Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Jeff Petry for Gustav Lindstrom and a 2025 4th round pick

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Exactly. It's a stat that shows how much someone is involved in the play.

It's a bit like when people try to extrapolate shooting percentages.

Ovechkin scored on 14.3% of his shots last year. Tatar scored on 13.1%.
Over 300 shots, that's only a difference of 3 to 4 goals. So Tatar is basically almost Ovechkin if he was given more opportunity, right? In fact, both Ovechkin and Tatar have identical career shooting percentages at 12.9%. What a coincidence.

But Tatar can't get to 300 shots that have a 13% chance of scoring. He can only hit 150 of those in a season. So when you see someone being critical of a player because "Oh they just shoot so much so of course they score more. If so and so had that many..."

And that's when I want to launch them into the sun via the jaster express.

it always amuses me when every once in a while someone in all sincerity claims that someone is a "better shooter" than Ovechkin because they had like a 18% shooting percentage on half as many shots or something

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Right, that's what I meant by THE STAT REQUIRES CONTEXT :laugh:

In reality though, when a defenseman has a low panic threshold, he'll have more giveaways in his own zone 'per touch,' or 'per # of seconds of possession,' or whatever quantifier you want to use. But that's not how the stat is tracked, so it's largely useless.
Giveaways and Takeaways are also often in this league a building stat. Home scorer stats are a thing in the NHL, I had a buddy that would draft fantasy that way when we were in college. One of the more famous examples being Toews and Hossa having comical takeaway stats in terms of home/road splits.

Some buildings do a wonderful job, but it is always worth noting on some of these, hits is another one that has been famously building driven.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

They are saying Edvinsson is a bust already? Because of Petry???! Wth is going on?

I don't know what Edvinsson is, but he might be injured.

Walman also could be injured at season start.

So Yzerman went and secured 6 healthy defencemen to start to season. Time to give some critics about that! :D

So far, these are expected to be healthy, until proven othervise.

Määttä - Seider
Ghost - Petry
Chiarot - Holl

Edvinsson IR
Walman IR

With last season defencemen, the Starting Top6 would have been:

Määttä - Seider
Chiarot - Oesterle
Hägg - Lindström

How dare you improve that defence.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I don't know what Edvinsson is, but he might be injured.

Walman also could be injured at season start.

So Yzerman went and secured 6 healthy defencemen to start to season. Time to give some critics about that! :D

So far, these are expected to be healthy, until proven othervise.

Määttä - Seider
Ghost - Petry
Chiarot - Holl

Edvinsson IR
Walman IR

With last season defencemen, the Starting Top6 would have been:

Määttä - Seider
Chiarot - Oesterle
Hägg - Lindström

How dare you improve that defence.
I’d really like to see Chiarot and a Petry together.

Reactions: FMichael

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Walman didn't go to the WC because he was not 100%. It was the same injury he played in the last few games with. It was listed as upper body injury. I think he will be ready to go at training camp.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
I've been on here for over 15 years.. I've seen my fair share of pissing and moaning in here. It just seems like more and more I have to skim through the BS to read anything of good substance. People have bad opinions sometimes. What's the big deal with that? I still can't understand why people keep coming back when all they do is get angry with any move that is mad. It can't possibly be enjoyable. I like the Petry trade. I've said on here multiple times that if Lindstrom is lurking around your top six, you are in serious trouble.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Zero context to this being he has already played in the NHL and is out to start the season because of preventative shoulder surgery…

Well they guy admits he's not even a fan, so perhaps he's unaware of that important context.

But there will always be a contingent of fans that are unhappy with the pace that prospects are folded into the NHL roster. And moves like the Petry trade only emboldens that position.

Edvinsson will need time to get back to game speed. I'd image they'll monitor him in GR and then we'll see how the Wings are looking with their blueline. As the trade deadline approaches, they'll have a conversation about if Edvinsson comes up as a full timer and who they can move to make room. I feel like this was always the blueprint for this year, but swapping Lindstrom for Petry has some people spooked.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

They are saying Edvinsson is a bust already? Because of Petry???! Wth is going on?

How is that what you took from that? And who the heck is this guy anyways?

Edvinsson is 20 years old and rehabbing from an injury. He will very likely be a regular by the time he is turning 21 in February. We have enough depth on the blue line to where we should be able to move someone at the deadline and get an asset back and also open a spot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well they guy admits he's not even a fan, so perhaps he's unaware of that important context.

But there will always be a contingent of fans that are unhappy with the pace that prospects are folded into the NHL roster. And moves like the Petry trade only emboldens that position.

Edvinsson will need time to get back to game speed. I'd image they'll monitor him in GR and then we'll see how the Wings are looking with their blueline. As the trade deadline approaches, they'll have a conversation about if Edvinsson comes up as a full timer and who they can move to make room. I feel like this was always the blueprint for this year, but swapping Lindstrom for Petry has some people spooked.
I think Edvinsson will likely be up December or January give him a solid month to month and a half in GR. Injuries or trade will sort it, but I kind of doubt it takes all the way to the deadline.

Reactions: Crunchy

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Edvinsson is 20 years old and rehabbing from an injury. He will very likely be a regular by the time he is turning 21 in February. We have enough depth on the blue line to where we should be able to move someone at the deadline and get an asset back and also open a spot.
I'm fine with giving guys like Edvinsson and Kasper plenty of time to truly be ready for when they stick in the NHL. I'm just not a fan of some of the particular plugs they chose to keep the seat warm in the meantime. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have VERY low expectations for Petry this season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I also love how he is stating as fact all these guys making the opening night roster when camp hasn't even started yet.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It may be an upgrade, but Petry has been pretty awful over the past two years. A d core consisting of Chiarot, Holl, and Petry is still pretty bad.
All of them going to have less responsibility than last season, play less minutes, it will improve their game.

Reactions: FMichael

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Its from a twitter thread, where that guy is implying Edvinsson is a bust. The guy is a sens writer and getting involved with all the online trolling from sens fans who think their team is way ahead of the wings. Gonna be a good rivalry for years to come, but man lots of them got butt hurt once Dorian got ripped off for Debrincat

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
In terms of annoying fans per actual team achievements, they've rocketed to first place.

If they don't break out this year, I'm gonna start contributing to insert pie to face that their fans are doing talking like there team is on the cusp of contending for titles.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Exactly. It's a stat that shows how much someone is involved in the play.

It's a bit like when people try to extrapolate shooting percentages.

Ovechkin scored on 14.3% of his shots last year. Tatar scored on 13.1%.
Over 300 shots, that's only a difference of 3 to 4 goals. So Tatar is basically almost Ovechkin if he was given more opportunity, right? In fact, both Ovechkin and Tatar have identical career shooting percentages at 12.9%. What a coincidence.

But Tatar can't get to 300 shots that have a 13% chance of scoring. He can only hit 150 of those in a season. So when you see someone being critical of a player because "Oh they just shoot so much so of course they score more. If so and so had that many..."

And that's when I want to launch them into the sun via the jaster express.

Also, ovechkin shoots a lot from average 6% shooting percentage position. And can be double accurate than average NHLr from same position. Same with Patrik Laine.

And then there¨s those net-front guys, who shoot with 20-22%, from 18% average sh% net-front area. Like Alex Tanguay did his whole career.

Tanguay wasn't a sniper. He just went on the net to score those tap-ins a,nd won those battles.

The scoring location area will affect more on shooting% than actual shooting skill.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Sens fan account. Take whatever they say about Detroit with a heaping helping of salt.

Ed is injured to start the year. And if he’s not good enough to bump our bottom 4, then he’s probably not as good as we originally thought. (Yet)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad