Ansar Khan: Wings interested in Vanek among others

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Vanek literally has no trade value, he needs to be sheltered and eats up pp time that should go to young guys. Just when you think maybe Holland has gotten a clue.

We barely have any open roster spots as is, and he's worried about adding to many rookies, classic Kenny.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
"They want to compete, sell tickets, draw TV viewers. They don't want to be so bad that fans lose interest."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt this be more of a concern from the owner, and not the GM? I ask, because it sounds to me that this is a direction being given by ownership.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
"They want to compete, sell tickets, draw TV viewers. They don't want to be so bad that fans lose interest."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt this be more of a concern from the owner, and not the GM? I ask, because it sounds to me that this is a direction being given by ownership.

They didn't re-sign Holland for nothing, they know he has no problem being the puppet GM. Ilitch's are definitely worried about the Wings losing them money, especially after last season.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
They didn't re-sign Holland for nothing, they know he has no problem being the puppet GM. Ilitch's are definitely worried about the Wings losing them money, especially after last season.

I wouldn't use the word puppet, every employee in the world is given a basic direction by their boss. But this definitely screams a direction being given out by ownership based on the verbiage that was used.

I have to say that being called a puppet is new one, the narrative on here was always that Holland was given carte blanche.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Oct 18, 2006
This organisation is a farce. Just when you think we couldn’t get any more stupid, we look at Vanek. I like the guy, but no, just no.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The only bad thing about Vanek on a 1 year deal would be him possibly blocking a young player from making the roster.

He may have more value at this next deadline than last since he actually played pretty well for CBJ. If we could flip him for a 2019 pick and let him tip pucks on the PP with Rasmussen doing it on the other one, he could be a good guy to add. I mean just for a year deal obviously, he's a great guy to have in the locker room.
Won't have much feeling either way on this one, especially if it's the only UFA add.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Crazy offseason moves. Move nyquist for a mid to late first 20-25 overall. Then use that and Vegas pick plus AA to get Hanifin from Carolina for those late 1’s and AA. Sign Vanek, kovalchuck, and green.

That should win us the cup lol.

Okay okay just stand pat

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Hey Holland may go after useless vets at 1-year low long-term impact contracts, but at least he is not Marc Bergevin.

The MTL board are blowing up, over 23 full pages in less than an hour of full ranting

Grab some popcorn and check it out

Edit: 23

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Barf. And I don't mean Barfolomew from Spaceballs.

Somebody needs to clue this franchise into the fact that they've already lost fan interest by stalling out the rebuild for a few years, and that artificially propping up this coma patient of a roster with yet another round of overpaid free agent contracts isn't the answer.

They should be infinitely more interested in Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko than Kovalchuk and Vanek.

Somebody please cut their phone lines on July 1st. Let the rest of the league use high priced bandaids on bullet wounds.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

The Illitch family seems smart enough to understand short vs long term goals and also realize that fans have already begun losing interest and that building a contender is going to be the way to get it back. At least I would hope so.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The Illitch family seems smart enough to understand short vs long term goals and also realize that fans have already begun losing interest and that building a contender is going to be the way to get it back. At least I would hope so.

This comment: "They want to compete, sell tickets, draw TV viewers. They don't want to be so bad that fans lose interest." tells me otherwise. This is not something that is a major concern to anyone but ownership/shareholders (if applicable).

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If we end up trading Nyquist or AA then I have no real problem with this, but otherwise we've got a crowded forward unit and kids who need some time.

That's a very good point. Everyone is just assuming our roster will be as is going into the season, we move a few players and that changes things. I'd rather sign a vet like Vanek who we can flip at the deadline then have a guy Luke Witkowski or David Booth playing.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That's a very good point. Everyone is just assuming our roster will be as is going into the season, we move a few players and that changes things. I'd rather sign a vet like Vanek who we can flip at the deadline then have a guy Luke Witkowski or David Booth playing.

Only problem with that is... Vanek has no trade deadline value.. Just ask Vancouver, Us or Montreal.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
If another 35+ year old guy signs before resigning Larkin, Mantha or AA then Holland is trying to **** this organization up. We sign Vanek and that will likely take a spot away for PP time and time on the ice for one of our younger players for sure. Develop our younger players!!!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ken Holland is never going to learn. He makes the same mistakes over and over.
Sounds like nothing but 1 or 2 year deals considered. Don't really see how that's bad. Wouldn't the "same mistakes" be long-term contracts?

If another 35+ year old guy signs before resigning Larkin, Mantha or AA then Holland is trying to **** this organization up. We sign Vanek and that will likely take a spot away for PP time and time on the ice for one of our younger players for sure. Develop our younger players!!!
Larkin/Mantha/AA are RFAs, there is not rush to sign them. If Vanek signed he'd likely take PP time from someone like Frk who might not even be re-signed. Other than Rasmussen and maybe Svechnikov we don't have a lot of young forwards ready for primetime and pushing for big roles.

Reactions: Gibby

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Vanek was a very good player in Detroit and absolutely helped the young kids. No problem brining him in on a one-year deal.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sounds like nothing but 1 or 2 year deals considered. Don't really see how that's bad. Wouldn't the "same mistakes" be long-term contracts?

Larkin/Mantha/AA are RFAs, there is not rush to sign them. If Vanek signed he'd likely take PP time from someone like Frk who might not even be re-signed. Other than Rasmussen and maybe Svechnikov we don't have a lot of young forwards ready for primetime and pushing for big roles.
The same mistakes in the sense that they're trying to be competitive when they have no business being competitive.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The same mistakes in the sense that they're trying to be competitive when they have no business being competitive.
I absolutely hate the word competitive.

It's used to try and sound like they're striving for something, but all it really means is that they don't want to lose games 6-0. Big deal; even Buffalo and Ottawa played a lot of close games. It's almost impossible to ice a roster that ISN'T competitive.

When the organization says, hey, we're going to try our hardest to keep breathing, because it means so much to us, it sets the bar so low... It's why I wanted a bigger house cleaning this spring to begin with.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I was okay with rumors of re-signing Green because our prospects on defense aren't quite ready yet.
I was okay with rumors of Kovalchuk because he will have significant value at the deadline.
But Vanek? Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but for whatever reason his value is super low. We've seen it deadline after deadline, his team wants a 2nd and maybe a prospect and they get a mid round pick and some scraps. At this point bringing in Vanek is useless. It would be one thing if we had no forward prospects, but we do! Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Turgeon, and possibly Pope will be competing for spots, spots that Vanek would take. Maybe if Nyquist or AA is traded, sure, but you can't bet on that.
If the Helm buyout rumor is to bring in Vanek that's just poor asset management. You're taking on more cap in the future when you may hope to be competitive so you can bring in another vet in your rebuilding years that is marginally better, hell maybe worse depending on how you think of the two defensively.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You know what fans will pay to watch?

A plan...

Good young players playing hard not old mediocre free agent vets doing another curtain call

Some toughness and heart not some guy with no loyalty to this franchise who just signs one year deals with whomever, rinse and repeat

Play the kids
Suck
Draft high
Get better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad