Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Jeff Petry for Gustav Lindstrom and a 2025 4th round pick

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, this has always been crap talk. Because of the salary cap, Red Wings will always be making more money than the costs are. Thanks to cap, it's a flawless money making Michigan machine.

Good years or bad years, always making more money than losing. It's not anyhow big money compared to other US Major sports, but always on the positive profit side.
Spending on the Wings and Tigers is down massively from where it was under Mike, especially in relation to the ranking in the league. He is going to have to show me more if one of them gets a little better.

I think that is a real concern. For Mike these were novelty items he expected to lose money on occasionally but liked to invest in. To date for Chris they are business entities.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
People acting like the wings just traded for Kyle Quincey again….

Petry isn’t a slouch. He is definitely a massive upgrade over what was on one of the most pathetic blue lines in the league last year.

You can never have enough defensive depth especially when you are rich with cap space.

From some of these comments you would think we just traded for Petry signed for 6 more years at a 8M AAV.

He will be around for the next 2 seasons and will help add much needed leadership to the locker room.

I think it was already mentioned how he can fill in on both the PP and PK with ease too.

And once again this is about creating a winning culture. If you’re a kid, you need to earn a spot on the roster. No freebies. Work hard and don’t take the opportunity for granted.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Spending on the Wings and Tigers is down massively from where it was under Mike, especially in relation to the ranking in the league. He is going to have to show me more if one of them gets a little better.

I think that is a real concern. For Mike these were novelty items he expected to lose money on occasionally but liked to invest in. To date for Chris they are business entities.
Who cares about the Tigers. Stop grouping the 2 teams together. The business models for the 2 teams are completely different because of the hard cap for hockey.

Wings will be pretty close to the cap after re-signing Ray and Mo. I don't see how you can expect him to spend more than the cap. Stevie just burned money on Kailer's buyout to get Kostin, that was not a move a cheap owner would allow. Team also just spent $2.3M x 2 for a 7th D.

The Wings also revamped their front office staff and have more staff than before Stevie took the job. I really don't see how any Wing fan can complain about Chris. Tigers fans.... sure, but that's a complete separate conversation.

I would've been happy if Quincey was acquired for a floundering prospect and a 4th. Quincey was better than Lindstrom is now.

Reactions: 13to40

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Speding on the Wings is tough, because you can't spend over the cap. It's always kind of against the limit.

You go against the limit, and you have 15M in profit.

Or, you have TANK years when you don't go against the limit, you save salaries by 16M and are on the cap floor and profit will go down too, but it's still the same damn 10-15M profit no matter what you do.

Red Wings current real salary expenditure is 82.9M, so Yzerman is just 600k shy of the 83.5M cap limit. We have 6M in cap space, and if Yzerman will use that full, real salaries will be almost 89 million.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013

Petry isn’t a slouch. He is definitely a massive upgrade over what was on one of the most pathetic blue lines in the league last year.

You can never have enough defensive depth especially when you are rich with cap space.

From some of these comments you would think we just traded for Petry signed for 6 more years at a 8M AAV.

He will be around for the next 2 seasons and will help add much needed leadership to the locker room.

I think it was already mentioned how he can fill in on both the PP and PK with ease too.

And once again this is about creating a winning culture. If you’re a kid, you need to earn a spot on the roster. No freebies. Work hard and don’t take the opportunity for granted.
This is exactly the kind of stuff that was said when they signed Copp/Chiarot. Winning culture, pk, leadership, etc. Copp finished with 9 goals, Chiarot was so bad he even affected Seider negatively and they had to be broken up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Who cares about the Tigers. Stop grouping the 2 teams together. The business models for the 2 teams are completely different because of the hard cap for hockey.

Wings will be pretty close to the cap after re-signing Ray and Mo. I don't see how you can expect him to spend more than the cap. Stevie just burned money on Kailer's buyout to get Kostin, that was not a move a cheap owner would allow. Team also just spent $2.3M x 2 for a 7th D.

The Wings also revamped their front office staff and have more staff than before Stevie took the job. I really don't see how any Wing fan can complain about Chris. Tigers fans.... sure, but that's a complete separate conversation.

I would've been happy if Quincey was acquired for a floundering prospect and a 4th. Quincey was better than Lindstrom is now.
If you think Mike Ilitch isn't building a Leafs style scouting staff and front office I don't know what to tell you but in hockey he is the originator of that. The spend everywhere possible model is how he ran his organizations. That isn't for everyone, really it is a rare owner and a part of the reason people like him. He reinvested profits throughout the organization and often gambled on return. Yzerman had to get a lot of promises to even come back and from what I have heard those were promised by Mrs. I. because of lack of trust with Chris.

The Chris Ilitch conversation is well known in Detroit sporting circles. Sorry for those that dismiss it, I have heard it enough from people I trust to worry. He hasn't had good teams so it is hard to tell, but I remain far from sold on his abilities as an owner.

Spending some money in free agency and some trades doesn't change me on that. He has to be a part of pulling his two franchises out of where they currently are. I expected the dip as his father chased what he did at the end, but he is struggling to figure this out in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This is exactly the kind of stuff that was said when they signed Copp/Chiarot. Winning culture, pk, leadership, etc. Copp finished with 9 goals, Chiarot was so bad he even affected Seider negatively and they had to be broken up.
As has been repeated ad nauseum, Copp was coming off of abdominal surgery and was not really expected to light it up for goals. Chiarot is still a question mark but Copp was valuable for faceoffs, was the #1 center on the PK, and was an overall win for the the team.

This move seems in line with Yzerman's plan of trying to make gains wherever possible, even marginal ones. There's little cost and risk to this move and potential to improve the blueline.

Reactions: FMichael and jaster

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As has been repeated ad nauseum, Copp was coming off of abdominal surgery and was not really expected to light it up for goals. Chiarot is still a question mark but Copp was valuable for faceoffs, was the #1 center on the PK, and was an overall win for the the team.

This move seems more in line with Yzerman's plan of trying to make gains wherever possible, even marginal ones. There's little cost and risk to this move and potential to improve the blueline.
I don't love plus/minus but for him to be a plus player last year does knock his whipping boy status to a certain degree. I think the underrated part on both Copp and Compher is they can kick out wide as below the dots wingers. They have shown that ability in the NHL, so as Kasper and Danielson come up on to the roster they have utility out wide.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013

This move seems in line with Yzerman's plan of trying to make gains wherever possible, even marginal ones. There's little cost and risk to this move and potential to improve the blueline.
Copp wasn't exactly an offensive juggernaut in his career prior to his injury

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Seider and Chiarot not having chemistry doesn’t have anything to do with the extra leadership these players bring as being pros who have been in the league for many years and know the relentless grind of a playoff run.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think we are going to be a lot more difficult to play against this year. We are built pretty good defensively.

Husso I think is gonna have a solid year, better defensively all around. Compher, Kostin, Petry, Fischer and people will be surprised by Holl also. That gonna give Husso a bump in the stats, still think we need a better Plan B but nothing contract wise stops us from addressing that in the future.

Watching the Petry media availability was nice, guys legitimately want to come back and play here. Time for another Michigan guy or 2 to come home.

Reactions: RRhoads

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you think Mike Ilitch isn't building a Leafs style scouting staff and front office I don't know what to tell you but in hockey he is the originator of that. The spend everywhere possible model is how he ran his organizations. That isn't for everyone, really it is a rare owner and a part of the reason people like him. He reinvested profits throughout the organization and often gambled on return. Yzerman had to get a lot of promises to even come back and from what I have heard those were promised by Mrs. I. because of lack of trust with Chris.

The Chris Ilitch conversation is well known in Detroit sporting circles. Sorry for those that dismiss it, I have heard it enough from people I trust to worry. He hasn't had good teams so it is hard to tell, but I remain far from sold on his abilities as an owner.

Spending some money in free agency and some trades doesn't change me on that. He has to be a part of pulling his two franchises out of where they currently are. I expected the dip as his father chased what he did at the end, but he is struggling to figure this out in my opinion.
Once again you're lumping the 2 teams together. The path to maximizing profits is different between MLB and NHL. Chris is a business person. He will maximize his profits, and for the Wings to do that, they need to make the playoffs.

Look at the front office, Chris actually has more people working for him, at least based on what has been published on the web page. Stevie added 2 scouts in EU, Lidstrom is an additional VP, added a data analyst, added a player development consultant (Blais is one of the best in the business), they have an additional assistant coach (3 is better than 2, lol), assistant video coordinator, 1 or 2 additional NA scouts (don't remember exactly how many they had under Mike), and a "Director of Sports Science and Human Performance". Those aren't move you make if you're running a budget team like the Coyotes.

You're basing your arguments on the Tigers and some Chris rumors. Guess what? The Wings aren't the Tigers, unless you're MBH and think ball hockey is the same as real hockey. I mean if you can't tell the difference between hockey and baseball, you might as well go play ball hockey.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm amused that the first piece of evidence against Yzerman's way being the wrong way is relying on their judgment on what is the right way.
I'm not presenting evidence that Yzerman isn't doing it the wrong way, I'm asking for evidence that his way isn't the right way. Thinking that Edvinsson is more ready for the NHL than Yzerman isn't really evidence of anything. That's just, like, your opinion, man.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Once again you're lumping the 2 teams together. The path to maximizing profits is different between MLB and NHL. Chris is a business person. He will maximize his profits, and for the Wings to do that, they need to make the playoffs.

Look at the front office, Chris actually has more people working for him, at least based on what has been published on the web page. Stevie added 2 scouts in EU, Lidstrom is an additional VP, added a data analyst, added a player development consultant (Blais is one of the best in the business), they have an additional assistant coach (3 is better than 2, lol), assistant video coordinator, 1 or 2 additional NA scouts (don't remember exactly how many they had under Mike), and a "Director of Sports Science and Human Performance". Those aren't move you make if you're running a budget team like the Coyotes.

You're basing your arguments on the Tigers and some Chris rumors. Guess what? The Wings aren't the Tigers, unless you're MBH and think ball hockey is the same as real hockey. I mean if you can't tell the difference between hockey and baseball, you might as well go play ball hockey.
Actually most of this is based on people I know around two of the family organizations, just to be clear, I don't know anybody involved with the Tigers.

Glad you believe, I haven't heard anything to bring me over. Trading for Petry, DeBrincat and splashing a little cash hasn't changed most of what worries me. I trust Stevie has a lot of control on the Wings, but I do worry about what happens when Mrs I passes. Most of what you listed was promised by her when accepting the job. A few of those became options when Holland's earmarked salary headed off to Edmonton as well.

We will see long-term. I am excited to see what happens when one of them takes a step forward and check in with some of the people I know about what is going on and if some things have changed.

I think we have gotten better the last couple years, hopefully we take a step forward and see some more investment. Keep in mind Chris has come up short on a lot of the things he promised would happen around the Stadium district as well which influences some of my frustration with those willing to champion and scold others on still being on the fence.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Petry and Ghost give us a couple of guys that contribute on offense. We have a little more balance, if Walman takes a step in this regard we could have 4 30 point guys or pace that way when in the lineup. That is important while also getting better defensively. It is an area we have struggled in a lot.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Chiarot is still a question mark
I agree with you about Copp. But Chiarot is still a question mark only in the sense of waiting to see just how awful he'll be in Year 2. The guy is the spiritual lovechild of a Tasmanian Devil and a turnstyle.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Additionally, this team has started strong the past two seasons and fallen off a cliff towards the end. Can anyone really blame Yzerman for wanting a deeper squad to avoid that happening for a 3rd straight year?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, Mike Ilitch did overspend, when there was no limits. But now, when there's a limit, we are reaching the cap with Chris Ilitch and going probably over in real salaries just like we did on last days of Mike Ilitch.

There's no difference on hockey side. I don't know about the Tigers. But you can't spend much more for Red Wings. Current situation kills all narratives from the hockey side. It's flawless business, because Red Wings economics are in great shape.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It took me a while to realize it, but this trade is all about nepotism, lol. After all, Ilitch owns both teams.

It's more of:
- adding defensive depth and options for pairings
- adding a 3rd right handness on the mix
- adding a PP defenceman
- adding a PK defenceman
- adding veteran to mentor kids
- adding local guy to talk for media, so other players are "disturbed" less
- adding fan sales

It's also a nice local storyline, but also all hockey purposes are right and the contract values were cut down, so this is pretty damn all right, no matter what kind point of view you look at it.

Jeff Petry is still a good hockeyplayer.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Holl is fine as a bottom pair D. Asking him to play as your #3 is a big mistake though. And that won't happen in Detroit.

I think we're looking at a trade of either Maatta or Chiarot during the season. With Petry having money retained that makes us retaining on Chiarot easier.
Maatta is easier to trade but is also easier to sit in the press box between the two.

I would hate if we trade Maatta. He is a great fit for this team. Getting Holl and losing Maatta is a loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad