GDT: Wings @ Leafs 7:30, 12/23

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Anyone else wonder why Abby didn't go for a change after the clear with the empty net? He came back out of gas and then botched a clear that would probably sealed the game.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Cant deny his production, but Matthews just doesnt impress me when watching him. Good shot though.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
The Leafs are going to have a lot of success going forward. All of the players that they have drafted over the past five years to be their core players have lived up to or surpassed expectations. You really can't ask for a better situation.

Marner and Matthews are both RFA after this year. Let's see what they get, I can see them both getting over $10 million each.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cant deny his production, but Matthews just doesnt impress me when watching him. Good shot though.
Really? Jeez.

He is seriously impressive to me. Very strong in the puck. Incredible poise with the puck. Incredible hockey sense offensively. Disgustingly good shot from release to accuracy. He's pretty big. And unlike Rasmussen who looks like he's a twig, Matthews is solid.

And he's so young. He's only going to get better.

It's all a question of whether he can stay healthy.

Marner and Matthews are both RFA after this year. Let's see what they get, I can see them both getting over $10 million each.
Best problem to have. Actually a problem you WANT to have. It means you have too many elite young players. You can't call that a problem. It's an embarrassment of riches. It just sounds like those rich people who say "you don't know the problems being this rich creates." Cry me a river. No one wouldn't want to swap places with that person.

Reactions: avssuc

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Really? Jeez.

He is seriously impressive to me. Very strong in the puck. Incredible poise with the puck. Incredible hockey sense offensively. Disgustingly good shot from release to accuracy. He's pretty big. And unlike Rasmussen who looks like he's a twig, Matthews is solid.

And he's so young. He's only going to get better.

It's all a question of whether he can stay healthy.

Best problem to have. Actually a problem you WANT to have. It means you have too many elite young players. You can't call that a problem. It's an embarrassment of riches. It just sounds like those rich people who say "you don't know the problems being this rich creates." Cry me a river. No one wouldn't want to swap places with that person.

When you pay more than half the cap on 4 players it kind of ruins your depth which you need in today's NHL.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Gardiner would be a welcome asset.
Jesus christ, no

They shouldn't even be in the cap situation they're in. They had all the cap space in the world to easily sign all three players two seasons ago. All three players should have been locked up by now. For as great as the team is, they still have issues on the back end and likely won't be able to address it without trading more depth. Hey, if they win the Cup this year I guess it doesn't matter, but they are going to be where Chicago is at, but without the championships.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nah man, I love watching Auston Matthews play hockey and he impresses the shit out of me. His release is unreal and I think he's got the quiet drive to become a more responsible center. Dude just drives a line in the right direction.

Marner though, love that kid. Stud. Can kill penalties and is an eye-popping offensive talent.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Why the hell not? The guy is dynamic as hell.

Marner impresses me so much more, both offensively and defensively. Last year in the playoffs he was by far the best leafs player too.

Idk whenever we play Matthews he doesn't seem to do much besides score on a few shots from the slot. His shot is absurdly good, I think the best in the league.

Reactions: Realgud

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

He doesn’t impress the same way Lids didn’t impress people. He does the little things right. Matthews is a very impressive player because he doesn’t need to be all flash to be good.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
When you pay more than half the cap on 4 players it kind of ruins your depth which you need in today's NHL.
But that's totally in their control.

They don't have to keep everyone. They can pick 3. Trade the other one for a high pick for a great young player on an ELC for a few years. Trade it for good but cheap depth.

The point is they hold all the cards. They have all the options.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
He doesn’t impress the same way Lids didn’t impress people. He does the little things right. Matthews is a very impressive player because he doesn’t need to be all flash to be good.

He's a lot like Sakic was at the height of the rivalry in that sense. Never looked as impressive or dominant the way Forsberg did, but would end up doing just as much damage on the scoreboard in the end.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's a lot like Sakic was at the height of the rivalry in that sense. Never looked as impressive or dominant the way Forsberg did, but would end up doing just as much damage on the scoreboard in the end.

Good comparison.

Peter Forsberg is still the player I've feared most ever in hockey.

But Sakic did the same damage.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Are you suggesting the Leafs should have won a cup somewhere between when they won the draft lottery in April 2016 and December 2018 (now) in order to have successfully tanked?

They're in for a cap nightmare. If Matthews takes anything under 12.5 million and Marner takes less than 11, It'll be a miracle. That's what, $30 million in 3 players?

And their defense sucks so bad... Wings (of all teams lol ) completely outshot them. They give up a ton of goals every game, their only hope is to outscore their opponent. That shit just won't fly in the playoffs; they'll get exposed and shutdown.

And if they are paying 3 players $30+ million, they're not going to ever afford depth or respectable defensemen. Top heavy with no substance. Not how you want to build a team, that's for damn sure.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
They're in for a cap nightmare. If Matthews takes anything under 12.5 million and Marner takes less than 11, It'll be a miracle. That's what, $30 million in 3 players?

And their defense sucks so bad... Wings (of all teams lol ) completely outshot them. They give up a ton of goals every game, their only hope is to outscore their opponent. That **** just won't fly in the playoffs; they'll get exposed and shutdown.

And if they are paying 3 players $30+ million, they're not going to ever afford depth or respectable defensemen. Top heavy with no substance. Not how you want to build a team, that's for damn sure.

top 5 cap hits of cup winners usually take about 50% of the cap space. but yes, it makes building depth a lot harder (but not impossible).

Reactions: Frk It

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

People still make this argument?

Look at Chicago and Pittsburgh. You need 4 elite players and a good goalie to win a cup.

Washington did it with about 7 really really really good players and the best goal scorer of all time. But none are crosby/malkin level.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
People still make this argument?

Look at Chicago and Pittsburgh. You need 4 elite players and a good goalie to win a cup.

Washington did it with about 7 really really really good players and the best goal scorer of all time. But none are crosby/malkin level.
Chicago won before Kane/Toews got massive contracts and before their D started going down the drain.

Toronto can certainly win with a top heavy forward group and Rielly+Scrubs on D, but I don't think they are heading for an optimal situation long term. They might need to get creative to go all the way, like Pittsburgh did by picking up guys like Daley, Schultz and Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad