Wings hurtin'... Holland doesn't like it

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Hi. You must be new to this rebuilding thing.

Larkin is a good player but a complimentary one on a playoff team.

What you'll need are 2 centres like Datyuk and Zetterberg in their primes just to barely eke into the playoffs.

You'll then need a Norris caliber Dman to be a contender.
Yes we are new to rebuilds, no we do not need info on how to build a winning team though. We need draft picks and a few higher ones, go look at our picks more so where we picked over the last oh 25 years. we where not gifted 2 franchise centers. When Stevie takes over the team will turn around.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, tough. I know the wings have been winning a long, long time, but everybody cycles down. There isn’t much you can do about it but draft well, be patient, and catch some luck.

The wings had an excellent draft last year. If they could add Hughes, maybe they’re one of the lucky ones with a short rebuild that only lasts a few more years.

Reactions: Oddbob

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
If Holland doesn't like it, maybe he shouldn't have led us straight to the bottom with his boneheaded decisions.

We were always going to regress, but it never...NEVER had to be as bad as it is now. Not anywhere close.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I actually think Ron Francis would be a great hire for 4-5 years to restock the cupboard then move to someone good at trading.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
If Holland doesn't like it, maybe he shouldn't have led us straight to the bottom with his boneheaded decisions.

We were always going to regress, but it never...NEVER had to be as bad as it is now. Not anywhere close.
For a few years he seemed focused primarily on keeping the playoff streak alive. Cleaning house then, and suffering through a legit rebuild, instead of scraping into the playoffs would have been a better option. He just delayed the inevitable.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
For a few years he seemed focused primarily on keeping the playoff streak alive. Cleaning house then, and suffering through a legit rebuild, instead of scraping into the playoffs would have been a better option. He just delayed the inevitable.

This is the common narrative and it's a lie by omission.

Holland may have signed old vets to help us limp into the playoffs numerous times, but he also grossly mismanaged our young talent, doled out absolutely moronic contracts, let Babcock and then Blashill put lines on the ice that made less than no sense (Cleary on the PP, please kill me), and would. Not. Trade. A. Roster. Player. EVER.

Now I don't know how Holland managed to do shit like get a 2nd for Smith or get a 1/2/3 for Tatar, maybe he's finally gone full-Sith and we'll draft The Chosen One.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Red Wings got lucky in the most recent Entry Draft, now let's see how Zadina and Veleno can fulfill their pre-draft expectations.

By lucky I mean that both were expected to be much higher. This was how I had as the best pick in the 1st round based on 24 different mock drafts.

1 Dahlin
2 Svechnikov
3-6 Zadina
7 Hughes
8-12 Dobson
13-17 Smith
18-30 Veleno
31 Wilde (went #41)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hi. You must be new to this rebuilding thing.

Larkin is a good player but a complimentary one on a playoff team.

What you'll need are 2 centres like Datyuk and Zetterberg in their primes just to barely eke into the playoffs.

You'll then need a Norris caliber Dman to be a contender.

Since when is a 22 year old 63pt C a "complementary" piece? Teams have won cups with a #1C like that, especially considering he's likely to improve even more.

Who on literally any team other than Pittsburgh and MAYBE Toronto has two C like a prime Datsyuk/Zetterberg, let alone playoff bubble teams? :laugh:

We absolutely need two stud D though. Hronek/Cholo/Macisaac should cover the depth on D.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holland is a tinkerer - he walked in as GM of a team that was already loaded. Detroit needs someone to build a new loaded team relatively from nothing. If only someone who has been through a build, has GM experience and knows Detroit was waiting in the wings...
Agreed.

Holland's success as a GM has been making relatively minor adjustments to a talented core to get more miles out of it. As I said in the Wings forum, for several seasons Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Babcock have helped disguise just how devoid of real talent the Wings are.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Since when is a 22 year old 63pt C a "conolimentary" piece? Teams have won cups with a #1C like that, especially considering he's likely to improve even more.

Who on literally any team other than Pittsburgh and MAYBE Toronto has two C like a prime Datsyuk/Zetterberg, let alone playoff bubble teams? :laugh:

We absolutely need two stud D though. Hronek/Cholo/Macisaac should cover the depth on D.

It doesn't necessarily have to be two centers but I think his point still stands. The Wings have little to no high end talent. Larkin is the closest thing and that's not nearly enough.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It doesn't necessarily have to be two centers but I think his point still stands. The Wings have little to no high end talent. Larkin is the closest thing and that's not nearly enough.

Of course not. Zadina can certainly be there as can their eventual 2019 pick though.

I think this season is showing just how important QUALITY veteran leadership is.

Yes Zetterberg was still a good player, but losing a 50pt player shouldn't make you this much worse. I think the players miss his guidance and leadership more than his actual on ice play.

To me this is actually the biggest issue with the Oilers the past decade. All the talent in the world the last few years but all in sub 25year old players with little to no playoff experience. Their veterans who have been through it all? Almost no one other than some very average at best players.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think the forwards will be in a pretty good spot after this year with someone like Dach/Cozens(or Hughes if lucky)+Zadina,not a lot of concern there

the defense on the other hand needs a ton of work,but Cholowski looks to be finally a start at least....now they just need to find an entire other defense corps

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Since when is a 22 year old 63pt C a "conolimentary" piece? Teams have won cups with a #1C like that, especially considering he's likely to improve even more.

When’s the last time a team won a cup with a 60 point 1C? And don’t say Bergeron because that doesn’t apply here.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why exactly does that not apply here? Never mind that Bergeron didn't even reach 60 that year, was actually more of a 1a/b with Krejci, and Krejci also only had 62 points?

Add in teams like Nashville who dominated their way to the finals with a couple 60pt Cs,Toews only had 68 when they won in 2010 (with the worst 2nd line C in the playoffs), and only 66 when they won in 2015. Kopitar had a whopping 7 whole extra points when they won in 2014.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Everyone saw a fall coming starting in like 2011 or 2012 as their top guys were reaching the end. It sucks, but they should go full rebuild via the draft. Might take 3-4 years but it's better than half assing it for 10 and never getting it right.
This is for the pro rebuild people such as myself. Now people not for rebuilds will probably come up with a rebuttal in this thread I reckon.
But this approach is only logical to me. And I see nothing wrong with this approach.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
Zadina and Larkin absolutely do. Berggren is also seen as boom/bust
Larkin has elite speed and work ethic, but has average/above average shot, hockey iq, and hands. He isn't an elite player. Zadina hasn't shown any elite skills at either the NHL or AHL level yet.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Larkin has elite speed and work ethic, but has average/above average shot, hockey iq, and hands. He isn't an elite player. Zadina hasn't shown any elite skills at either the NHL or AHL level yet.

Probably because he was drafted just this past season and has a whopping 7 games in the AHL... by that logic Hughes isn't elite either.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Wings should do a Leaf/Penguin, go to uncle Bettman and whine, so they can get the first overall pick, to save the team....

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
:huh:

As a non-Wings fan I'm pretty indifferent tbhf.

Same.

I mean, I used to interact with some really obnoxious Wings fans circa 10 years ago and they became a team I wanted to see take that deep nosedive but they've all left and now I'm just all :dunno:

Well, that and 2002 :madfire: but they were the better team bar none. But still, darn you Brett Hull :ipeace:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad