Wings coaching rebuild: Houda and Torchetti new assistants

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
John Torchetti has signed a two-year contract with Jeff Blashill’s coaching staff, joining two other recent hires: assistant Doug Houda and goaltending coach Jeff Salajko.

Torchetti, a veteran coach who won a Stanley Cup in 2010, will now be responsible for working with the Red Wings forwards and overseeing the club’s power play that struggled during the 2015-16 season..

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=885216

I think it's a good hire. Also, interesting to note that he did coach Radulov in the KHL with CSKA Moskva (2013-14).

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think it's a good hire. Also, interesting to not that he did coach Radulov in the KHL with CSKA Moskva (2013-14).

Really? Hmm! That's either going to help or hurt the cause. :laugh:

Now Colorado isn't the only suitor with a coach connection. When looking over lineups, Radulov really helps the Wings ice an actual 3rd line.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I preferred Torches to Cameron but Richards over both. So I'm content I guess.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't really know a lot about how much of an influence NHL assistant coaches have... Does Torchetti's hire imply or suggest any changes in the way the team plays or the direction given to the forwards? Or is that basically all Blashill, and Torchetti is just there to communicate it to the forwards?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't really know a lot about how much of an influence NHL assistant coaches have... Does Torchetti's hire imply or suggest any changes in the way the team plays or the direction given to the forwards? Or is that basically all Blashill, and Torchetti is just there to communicate it to the forwards?

It's a teamwork. Babcock was always "open for news ideas". Assistants role is to suggest ideas and heah coach will decide with that information which is the way to go. Also think these special team roles are quite important. There is the same basic structure almost every team uses.

Torchetti sounds good, his good stint with Wild impressed me.

Also Houda has got some praise from my Bruins-friends. They didn't like when he was fired.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
I preferred Torches to Cameron but Richards over both. So I'm content I guess.

Sure, that seems like a good ranking of the candidates, and it's not hard to see Tampa's job as probably a more appealing one to Richards than the Detroit job.

All of these guys are trying to be a head coach of their own at some point, so there is at least some element of them trying to position themselves best for that. It's why Babcock's assistants pretty much always get head coaching jobs of their own at some point, and why up and coming coaches always wanted to work for Babcock. John Cooper has a good name around the league now, and he was in the Stanley Cup Finals and Conference Finals in back to back years now.

I don't mind the Torchetti hire because he is a very experienced guy and seems to be well respected. He's been an interim NHL head coach 3 times, but never hired as a full time NHL head coach. He's had full time head coaching experience in the AHL and KHL. He's been around as an NHL assistant too, including a couple years under Quenneville in Chicago where he won the Cup in 2010. He seems to be the definition of "journeyman" who has bounced around a lot, but it doesn't seem to be his fault that he's never stuck somewhere. He's seemed to be trying to find the right place to get noticed as a serious head coaching candidate.

I don't know, it's an assistant coach, so hopefully he can bring new ideas to the team and help the powerplay, but regardless, it's up to the players to execute.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
So this Torchetti guy coached Radulov in the KHL a few years back eh?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They have more influence than you think. Blash might draw up a scheme for them to use, but it's usually up to the assistant to make it happen. Torchetti should have a fair bit of autonomy in making the PP go. A fair bit of input on forward use too, I'd think.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Welcome aboard Torchetti. I think the Radulov thing is purely coincidental although he will be able to advise the wings without any bias now on how he would fit.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting article. Wouldn't be surprised if this is an attempt by the Wings to bring in more of a motivator type. Somebody who will mix up the locker room, get the guys talking to each other and holding each other accountable. He seems to be a bit harder-nosed in his approach than Blashill, too. I dunno how much to believe the rumors, but those were supposedly criticisms people had of Blash. Too friendly, not really connecting with the guys, and having a clique-y, less than cohesive group.

I guess we'll see.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
They have more influence than you think. Blash might draw up a scheme for them to use, but it's usually up to the assistant to make it happen. Torchetti should have a fair bit of autonomy in making the PP go. A fair bit of input on forward use too, I'd think.

It's a teamwork. Babcock was always "open for news ideas". Assistants role is to suggest ideas and heah coach will decide with that information which is the way to go. Also think these special team roles are quite important. There is the same basic structure almost every team uses.

Great, thanks... I hope that's a good sign for the PP and the offensive philosophy in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad