Wings coaching rebuild: Houda and Torchetti new assistants

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What was the number the year before hiller?

Hiller would have improved the powerplay. He had a worse roster and about the same percentage. Probably even more so with kessel

I was just going to say, something to that effect. Toronto wasn't just bad, they were very bad, and didn't have Kessel, and still achieved basically the same %, 15.4 versus 15.9. Have to believe with Kessel they would be 17-18 range, at least.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was just going to say, something to that effect. Toronto wasn't just bad, they were very bad, and didn't have Kessel, and still achieved basically the same %, 15.4 versus 15.9. Have to believe with Kessel they would be 17-18 range, at least.

Well this also discounts the fact Kessel played his worst season that year by a long-shot too outside of his first two years in the league. So give him the I hate my life and get me out of Toronto Kessel as well in this equation and he sees what maybe a 1% gain, not sure it would even be that.

A lot of that stuff is year to year. You get hot at some points how long do you stay that way. I would like to have a dominant PP, but from Renney to Hiller to other guys we have been up and down in this regard lately as we have declined a little offensively.

I don't think Ferschweiler was great at all in fact he was bad and he lost his job (was reassigned) as a result. But it is hard to imagine Hiller was going to get a top 5 result with the decline we witnessed with Kronwall, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. As Bench has pointed out a few times it is pretty ridiculous we wound up with the 13th rated PP. Also the PP has gone empty in the post-season now for a while regardless of the coach and that is really the huge problem.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well this also discounts the fact Kessel played his worst season that year by a long-shot too outside of his first two years in the league. So give him the I hate my life and get me out of Toronto Kessel as well in this equation and he sees what maybe a 1% gain, not sure it would even be that.

A lot of that stuff is year to year. You get hot at some points how long do you stay that way. I would like to have a dominant PP, but from Renney to Hiller to other guys we have been up and down in this regard lately as we have declined a little offensively.

I don't think Ferschweiler was great at all in fact he was bad and he lost his job (was reassigned) as a result. But it is hard to imagine Hiller was going to get a top 5 result with the decline we witnessed with Kronwall, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. As Bench has pointed out a few times it is pretty ridiculous we wound up with the 13th rated PP. Also the PP has gone empty in the post-season now for a while regardless of the coach and that is really the huge problem.

No, I am not saying Hiller would have changed much for us, was just pointing out, to the other poster, who was saying Hiller, had a worse PP with Toronto, then the Leafs had the year before. The Leafs offence this year, was by committee, and they really didn't have many major scoring threats in their lineup, and still achieved the same % roughly.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Also the PP has gone empty in the post-season now for a while regardless of the coach and that is really the huge problem.

That's been a real killer. Even if it's an area of strength in the regular season, failure to convert at that rate against Tampa two straight years has been a disappointment.

Maybe the new coaches need to aim to hit the Bowman index. Add your PP and PK rank together and come up with a number below 10 if you want a realistic shot at success.

Using the Bowman Index, I declare the St. Louis Blues the most likely to win. Their total is 9. Sharks 24. Penguins 21. Tampa 35. Wings scored 27. The best index? The Ducks with 2. Two! That's as good as it gets!

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think we should keep some perspective when talking about our PP woes and using Tampa series as a prime evidence.

For instance, Wings had like 3-4 breakaways in their last game this season and couldnt sneak one past Bishop. Is it Wings inability to score or Tampa shutting the door? I think it's reasonable to say it's little bit of both. In my opinion, we should maintain same perspective when talking about our inability to score during PP against Tampa. Sure Wings PP sucked but really Tampa had a good PK as well and Bishop played well enough.

I think Wings PP was slightly better than their showing against Lightnings.

To have a successful PP I think Wings need 1 of 2 types of player. 1) some one with lethal scoring ability and at the same time can find time and space for himself 2) someone who is very mobile and forces PK to adjust, and can manufacture a hole in PK coverage.

As far as plans go, I have few ideas as an armchair coach. I've been saying for years that current NHL teams dont really utilize the behind the net area that much during PP and Wings should look into it because it's the only area where their size doesn't really factor much. But really whatever changes Wings make, I think wings definitely need to be a lot more mobile. That would not be a bad place to start. PP without slow puck movement = too easy to block lanes. I thought Wings PP was too slow in execution and too telegraphic that it was often the other teams PK that forced the issue.

Also their entry need to be better. whether by plans or by acquiring better forechecker.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well Todd Richards is off the boards, He just signed with Tampa to be Coopers assistant coach.

Yzerman!

K0w6A1.gif

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Torchetti led (I use the term loosely) the Wild to the playoffs and also coached my hometown Moncton Wildcats in the QMJHL, which is a plus.

Cameron is very well spoken and would bring an added dimension to the Wings (I feel he's a motivator), and he played for my hometown town Moncton Golden Flames back in the 1980s :laugh:

Either way would be a win-win in my books.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'd rather Cameron

Torch is only good if when Minnesota was coming back against Dallas it was all Minnesota. Not Dallas sucking

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
I'll say it again. Cameron played Boroweicki over Mike Hoffman. I fully anticipate Glendening playing 20 mins per if he is the assistant coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad