OT: Wings Lounge: The Octopus Garden is in the Atlantic

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Got through about 7 episodes and quit. Very disappointed. It's OK, but not what it was.

I just came here to ask others, glad I'm not alone.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Didn't like the 4th season overall, some episodes were hysterical while others were downright unbearable. I felt the character specific episodes caused it to be too cluttered with too much going on at once. Having said that I'm not going to call it a failure until the movie comes out, I think it seems bad now because all the stories were left unresolved and I think any movie/series (whatever you want to call it) will seem bad without a conclusion.

Also ProPain according to IMDB the movie is already in development and this season was supposed to be the setup for the movie.

Earlier this year (2013), the show's creator Mitch Hurwitz revealed that he wants to follow the new season with a full-length Arrested Development feature film. He said at the time: "This is the first act of what we would like to complete in a movie. These are episodes that set that up. One does not work without the other."

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/arrested-development-return-date-confirmed-by-net/305438

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I think the movie will bomb. Unless it's a movie for TV or another Netflix thing. AD appeals to its fans only. You can't just start watching it casually. The general audience won't enjoy it, especially if they don't know what the show is about.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Didn't like the 4th season overall, some episodes were hysterical while others were downright unbearable. I felt the character specific episodes caused it to be too cluttered with too much going on at once. Having said that I'm not going to call it a failure until the movie comes out, I think it seems bad now because all the stories were left unresolved and I think any movie/series (whatever you want to call it) will seem bad without a conclusion.

Also ProPain according to IMDB the movie is already in development and this season was supposed to be the setup for the movie.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/arrested-development-return-date-confirmed-by-net/305438

One of the biggest problems I found with the character-driven episodes was that you'd go multiple episodes in a row and not have main characters show up. I think George Michael was MIA for 6 or more episodes in a row. I know he's a minor character to be sure, but I honestly can't get enough Gene Parmesan. He's the best.

And I really thought the main theme/common storyline of Lucille in prison just wasn't very interesting. Just have 2 more episodes to get through to complete the season, but I guess Dolph is giving the heads up that there a lot of loose ends left.

I thought they went a little overboard at times with so many references and direct quotes from episodes from the first 3 seasons, too. At first I liked it, but then thought they were going out of their way to keep dropping famous lines which really seemed out of place.

There were some pretty funny lines, though. The best ones, just like in the first 3 seasons, are just slipped into the dialogue and they are fantastic. The wife and I are using variations of the "I wouldn't put all my Annes in that basket" line from one of the episodes, and there were some other pretty good lines.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I think the movie will bomb. Unless it's a movie for TV or another Netflix thing. AD appeals to its fans only. You can't just start watching it casually. The general audience won't enjoy it, especially if they don't know what the show is about.

I disagree, if it is a wide release I don't think it will be a blockbuster but I don't think it'll be a bomb. I agree with your comment that you can't jump in and enjoy it but that fact only makes a movie flop if the following is relatively small which was the case when it got cancelled. However AD has a very large following now, I mean shows don't come back from the dead after ≈10 years without a massive amount of fans.

And I really thought the main theme/common storyline of Lucille in prison just wasn't very interesting. Just have 2 more episodes to get through to complete the season, but I guess Dolph is giving the heads up that there a lot of loose ends left.

Oops sorry I didn't mean to give the ending away.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I thought AD started REALLYYYYY slow, but got better as it went on.

The George Sr. and Lindsay episodes were extremely challenging to get through, IMO.

Tobias, Gob and George Michael had some really funny episodes, though.

Overall I was just happy to see more AD :D

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The problem with the new AD is as you're watching it, you don't get half the jokes. It's not until the stories start to overlap that you go, "Oh, I guess that random thing from 5 episodes ago was kinda funny."

And that doesn't, retroactively, make the first several episodes enjoyable.

It also doesn't help I've had the show on a comedy pedestal for years and it came tumbling off, proving it was not quite Solid as a Rock.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The problem with the new AD is as you're watching it, you don't get half the jokes. It's not until the stories start to overlap that you go, "Oh, I guess that random thing from 5 episodes ago was kinda funny."

It also doesn't help I've had the show on a comedy pedestal for years and it came tumbling off, proving it was not quite Solid as a Rock.

Oh, no doubt the format didn't work out quite as well as everyone hoped.

Based on what I saw, though, I would expect the movie to be as funny as seasons 1-3. Episodes where interactions between main/recognizable characters were happening at a decent clip were still hilarious for me.

We (the viewers) just needed a few more group sequences, but didn't really get them. I can't stress how awful the George Sr. episodes were.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

:laugh::laugh: Let the record show that I ****** the business model.

Consider me guilty as charged when it comes to having the show on a comedy pedestal also. I tried to keep my expectations down for the new season, but I apparently wasn't able to do that quite enough.

The thing is, they totally pulled off the "you don't get all the jokes until you've seen all of the episodes" thing before in glorious fashion. One of my faves was Buster saying "Hey, it's my old hand chair. I never thought I'd miss a hand so much" a 8-10 episodes before he actually loses his hand. Good Lord, the second time I made it through the episodes I was absolutely dying laughing when he dropped that line. Maybe the new season's jokes will be exponentially more funny on a 2nd viewing; just not sure when/if I could commit to that.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Oh, no doubt the format didn't work out quite as well as everyone hoped.

Based on what I saw, though, I would expect the movie to be as funny as seasons 1-3. Episodes where interactions between main/recognizable characters were happening at a decent clip were still hilarious for me.

We (the viewers) just needed a few more group sequences, but didn't really get them. I can't stress how awful the George Sr. episodes were.

Yeah, I think a movie having a ton of scenes with most/all of the family present would bring back the best parts of the first 3 seasons. I need to see some George Sr mocking Tobias who then cries into his towel in the shower, as well as a hell of a lot more Buster. If nothing else ES, your optimism is giving me hope for the last few new episodes I haven't seen yet.

Oh, I was part of a total Tobias/Michael situation at work this past week, and it was freaking awesome! I work at a local University in the finance dept, and we had a team meeting about best practices in handling student accounts. I made a point that the current system involves too many of us working each account, opening the door for possible mistakes, etc.

My coworker: "With so many of us working each account separately, we all end up touching all of the students."

Me: "There's got to be a better way to phrase that."

I was kinda glad that I got to be Michael in that situation. :D

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I think a movie having a ton of scenes with most/all of the family present would bring back the best parts of the first 3 seasons. I need to see some George Sr mocking Tobias who then cries into his towel in the shower, as well as a hell of a lot more Buster. If nothing else ES, your optimism is giving me hope for the last few new episodes I haven't seen yet.

Oh, I was part of a total Tobias/Michael situation at work this past week, and it was freaking awesome! I work at a local University in the finance dept, and we had a team meeting about best practices in handling student accounts. I made a point that the current system involves too many of us working each account, opening the door for possible mistakes, etc.

My coworker: "With so many of us working each account separately, we all end up touching all of the students."

Me: "There's got to be a better way to phrase that."

I was kinda glad that I got to be Michael in that situation. :D

Yes, the last few episodes are pretty sweet. Buster's is very funny.

The family dynamic made the show what it was, so no surprise for me that the separated characters didn't come across as well.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I disagree, if it is a wide release I don't think it will be a blockbuster but I don't think it'll be a bomb. I agree with your comment that you can't jump in and enjoy it but that fact only makes a movie flop if the following is relatively small which was the case when it got cancelled. However AD has a very large following now, I mean shows don't come back from the dead after ≈10 years without a massive amount of fans.

Massive? It doesn't have a huge following outside of the US (that I know of anyways). And as I said, if the make a movie, it will cater to a small demographic of people who have watched the show (and still want to watch it after that disappointing 4th season). Unless they do a movie that doesn't require watching the show before (which will be tough), I don't see it doing well at all.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wasn't prepared. :laugh:

Thanks for that laugh. I'm on day 3 of organizing the garage. I believe garages somehow defy physical limitations in their ability to consume so much clutter.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So how do you guys feel about the Google Glass?

On one hand, I think it's an amazing piece of technology that blurs role of technology in our everyday lives even more than current smartphones.

On the other hand, I think it's going to be the most annoying social disruption since the smartphone. And this doesn't even factor how many idiots will be texting or Facebooking with that thing while driving.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I'm very skeptical about Google Glass. It could be a very helpful piece of tech, but there are so many factors ranging from safety to actually looking like an idiot walking down the street and talking to a pair of glasses (if it could read your mind, it would be perfect).

I think Glass is disabled if the user is driving. I read that somewhere. Still, I'm not a fan of it right now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It will eventually be refined enough to be extremely useful, but I don't expect it to be very good when they are first launched.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
In light of all the recent news around the NSA, I just want to assure everybody that we only give the really juicy information to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad