Confirmed with Link: Wings extend with Lashoff - 3 years, one-way, $725k/yr

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I still don't like the idea of giving up on Kindl to keep a guy like Colo around who's always injured. Kindl's only played about 100 NHL games. That's just over one full season. Give him more time.

we like our team*

white only has 2 pts? i figured he would have more than that

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I still don't like the idea of giving up on Kindl to keep a guy like Colo around who's always injured. Kindl's only played about 100 NHL games. That's just over one full season. Give him more time.

Consistent time seems to be key for Kindl, it seems to me like he is the type of player that thrives on confidence, shuffle him in and out of the lineup constantly for scrubs and ahl callups he's going to struggle. Unfortunately it appears that being the 7th guy and being rotated in and out is as far as Kindl will go under Babcock, hopefully he nets a somewhat decent return given the strong draft coming up.

CloneHakanPlease*

Agreed, and despite a few bad games this season, he's looked really solid past few chances hes been out there.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
I just don't get it.

Unless this is a two-way deal, fine.

But Kindl is right now, a much better defenseman than Lashoff. I think he'd be a great number five, good number four. He's 'on pace' for what, like 35 points, third on the team among defensemen and will probably overtake Ericsson if given playing time.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I just don't get it.

Unless this is a two-way deal, fine.

But Kindl is right now, a much better defenseman than Lashoff. I think he'd be a great number five, good number four. He's 'on pace' for what, like 35 points, third on the team among defensemen and will probably overtake Ericsson if given playing time.

Using your example, if Kindl is a top4 D, why would it matter if they signed Lashoff to be the 7th D? It's also a puckmover vs a penaltykiller.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Using your example, if Kindl is a top4 D, why would it matter if they signed Lashoff to be the 7th D? It's also a puckmover vs a penaltykiller.

Well, Lashoff is playing more minutes, and has been used on the 'top' pairing until recently, at least. Kindl should be getting more ESTOI/G, in my opinion anyway.

Like I said(guess you missed it), if it is a two way deal, and he is in fact signed to be a number seven, that's fine. If the signing means Kindl is on his way out without an upgrade coming back somehow, I'd be really disappointed as a fan.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
On a bit of a side note, I feel like this teams defense isn't shooting enough, or at least getting pucks on the net. Kronwall leads the team with 27 shots, good for 50th in the league. Next up is Kindl with 17 shots, good for 108th.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well, Lashoff is playing more minutes, and has been used on the 'top' pairing until recently, at least. Kindl should be getting more ESTOI/G, in my opinion anyway.

Like I said(guess you missed it), if it is a two way deal, and he is in fact signed to be a number seven, that's fine. If the signing means Kindl is on his way out without an upgrade coming back somehow, I'd be really disappointed as a fan.

The only thing a two-way deal does is to decrease his AHL salary. It's not going to keep him from being waiver exempt.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If they don't intend to keep White they better move him at the deadline imo.

Completely agree. But they clearly weren't going to make a ton of noise in the playoffs last year, and they knew they weren't going to re-sign Hudler, and yet the brass passed up the opportunity to trade Hudler (who, based on the market last year, probably meant a 2nd round pick).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
As long as Lashoff is on our top 6 and on the PK, this team goes nowhere.

Depends how the rest of the defense is made up. This team still needs another top 2 defensemen. Lashoff has been pretty good for a rookie who no one thought would play on the team this year. Nitpicking him seems counterproductive.

He's 3rd in blocked shots and 1st in terms of hits for defensemen (I know, the nhl does a terrible job at keeping those stats). He hasn't been nearly as bad as some think, especially for a 22 year old.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Oh, did they change it that way in the new CBA?

No, that's how it's always been. He has another year on his deal, can't sign an extension until the final year of his contract. I could be wrong about the January thing but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Alpha190

Feb 3, 2007
No, that's how it's always been. He has another year on his deal, can't sign an extension until the final year of his contract. I could be wrong about the January thing but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

yeah, July 1st is when Holland can re-sign him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Depends how the rest of the defense is made up. This team still needs another top 2 defensemen. Lashoff has been pretty good for a rookie who no one thought would play on the team this year. Nitpicking him seems counterproductive.

He's 3rd in blocked shots and 1st in terms of hits for defensemen (I know, the nhl does a terrible job at keeping those stats). He hasn't been nearly as bad as some think, especially for a 22 year old.

I kinda understand where the Kindl > Lashoff posts come from, and in terms of puck skills it's not close. But to pick on Lashoff to me seems strange, I agree. He's proving that he can stick around in the league, might never be anything special but someone you are fine playing. Every player doesn't need flash and immense upside.

we like our team*

i think people are mostly bothered because lashoff has been playing on the 1st and 2nd pairings, which his play hasn't really warranted :dunno:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
i think people are mostly bothered because lashoff has been playing on the 1st and 2nd pairings, which his play hasn't really warranted :dunno:

Which makes the discussion a little misdirected. Lashoff doesn't choose to play on the 1st pair, Kronwall doesn't choose to play more than he's capable, Cleary doesn't choose to play in the top six. It's up to Kenny to make sure he has players for every role, and up to Babs to manage the ice time and matchups.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
35386296.jpg

RedWingsNow*

It's not "nitpicking him"

It's calling an AHLer what he is. An AHLer.

He's been awful. He's out of position all the time.
The team can't score goals when he's on the ice because they're too busy running around their own end.
Guys skate right by him with the puck like he's not there.

He's a plug. Maybe he learns. But I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad