Post-Game Talk: Wings LOVE overtime

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Was Abby on the top line all night or did Blash messwith the lines a bit during the game? On Abby's one goal had Ericsson Dekeyser assist and he assisted on Miller's goal as well.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe they're just goin for the record of how many games they can get to OT. Is that even a thing?? What is the record anybody know?

No they tried that 2 years ago or so. Remember that stretch where we got into like 10 ot games in a row or something?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
No they tried that 2 years ago or so. Remember that stretch where we got into like 10 ot games in a row or something?

Babcock hockey.

So we have like points in last 8?

We should pile up some points now.

We do not get outshot either.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No mention of how ridiculously dominant 14-15-21 was tonight?

Nyquist was on for 19 CF and 2 CA in 5 on 5 play.
Tatar: 18 CF and 1 CA
Sheahan: 16 CF and 2 CA
They were fantastic in this one. Goes to show what a 3rd line with that much talent on it can do against teams that don't have the same kind of depth.
Tatar especially is starting to play the way he did last year.
Datsyuks lack of production is starting to get concerning
He had a couple of really close calls in this one. He's creating chances. But he's been playing with Helm/Jurco/Pulkkinen/Richards and none of those guys are scoring goals. Points will come.

15 is doing all of the dirty work for that line, not super noticeable because he doesn't have the puck much, but he's making things happen. The kid has been playing tremendous hockey for a little bit here, hopefully he can keep it up.
Sheahan gets too much crap. He complements Tatar and Nyquist really well. He puts in a lot of hard work and does a lot of little smart plays. I always keep hoping for more from Sheahan, but lately he is at least looking really good in the 3rd line C+PK role.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah the way 21-15-14 plays I'm very comfortable with a future looking like:
Mantha-Larkness monster-Svech
Goose-Tubby-Tats
AA-Abby-whoever
as our forward group assuming Mantha and Svech turn out.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Wow, Richards is like 38% in his career in SO's, gotta be up there in the top of the league?

I wish there was a website that had the information for their career, but alas, there is only a yearly stats breakdown (Edit, found it! )

Kovalchuk's and Wolski's stats are insane! Adrian Aucoin also scored 6 times on 9 shots in 09-10 season, all game deciding goals!

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
"The Emperor's New Clothes" here, gang: yet another situation where Wings were up by 2 goals and ended up going to OT. Choking the lead is bad enough; all these OTs are going to eventually wear down the team and it needs to stop.

I'll say this, though - I got a huge kick when we were on the PK, Helm sends the puck into the offensive zone but loses his stick. Helm and a Sabre are racing down the ice to get to the puck...equipment coach goes to hand Helm a stick but he's too far back and Helm can't reach it. Helm's not gonna stop at the bench to get a stick, it's a potential SH goal situation.

So what happens? Z sticks out his stick to Helm, Helm grabs it without breaking his stride and gets to the puck first.

THAT was cool. :clap:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
all these OTs are going to eventually wear down the team and it needs to stop.

Obviously it's better to straight up win than to keep going to OT, but that said, I highly doubt <5 min of 3v3 hockey per game is going to do anything to the team's long term health.

It's just not intense hockey. Very little hitting or shot blocking. Just a possession game with 3 or 4 breakaways and it's over.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Richards has a scoring percentage of 39.63% in shootouts, which is good for 40th on the all-time list. Toews, Nielsen and Boyes are the top three. (Link here)

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Wow, Richards is like 38% in his career in SO's, gotta be up there in the top of the league?

I was pretty surprised by that too. Just don't think of him as a goal scorer one on one. But hey good on him

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
3 on 3 is not intense? Maybe not for you watching. But for the players that try and win its very intense. Especially the goalies

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2 points is what matters. We looked great offensively, but took too many penalties and the PK and Mrazek didn't have great nights.

Larkin vs. Eichel was a huge letdown too. Both were invisible. Otherwise a pretty fun game.

Interesting that Larkin had 5 shots on goal, but I got only 2 as real scoring attempts. 3 weak pucks dumped on the goaltender. Eichel got his first shot on goal at 59:35, and could have won the game burying that shot. It was a good chance.

Larkin played his worst game of the season.

My eye-test scoring attempts + good plays:

Player, Goals+Assists+Attempt+Created+Screened+Other good play = Total
LW Larkin, 0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2
C Zetterberg, 0+0+2+1+0+1 = 4
RW Abdelkader, 2+1+2+2+0+0 = 7
------------------- Weak game from this line. Zetterberg still strugglin and now Larkin too. Abdelkader tried to carry it. 2 goals, 2 other attempts, 1 assist, 2 created attempts, 3 hits, 1 fight, quite night for Abdelkader. :)

LW Richards, 0+0+2+0+0+1 = 3
C Datsyuk, 0+0+4+5+0+0 = 9
RW Helm, 0+0+3+3+2+1 = 9
------------------- My god Helm just can't bury the god damn puck anymore. Great chemistry between him and Dats but even Dats couldn't bury his "basic-pavel-datsyuk"-chances. Crazy. Pulkkinen also saw time in here and was swapped with Richards (who kind of sucked).

LW Tatar, 1+0+5+2+0+0 = 8
C Sheahan, 0+0+7+1+2+2 = 12
RW Nyquist, 0+2+1+4+0+0 = 7
------------------- What a heck was this game from Sheahan? :amazed: No points but our season-high 12 good plays in one game. Glorious chances but nothing goes in. Just bad puck luck this time. Should have deserved a goal or two. Also good rebound game from Tatar after his bad off-game against Florida. Nyquist 1 scoring play and 6 created? Now turning to that playmaker he naturally is?

LW Miller, 1+0+3+0+0+0 = 4
C Glendening, 0+1+0+1+0+2 = 4
RW Pulkkinen, 0+0+2+2+0+0 = 4
-------------------- Nice to see these guys scoring once in a while. It was some weird shift Abdelkader with them (Akader assisted that goal).

LD Kronwall, 0+1+0+4+0+1 = 6
RD Green, 0+1+2+3+0+0 = 6
LD DeKeyser, 0+1+0+3+0+0 = 4
RD Ericsson, 0+1+1+0+0+1 = 3
LD Smith, 0+0+0+1+0+1 = 2
RD Marchenko, 0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2

Great game from our TOP3. Also good shot from Ericsson that bounced in. Funny to see Kronwall creating a scoring chance by hitting on the 3rd period. But Zetterberg couldn't bury his patent-backhand. This time it was at least from good sector.

Period distribution:

Detroit vs. Buffalo 5-4 (so)
Scoring attempts
0 -10min, 5-6
10-20min, 7-7
20-30min, 5-6
30-40min, 10-3
40-50min, 4-6
50-60min, 9-1 (Buffalo had only 1 after we were trailing 3-4)
Overtime, 2-5 (5 PP attempts for Buffalo and then 2 for Tatar)
Total Attempts 42-34

ES attempts: 38-21
PP attempts, 3-13
SH attempts, 1-0

Our penalties kept Buffalo on the game. At even strength, we dominated.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was wondering how on earth Richards got 16 votes from this game, because he was Weiss-bad at 65 mins.

But then I noticed it was the shootout winner. :)

Hopefully that gives his confidence back. Still no real goal scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad