Wings coaching rebuild: Houda and Torchetti new assistants

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
BAH! I came to report Crawford as a candidate but looks like Khan beat me to it! :(

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Chelios has said he's not interested in a larger role as an assistant coach because of family obligations.

Of course he also once said he'd never play for the Red Wings. :naughty:

fair enough.

Oates would be a solid choice. he can help run the PP/Fix the pp and the forward. Then you just need to find a vet coach to help with the PK and defensemen.

If not Oates.. not sure what route I would go. Probably just wait until a few more weeks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
BAH! I came to report Crawford as a candidate but looks like Khan beat me to it! :(

tumblr_inline_ntutrb1Yhf1rnrvmp_500.gif

Really good news, complete assistant overhaul could be real nice.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I would also take a look at Dave Cameron, fired by Ottawa. He was well-respected coach by the players, it's the GM that was tired of him (according to the exit interviews I saw).

I don't think Oates wants to coach on an NHL team, he would rather help individual clients. Here is the situation on Oates : LINK

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Does anyone have any evidence that Oates helped while he made his guest appearance?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is probably the right call. Ferschweiler is known in coaching circles as a player development coach. I can see him spending another year in the organization before moving back to the AHL/OHL/NCAA.

I like the idea of Todd Richards behind our bench.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
God, that'd be terrible too. He's another absolutely terrible coach.

Yeah when I heard his name I thought the person that told me was yanking my chain, then I seen that and got this sick feeling deep in my stomach =\

Houda D coach sounds good to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What? Oates is and was a terrible coach.

Bad head coach doesn't mean you will be a bad assistant coach. It's very different.

He was assistant coach for Tampa Bay in 09-10 where they had a top 10 PP in the league.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bedard was good enough. Don't know why they released him. Unless there's someone better on the market or they promote the guy in the ahl that's ahead scratcher for me

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Bedard was good enough. Don't know why they released him. Unless there's someone better on the market or they promote the guy in the ahl that's ahead scratcher for me

Bedard was a bit of a surprise for me too. I guess given Howard's struggles for consistency and Mrazek falling apart two-thirds of the way through the season, they were looking for a new voice.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bedard was a bit of a surprise for me too. I guess given Howard's struggles for consistency and Mrazek falling apart two-thirds of the way through the season, they were looking for a new voice.

If it's the guy from Grand Rapids. Or the Nashville guy I'm cool with it

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
If it's the guy from Grand Rapids. Or the Nashville guy I'm cool with it
Do you mean Mitch Korn? The guy who coached Dominik Hasek, Pekka Rinne, Tomas Vokoun, and Braden Holtby, and then followed Barry Trotz to Washington?

Or Ben Vanderklok, Nashville's current goaltending coach?

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

It seems odd to let someone go because of half a bad year.

They always have praised him on every occasion when it came up.

So, that's a head scratcher to me.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Do you mean Mitch Korn? The guy who coached Dominik Hasek, Pekka Rinne, Tomas Vokoun, and Braden Holtby, and then followed Barry Trotz to Washington?

Or Ben Vanderklok, Nashville's current goaltending coach?

I think it's Korn.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Thank god we're replacing the assistant coaches. Blash deserves one more year, but I really want us to get some more experienced guys surrounding him.

Bedard is a surprise, but maybe Mrazek didn't work well with him or something.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Thank god we're replacing the assistant coaches. Blash deserves one more year, but I really want us to get some more experienced guys surrounding him.

Bedard is a surprise, but maybe Mrazek didn't work well with him or something.

Don't see why he wouldn't. Bedard calmed him down immensely. Or mrazek did that. Either way. While he was where. Mrazek was challenging for the vezina. He trailed off alittle the more games he played. (Due to being a rookie). And blash played him while he was injured for 3-4 games

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
People are reading too much into the Bedard decision. He most certainly did not get fired because of the performance of our goalies this season. My money says that they asked Pete if he wanted Bedard as a coach and he said no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad