us any points are next to nil. But if he has a good one, he has something to build on going in to the playoffs.

The one benefit of this is that IF we can still find a taker for a $5M 14th forward, Weiss will probably waive to go pretty much anywhere. Even Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad