Wings hurtin'... Holland doesn't like it

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Holland is a tinkerer - he walked in as GM of a team that was already loaded. Detroit needs someone to build a new loaded team relatively from nothing. If only someone who has been through a build, has GM experience and knows Detroit was waiting in the wings...
You mean the quitter?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You name 11 players. Not a single elite talent among them. This team is ****ed for the foreseeable future.

:huh:

Well, Larkin, AA, and Zadina are good players to build around. No one will confuse them for McDavid but come on man, it's not like they don't have young talent to look forward too.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
:huh:

Well, Larkin, AA, and Zadina are good players to build around. No one will confuse them for McDavid but come on man, it's not like they don't have young talent to look forward too.

Nah, I'm getting over AA the more I watch him. I dunno if he has a poor work ethic or is just a complete knucklehead but he has a lot of talent and can't seem to do much with it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You name 11 players. Not a single elite talent among them. This team is ****ed for the foreseeable future.

Its been mentioned but Larkin and Zadina are both pretty good pieces to have. Larkin is trending to be an 75-80 point center. The wings are just bottoming out now and those 11 players are pretty good to have without having high picks yet. Most teams bottoming out dont have a 22 year old player like Larkin or other solid young players like Bertuzzi or Mantha. Cholowski is starting to look like a future top 3 D as well.

Detroit has better young pieces than most teams entering a rebuild. Theyre at a point now where they should be getting top 3 picks and adding the 2 or maybe 3 elite pieces around a good young supporting cast with potentially elite/borderline elite guys like Larkin, Zadina and now possibly Cholowski.

When’s the last time a team won a cup with a 60 point 1C? And don’t say Bergeron because that doesn’t apply here.

Why doesnt Bergeron apply here? He was a 50 something point center in 2011 and Krejci had the same number of points that Larkin had last season. Bergeron wasnt the player he is today back then. You essentially are saying "when did a 60 point center win the cup? the times that it happened dont actually count though so I can make my point"

I'm not too worried about the wings rebuild. They need to add elite talent but even just last season they had 4 top 36 picks and this year theyll have at least 3 in the top 35-40, thats a good start to a rebuild

Reactions: Oddbob

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Since when is a 22 year old 63pt C a "conolimentary" piece? Teams have won cups with a #1C like that, especially considering he's likely to improve even more.

Who on literally any team other than Pittsburgh and MAYBE Toronto has two C like a prime Datsyuk/Zetterberg, let alone playoff bubble teams? :laugh:

We absolutely need two stud D though. Hronek/Cholo/Macisaac should cover the depth on D.

Ahhahahaa

Larkin is... better than..

Kopitar / Carter?
Crosby / Malkin / Kessel?
Toews / Kane / Hossa?

Cuz cup winners have elite forwards

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Its been mentioned but Larkin and Zadina are both pretty good pieces to have. Larkin is trending to be an 75-80 point center. The wings are just bottoming out now and those 11 players are pretty good to have without having high picks yet. Most teams bottoming out dont have a 22 year old player like Larkin or other solid young players like Bertuzzi or Mantha. Cholowski is starting to look like a future top 3 D as well.

Detroit has better young pieces than most teams entering a rebuild. Theyre at a point now where they should be getting top 3 picks and adding the 2 or maybe 3 elite pieces around a good young supporting cast with potentially elite/borderline elite guys like Larkin, Zadina and now possibly Cholowski.

Why doesnt Bergeron apply here? He was a 50 something point center in 2011 and Krejci had the same number of points that Larkin had last season. Bergeron wasnt the player he is today back then. You essentially are saying "when did a 60 point center win the cup? the times that it happened dont actually count though so I can make my point"

I'm not too worried about the wings rebuild. They need to add elite talent but even just last season they had 4 top 36 picks and this year theyll have at least 3 in the top 35-40, thats a good start to a rebuild

Bergeron didn’t have the media recognition, but he was still on the best defensive centers in the game in 10-11. Larkin is not.

If you’re heading into the playoffs with Dylan Larkin as your 1C, you’ve got it circled as an area of weakness. You can adopt the preds model and try to win in spite of that but all you need there is a handful of legit #1 D’s And a vezina caliber goalie.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ahhahahaa

Larkin is... better than..

Kopitar / Carter?
Crosby / Malkin / Kessel?
Toews / Kane / Hossa?

Cuz cup winners have elite forwards

What exactly do Kessel/Kane/Hossa have to do with anything when talking about C? And yes Larkin is every bit as good as Carter has been during cup winning seasons.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bergeron didn’t have the media recognition, but he was still on the best defensive centers in the game in 10-11. Larkin is not.

If you’re heading into the playoffs with Dylan Larkin as your 1C, you’ve got it circled as an area of weakness. You can adopt the preds model and try to win in spite of that but all you need there is a handful of legit #1 D’s And a vezina caliber goalie.

As already said, Toews had almost the ssme offensive output as Larkin with awful support at the C position to boot. Kopitar was the exact same way. Larkin is also only 22 with plenty of room to grow.

We need help, but habing him as the #1C wont be an issue

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hi. You must be new to this rebuilding thing.

Larkin is a good player but a complimentary one on a playoff team.

What you'll need are 2 centres like Datsyuk and Zetterberg in their primes just to barely eke into the playoffs.

You'll then need a Norris caliber Dman to be a contender.

I am new to rebuilding as far as our team, I fully understand the concept, and what does that have to do with anything? Larkin is much better than a complimentary player. Nyquist is a complimentary piece. Maybe watch someone before you downgrade their play!

You also don't need Norris defense to win the Cup. Pittsburgh won their last 2 Cups with fairly bad to mediocre defense, and yes I know they have Crosby, but you are saying you need HOF forwards and Norris defense, which you don't. Washington won last year, and while Carlson had a really good season, he is not a normal Norris contender and the rest of their defense was nothing overwhelmingly great. Not only that, you said with 2 HOF type forwards you barely eke into the playoffs, give me a break! Almost every playoff team every single year doesn't have two forwards like prime Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

And then to top it off, I said exactly nothing about us being a playoff team because we have Larkin! Where did you read this??? I said Larkin is much better than people think, nothing about us being ready to end the rebuild!

Reactions: Ulerich

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think the Wings are in for a few long seasons. Got to think Holland will be out as GM at season's end.

He just got resigned to a 2 year deal, so he isn't getting fired if that is what you think, otherwise they would have just not resigned him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
haha, yup, fans pay for tickets and don't even show up for the game. EVERY.SINGLE.HOME.GAME.

pretty odd if you ask me.

You don't understand how things work then! Corporate people buy many tickets at many of the big arenas, to give to clients as gifts. Many of those people either can't or don't want to go, and either don't or can't give the tickets to anyone else, thus a lot of the paid for "sold out" seats are left empty. Obviously they have worse attendance due to our sucking right now, but it still gets listed as a sellout because of stuff like this, and it works like this for all teams, that list sellouts. Even in Toronto who is never not sold out, will have empty seats that were paid for, but people couldn't make it to that game, such as season ticket holders.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As already said, Toews had almost the ssme offensive output as Larkin with awful support at the C position to boot. Kopitar was the exact same way. Larkin is also only 22 with plenty of room to grow.

We need help, but habing him as the #1C wont be an issue

All guys that have won Selkes.

I used to be in your shoes thinking Duchene could lead us into the playoffs. You’ll come around eventually.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
If us Canucks fans are blessed with a Benning firing, I really hope ownership stays far away from Holland. He's old school and I don't trust him to stick to a rebuild.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If us Canucks fans are blessed with a Benning firing, I really hope ownership stays far away from Holland. He's old school and I don't trust him to stick to a rebuild.

He’s actually been really good at rebuilding so far. Great returns for Smith, Jurco, Tatar, Mrazek, etc. so far. Can’t argue with the most recent draft of Zadina, Berggren, Veleno, etc.

Honestly he’s been pretty flawless the last year or so. Free agency when he has money to use is where he is probably the worst in the league though.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I am 100% over Holland but this is more on Blashill. Holland has collected TONS of draft picks (yes, 2-3 years or so too late) but Blashill sucks. If you watch a Wings game it's like pee-wee system. Chip the puck out of the zone #1 rule, hope you get it later on that'll work! They cough the puck up a ton, hence the other teams shooting 30+ every single night.

Without a bonafide top 3 pick not many guys are going to make an NHL impact ASAP. In 2-3 more years Zadina, Rasmussen, McIsaac will be developed we hope. Cholowski is looking to be a budding star and Larkin is Larkin, who will captain this team.

Kenny is to blame yes, but Blashill deserves plenty right now.

Hard to blame Blashill with that kind of lineup, any coach would struggle. Babcock was smart, he saw the writing on the wall and bolted when they became a borderline playoff team.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Hard to blame Blashill with that kind of lineup, any coach would struggle. Babcock was smart, he saw the writing on the wall and bolted when they became a borderline playoff team.

His contract ending and Toronto offering him to make him the highest paid coach by a mile probably played in a bit too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad