Post-Game Talk: Wings LOVE overtime

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Refs were garbage. You can say we were undisciplined but Buffalo was doing the same exact thing all night long and nothing.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
No mention of how ridiculously dominant 14-15-21 was tonight?

Nyquist was on for 19 CF and 2 CA in 5 on 5 play.
Tatar: 18 CF and 1 CA
Sheahan: 16 CF and 2 CA

14 and 21 were very visible all night. I did not notice 15. Was he a passenger, or did I just miss him?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No mention of how ridiculously dominant 14-15-21 was tonight?

Nyquist was on for 19 CF and 2 CA in 5 on 5 play.
Tatar: 18 CF and 1 CA
Sheahan: 16 CF and 2 CA

People like to rag on Sheahan. But that line is Dominant.

Also Datsyuk def isnt 100% He is falling too much for that to be Datsyuk. Also taking forever to get up. I saw Datsyuk and I was scratching my head because the last 2 games i have seen him in the ot lineup he falls and then the other team gets the puck and scores.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
What a crazy concept, we get a lot of shots and we score goals. Weird.

Anyway, not Mrazek's best but the D had their issues. Glad to get a win even if it is vs the Sabres

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
What a crazy concept, we get a lot of shots and we score goals. Weird.

Anyway, not Mrazek's best but the D had their issues. Glad to get a win even if it is vs the Sabres

6th in the NHL in points. Tell us how terrible they are again.

Aug 6, 2012
14 and 21 were very visible all night. I did not notice 15. Was he a passenger, or did I just miss him?

15 is doing all of the dirty work for that line, not super noticeable because he doesn't have the puck much, but he's making things happen. The kid has been playing tremendous hockey for a little bit here, hopefully he can keep it up.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I haven't seen too much of the Wings this season but I think the touch-and-go nature of the Wings speaks to the transition this team is going through. As much as people want to talk about Blashill v. Babcock, this season is just as much about Dekeyser/Larkin/Nyquist/Tatar v. Kronwall/Datsyuk/Zetterberg. IMO, this season is as much about passing the torch between coaches as it is players.

Either way, we're blessed that we're keeping our heads above water. We might be running on fumes in terms of our prospects for the next few years but I also enjoy seeing the team develop its youth while still remaining competitive.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
can we re-visit the posters complaining about the reffing after the OT call?

anyone?

anyone?

bueller?

Reffing was pretty awful... Kane dove better than Phelps on that one...but they gave us some makeups...it was pretty awful all game. I do feel that the wings got the short end, but you'll probably call homer on that, regardless I'm not looking for an argument so this is the last post you'll get out of me.

Aug 6, 2012
The parity is so ridiculous right now. Wings are tied for 6th in overall points :amazed:

Getting around the time where teams start pulling away from each other. Keep racking up those W's.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
"...this is all I am tryna say here: if you put me in the game, Brad Bramish is gonna do what needs to be done. But they don't put me in...what needs doing ain't gonna get done. And then don't come cryin to me, Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo, if you don't put me in the game!"
-Brad Richards during tonight's OT/shootout

*bonus: can you name the movie reference? :-D

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I haven't seen too much of the Wings this season but I think the touch-and-go nature of the Wings speaks to the transition this team is going through. As much as people want to talk about Blashill v. Babcock, this season is just as much about Dekeyser/Larkin/Nyquist/Tatar v. Kronwall/Datsyuk/Zetterberg. IMO, this season is as much about passing the torch between coaches as it is players.

Either way, we're blessed that we're keeping our heads above water. We might be running on fumes in terms of our prospects for the next few years but I also enjoy seeing the team develop its youth while still remaining competitive.

The transition has already slowly been happening over the past 2-3 seasons IMO. Every year, the young guys take on more and more of the responsibility as Z, Dats, and Kronwall age out and decline as players. Z at the end of last season and this season so far looks as bad as I can ever remember. The Red Wings point totals over the last 3 seasons have stayed relatively steady.... 96 (pace), 93, 100....but every year the core guys have gotten older, slower, and worse. So that means the young guys are picking up the slack (more or less) to keep the point totals similar.

Now, if they could just get a young top end defenseman I would be very content with the future of the team. I'm hopeful for Svechnikov and I think Mantha will be a better NHLer than AHLer.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The parity is so ridiculous right now. Wings are tied for 6th in overall points :amazed:

Getting around the time where teams start pulling away from each other. Keep racking up those W's.

As always, P% is a better indicator. In that we are tied for 13th @ 60%. But the Sharks are in 9th with only 60.9%. So we're not far off from last season. Very middle of the pack.

Dallas has a freaking 79.2% what the hell. Last season's best was 68.9%.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
According to ansar this is what happened

Someone actually asked Blashill this question: "Discipline a little bit of a problem maybe the Smith thing?"

Sure, Smith should have just stood there while Kane battered the team captain. Brilliant!

Here was Blashill's response: "I would tell Brendan Smith get involved in that every day, all day. He’s going in to help Hank out and I was really glad he jumped in there. I’d tell him to do it again for sure and if we’ve got to kill a penalty for it, we’ll kill a penalty for it. Over the long haul of the year, we’ll stick up for each other every night."

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The transition has already slowly been happening over the past 2-3 seasons IMO. Every year, the young guys take on more and more of the responsibility as Z, Dats, and Kronwall age out and decline as players. Z at the end of last season and this season so far looks as bad as I can ever remember. The Red Wings point totals over the last 3 seasons have stayed relatively steady.... 96 (pace), 93, 100....but every year the core guys have gotten older, slower, and worse. So that means the young guys are picking up the slack (more or less) to keep the point totals similar.

Now, if they could just get a young top end defenseman I would be very content with the future of the team. I'm hopeful for Svechnikov and I think Mantha will be a better NHLer than AHLer.

I don't disagree, but this year seems particularly evident. Z has slowed, Datsyuk is taking forever to put up points since his return, Kronwall has been mediocre at best...meanwhile Larkin is basically leading the charge 4 out of 5 nights and Nike/Tats are heating up while the vets are slowing down. That kind of disparity in age/experience isn't something we've really seen yet, particularly with the concurrence of Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall all underwhelming at once.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't disagree, but this year seems particularly evident. Z has slowed, Datsyuk is taking forever to put up points since his return, Kronwall has been mediocre at best...meanwhile Larkin is basically leading the charge 4 out of 5 nights and Nike/Tats are heating up while the vets are slowing down. That kind of disparity in age/experience isn't something we've really seen yet, particularly with the concurrence of Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall all underwhelming at once.

I was agreeing with you FWIW....just adding a bit more to what you said. :)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
According to ansar this is what happened

Someone actually asked Blashill this question: "Discipline a little bit of a problem maybe the Smith thing?"

Sure, Smith should have just stood there while Kane battered the team captain. Brilliant!

Here was Blashill's response: "I would tell Brendan Smith get involved in that every day, all day. He’s going in to help Hank out and I was really glad he jumped in there. I’d tell him to do it again for sure and if we’ve got to kill a penalty for it, we’ll kill a penalty for it. Over the long haul of the year, we’ll stick up for each other every night."

I'm pretty sure if our top 4 were better, Brendan Smith would be an ideal #5 defenseman. The guy has a little bit of everything. Unfortunately, he's too dumb (or perhaps too unfocused?) to be a top 4, but he's a great pinch hitter for pretty much anything you need. Fighting, speed, offense, grit, even defense if you limit him in that way.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Datsyuk is playing great though. Points will come for him.

I'm pretty sure if our top 4 were better, Brendan Smith would be an ideal #5 defenseman. The guy has a little bit of everything. Unfortunately, he's too dumb (or perhaps too unfocused?) to be a top 4, but he's a great pinch hitter for pretty much anything you need. Fighting, speed, offense, grit, even defense if you limit him in that way.

Dude Smith is barely cutting it as a 7th defenseman rotating in with Kindl. An ideal #5? Maybe if he plays 10 soft minutes a night because we have Lidstrom, Rafalski, Keith, and Suter as our top4 crunching the other 50.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I'm impressed by every team in the NHL. Other games I've watched or vs. the Wings it is some awesome hockey. Used to be games you knew would be a snoozefest because of weak competition but I'd say even a Buffalo team is not that far from the top.

Good some of our depth guys Abdelkader, Miller(I was very wrong about him not scoring), Helm could put up some points or in Helm's case was noticeably effective. The entire team played well (ok except big E, haha). Gus and Tatar, wow the 1st shifts of the game they were flung from a cannon I couldn't believe some of their moves. Euro twins 2.0 all the way, I love those two.

Blashill had me scratching my head starting to tinker with the lines again after we have a 3-1 lead! Damn he almost blew it. For the 2nd game we got a little taste of Dats-Tats-Gus which is exciting but didn't last. I was sceptical but Helm did a decent job on the 2nd line. Feel kind of bad for Richards but in the 3rd period Pulkkinen was a welcome boost for that line they had some strong shifts.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Datsyuk is playing great though. Points will come for him.

Dude Smith is barely cutting it as a 7th defenseman rotating in with Kindl. An ideal #5? Maybe if he plays 10 soft minutes a night because we have Lidstrom, Rafalski, Keith, and Suter as our top4 crunching the other 50.

Smith has been garbage this year.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Maybe they're just goin for the record of how many games they can get to OT. Is that even a thing?? What is the record anybody know?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Maybe they're just goin for the record of how many games they can get to OT. Is that even a thing?? What is the record anybody know?

Well, they're at least getting a lot of 3-on-3 OT experience this year. Hopefully it will be beneficial as the season progresses.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'm very excited we won. That doesnt mean I am at all happy that we blew another 3rd period lead. Lots of work needs to be done, but you need to secure all the points you can get.

Just get 2 points any way you can.;)

Agreed.

He has so much skill, yet he always tries that stupid move. When was the last time we saw "The Datsyuk". Should have pulled it out here against a rookie goalie.
+1
Last 8 games, 13 out of a possible 16 points.
:handclap::yo:

Indeed. Just get points now is all that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad