Ansar Khan: Wings interested in Vanek among others

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The same mistakes in the sense that they're trying to be competitive when they have no business being competitive.
I don’t think they’re operating under some idea that Vanek is the missing piece. There’s really no need for this team to deliberately try to get worse than they already are. More assets that we can sell is not a bad thing.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don’t think they’re operating under some idea that Vanek is the missing piece. There’s really no need for this team to deliberately try to get worse than they already are. More assets that we can sell is not a bad thing.
The problem here is Vanek has no real value, that's been proven year after year. There's more value in letting a young guy play in that spot that Vanek would take.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If we are getting to a place where we want top 9 vets on short term deals to move for assets down the line, than whatever. I would feel much better about the strategy if it was at the expense of an existing contract though. For example, trade one of these depth guys now so Vanek replaces their roster spot. Still leave a spot open for Svech to earn.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Ownership's problem is that by now everyone knows the Wings aren't good. A bad team full of veterans on their way out draws as badly as or worse than a bad team full of kids.

Of course, their arena project was a case of hilariously bad timing. It's rare for a team in as bad a position as the Wings to open a new arena just as they enter lean years. They probably believed the Wings would always be good, and maybe Ken Holland told them that, too. The only way to avoid this issue would have been a drastic rebuild initiated around the time they started the arena project in earnest in 2012.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dont mind signing a vet or two, especially if a couple other guys are moved but Vanek has already shown to not have much value at the deadline but is actually decent enough to win a couple extra shootouts/games. If Nyquist/AA are gone, no real issue with it but can he return a 3rd rounder at the deadline again?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd rather lose another 3-5 games and pick higher in every round, than have the extra 3rd or 4th rounder that Vanek would return.

Either do a flier on a guy who might actually get a return, or trade for a guy who will make a difference more than 1-2 years in the future. Otherwise, let the existing players stink it up for as high a lottery standing as possible.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I guess since the Wings really don't have any good forward prospects ready to take a roster spot it doesn't matter if the Wings sign some old veterans, although it still makes zero sense to me. Svech looks like a bust, Rasmussen may not work out for the entire year and past that I don't even know if we have anyone legit enough to warrant a discussion.

We might have some role player/plug prospects, but no one else to get too excited about for next season.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Sounds like nothing but 1 or 2 year deals considered. Don't really see how that's bad. Wouldn't the "same mistakes" be long-term contracts?

Larkin/Mantha/AA are RFAs, there is not rush to sign them. If Vanek signed he'd likely take PP time from someone like Frk who might not even be re-signed. Other than Rasmussen and maybe Svechnikov we don't have a lot of young forwards ready for primetime and pushing for big roles.
What is the point of it though? We are not close to contending what is the reason behind signing a guy who will likely only play up until the deadline and take away ice time from a young guy on the top 2 lines. Clearly he would take a top 6 role away from a young player considering Vanek game doesn't fit into a bottom 6 role and probably get paid like a top 6 guy. Also, value is not high on Vanek considering Vancouver had trouble dealing him last year despite having a pretty good season. Lose, lose situation.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Seriously....?

I'm not shocked, but come on. This is so unbelievably counter productive at this point. Looks like Kenny is keeping his "anything can happen if you sneak into the playoffs" mentality. Can't we just play young players for 2 years, and continue to stockpile prospects for the future? The saga will never end until Holland is gone. This is so frustrating....

Reactions: StargateSG1

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The problem here is Vanek has no real value, that's been proven year after year. There's more value in letting a young guy play in that spot that Vanek would take.
I agree he doesn’t have much value but we also don’t have a ton of young NHL ready forwards. There’s room for Rasmussen even with a Vanek/Kovalchuk signing. Svech probably fits in as well. Who else matters? Turgeon? Pope? Holmstrom?

An FA signing also could make it easier to trade Nyquist/AA and still having some forward depth.

What is the point of it though? We are not close to contending what is the reason behind signing a guy who will likely only play up until the deadline and take away ice time from a young guy on the top 2 lines. Clearly he would take a top 6 role away from a young player considering Vanek game doesn't fit into a bottom 6 role and probably get paid like a top 6 guy. Also, value is not high on Vanek considering Vancouver had trouble dealing him last year despite having a pretty good season. Lose, lose situation.
Vanek played almost exclusively bottom 6 two years ago.

The ”blocking youngsters” argument is almost a joke at this point tbh. Any important youngster won’t be blocked by the likes of Vanek, Witkowski, Frk etc.

Reactions: 21 Savage
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Yes it is because if we bring in Vanek and/or Kovalchuk and/or Green and/or other free agents, it ultimately makes us a better team for next year, hurting our draft position. We need to suck for 2 more years and draft in the top 5-7. Finishing 10th in the East and drafting 12th overall does us no good.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yes it is because if we bring in Vanek and/or Kovalchuk and/or Green and/or other free agents, it ultimately makes us a better team for next year, hurting our draft position. We need to suck for 2 more years and draft in the top 5-7. Finishing 10th in the East and drafting 12th overall does us no good.
We sucked with Vanek, we’ve sucked with Green. How do we suddenly become much better with them?

Kovalchuk? Yeah he could help. But he’s also extremely unlikely to sign here.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'd rather lose another 3-5 games and pick higher in every round, than have the extra 3rd or 4th rounder that Vanek would return.

Either do a flier on a guy who might actually get a return, or trade for a guy who will make a difference more than 1-2 years in the future. Otherwise, let the existing players stink it up for as high a lottery standing as possible.

yeah it's just a weird guy to target considering they already tried the whole short term deal thing with this exact guy 2 years ago and got a weak return even with him playing well

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
Vanek and AA seemed to have a good relationship so perhaps looking to bring Vanek in is a move to pair them together again. I also think it could be good for Rasmussen to see Vanek who is a pro at the net front spot. All in all, dont love it and I dont hate it.

Reactions: 21 Savage

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ken Holland and retread veterans. Name a more iconic duo.

ambiguouslygayduo.jpg

I think they are a more iconic duo. :laugh:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The ”blocking youngsters” argument is almost a joke at this point tbh. Any important youngster won’t be blocked by the likes of Vanek, Witkowski, Frk etc.
But it's not just whether there's a kid ready to take a spot. The higher the draft picks, the better the odds of being effective with the rebuilding efforts.

Screw Vanek. I want to chase the worst record in the league, to maximize my odds of landing an elite to generational player.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But it's not just whether there's a kid ready to take a spot. The higher the draft picks, the better the odds of being effective with the rebuilding efforts.

Screw Vanek. I want to chase the worst record in the league, to maximize my odds of landing an elite to generational player.
Lol how much better do you think Vanek makes us? Bigger improvement than Buffalo adding Dahlin? Bigger improvement than AZ, Ottawa and Montreal adding top 5 picks?
Those were the only teams with worse records than us last year. All will add big name prospects that could step in and be major differencemakers next year.

I don't really want Vanek, but it really doesn't hurt us in any way to add that caliber of FA on a short-term deal. So we'll lose some games 5-4 instead of 5-1. It's still zero points. The team doesn't need to be an absolute embarrassment for 100% of 82 games in order to finish near or at the bottom.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad