Rumor: Wings had offer on the table for Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lou should be fired if he traded Barzal for Bertuzzi + DET's 1st.

Lou is the type of dinosaur that would make a trade like that. I think there would be stuff added and dont think he would accept that but I wouldnt be surpried if that was the basis of it. Detroit also has the picks and young guys to throw in there to make it fair.

And obviously it might not have been that at all, but the only ones I'm sure werent involved were Larkin, Seider and raymond. Easily could have included someone like Edvinsson or COssa among other high end prospects as well

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why would NYI trade Barzal for a winger?
They obviously didn't.

I'm not here typing things like "It HAD to be Bertuzzi", though - but to actually try to answer WHY? - Bertuzzi is the type of player Lou likes.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
There’s no way the offer was Larkin. If Lou denied that he should be fired.

Barzal is great but a lot of overrating going on here. Larkin at this stage is a significantly better player and they are practically the same age.

Reactions: 14ari13

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lou is the type of dinosaur that would make a trade like that. I think there would be stuff added and dont think he would accept that but I wouldnt be surpried if that was the basis of it. Detroit also has the picks and young guys to throw in there to make it fair.

And obviously it might not have been that at all, but the only ones I'm sure werent involved were Larkin, Seider and raymond. Easily could have included someone like Edvinsson or COssa among other high end prospects as well

They obviously didn't.

I'm not here typing things like "It HAD to be Bertuzzi", though
NYI has one center on their roster under 29, which is Barzal.

It would be perplexing (even for a "dinosaur") to trade their only young NHL center for something other than another young center.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: mazmin

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The Wings wouldn't trade Larkin for Barzal. It would just be filling one hole and creating another.

If it happens, it'll be Bertuzzi+ for Barzal. The + being Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, Hronek, one of the D prospects other than Edvinsson, and/or picks.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

It would be perplexing (even for a "dinosaur") to trade their only young NHL center for something other than another young center.

Just my two cents.
Well Larkin clearly has more value than Barzal, I'm sure Lou says yes if Larkin is on the table. So with that likely not being the case and having a "fair" offer on the table, odds are it was close to happening for someone that wasnt a young center. A point per game, strong defensive, tough winger has Lou written all over it. Sure it might not have been him but if it wasnt, then Lou was looking at picks/prospects/wingers either way

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Just my two cents.

It might also have to do with style. Trotz has benched Barzal at times for not liking the way he plays. (Offensively, takes chances, rags the puck, etc.)

LL might be looking to completely tear it down. The islanders are one of the oldest teams in the league. And maybe Barzal isn’t the kind of forward LL wants to build around?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Well Larkin clearly has more value than Barzal, I'm sure Lou says yes if Larkin is on the table. So with that likely not being the case and having a "fair" offer on the table, odds are it was close to happening for someone that wasnt a young center. A point per game, strong defensive, tough winger has Lou written all over it. Sure it might not have been him but if it wasnt, then Lou was looking at picks/prospects/wingers either way
Right, I understand the offer piece.

It just may have been nothing the Islanders were willing to do.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Wouldn’t be Larkin. It would have been Bert +. Maybe Bert + this years 1st and someone like Ras/Veleno.

For barzal you'd have to think it would start with Bertuzzi, our 1st and a prospect or young guy like zadina, Rasmussen or Valeno

I would do it
Bert + 1st + Veleno is what crossed my mind.

Maybe Bert + Edvinsson but I don't know that opening a hole at LD to fill a hole at C makes sense. I guess you remove the risk factor of Edvinsson not panning out (but also risk Edvinsson REALLY panning out)

Larkin being part of a deal like this makes no sense. As has been discussed by everyone, forever.

And overall, I don't get why the Islanders would be getting rid of Barzal for this rumor to even exist

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
After throwing Bert + 1st out there I looked at Barzal’s stats….

Honestly I don’t think he’s worth that. That’s conflicting. We need to solve the center issue badly, but that’s an overpay. Dunno what I’d do in that situation.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why would NYI trade Barzal for a winger?

You trade guys when they are on the last year of their contract and aren't confident you will retain them.

There's no urgency for Detroit to trade Bertuzzi, either, other than the fact he's not locked up long-term. Barzal appears to be in a similar spot.

Reactions: golffuul

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bert + 1st + Veleno is what crossed my mind.

Maybe Bert + Edvinsson but I don't know that opening a hole at LD to fill a hole at C makes sense. I guess you remove the risk factor of Edvinsson not panning out (but also risk Edvinsson REALLY panning out)

Larkin being part of a deal like this makes no sense. As has been discussed by everyone, forever.

And overall, I don't get why the Islanders would be getting rid of Barzal for this rumor to even exist
Bertuzzi + Edvinsson might intrigue NYI if they confident in the development of Raty.

Are you thinking Larkin is a winger? Or was this about Bertuzzi?
Bertuzzi.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Fair according to who? Apparently not them.

Not sure what I am supposed to take from this. Would have been over the moon to add Barzal, though.
Just because a trade didn’t happen doesn’t mean they don’t think it’s fair. They might not yet want to part with barzal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Barzal is worse than larkin. Bertuzzi plus or first isn’t a great deal but also barzal isn’t worth the biggest haul in the world at the moment.
I understand all of this, just stating NYI is NOT rebuilding (yet) and LL wants to run it back next season. Regardless of what you think of Barzal, it would not have made sense for him to trade Barzal yesterday without returning a similar center.

That's all.

Reactions: Coach Reggie Dunlop

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
@seafoam What’s Barzal’s QO when his deal ends? Shows $10M on his last year so that could be a monstrous problem. (For NYI or anybody who would trade for him)

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I’m only comfortable with trading our 2023 first for barzal. I say that because if he’s on our team next year you can assume we would be a lot better and our pick wouldn’t be bottom 10. I do not want to trade a puck that could end up top 2. But I don’t see why the islanders would trade him to us unless we pony up more than we should.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Also, since when has this organization been known to trade their captain a year and half into their captaincy? Were there rumblings that Stevie is unhappy with Larkin, or vice versa?

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
It would be pretty dumb for NYI to trade Barzal, he drives all their offense. Both teams are out of the playoff race so there is no reason this had to happen now, it could still happen in the offseason. My guess is Ras to go the other way along with Bert. Ras seems like a Lou type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad