TSN: Wings acquire Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
25 year old, 1 full season playing in the NHL. Looks pretty decent. Any concerns about his size being just 6 feet or is that not a factor?

Not a factor. Tall goalies are the new hotness.. but short guys still have their place. He's just as tall as Bernier is and we'dve been fine keeping Bernie.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
LOVEEEEE IT.

Why would Carolina do this though?

Sounds like they either couldn't afford what he was about to make in arbitration due to the massive raises Svech and Bean and Dougie Hamilton and a few more players were aboutt o make. They don't have a ton of cap space.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
The 3rd rounder plus the super happy contract....what CAN'T Yzerman do???

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I like the trade. From what I remember he looked good against the Wings and played respectable against Tampa in the postseason.

His save percentage is also insane, too. How much of that do we think is because of Carolina's stellar top 4?

Where are the goalie experts to break this down?!

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Weird how little players have to do to get 3 million per in the sports world nowadays. I can deal with 3, just find it odd how much money you get for relatively small scale, much like Driedger just got from Seattle. Hopefully Ned can become our guy in goal for the future.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Surprised they didn’t sign him. Bernier will get at least $4 mil so if they sign Bernier it will be more expensive

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I do wonder what Steve's intentions are for us this season. Adding Leddy and Ned, to me makes us a good bit better. Does he still want us bottom 5?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Let's go goalie guy. Dance for us, entertain us.

Tell the people how they (I) should feel.

From a value standpoint alone this is brilliant. Taking a UFA and a 3rd and turning it into a potential 25-year-old starter is fantastic.

Nedeljkovic is an athletic goalie with extremely fast feet. He has to be, given he's smaller than the average NHL goalie now. If you're looking for a quick style comparison, I think Tim Thomas fits the bill. A guy who doesn't have that size to just play back in the crease, so he's more aggressive to the shooter.

If Nedeljkovic reaches his potential this is going to be a franchise changing trade. And even if he's only OK, they only traded OK value for him. Overall I'm absolutely thrilled Yzerman addressed our goaltending with a young guy who can grow with this roster and help anchor the rebuild.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Congrats on likely getting your starting goalie for the next 10 seasons for a 3rd round draft pick. This kid was incredible last season, I think he continues to be a solid goalie. He’s also ridiculously fun to watch, he loves to play the puck, one of the funnest goalies I’ve watched since the Broduer/Hazel/Roy era. Enjoy him, while I remain angry at how dumb of a move this was by my Canes.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Weird how little players have to do to get 3 million per in the sports world nowadays. I can deal with 3, just find it odd how much money you get for relatively small scale, much like Driedger just got from Seattle. Hopefully Ned can become our guy in goal for the future.

Yea it is a pretty small sample size.

Overall the contract and traded assets are all low risk/low value so I like the swing by Yzerman.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
From a value standpoint alone this is brilliant. Taking a UFA and a 3rd and turning it into a potential 25-year-old starter is fantastic.

Nedeljkovic is an athletic goalie with extremely fast feet. He has to be, given he's smaller than the average NHL goalie now. If you're looking for a quick style comparison, I think Tim Thomas fits the bill. A guy who doesn't have that size to just play back in the crease, so he's more aggressive to the shooter.

If Nedeljkovic reaches his potential this is going to be a franchise changing trade. And even if he's only OK, they only traded OK value for him. Overall I'm absolutely thrilled Yzerman addressed our goaltending with a young guy who can grow with this roster and help anchor the rebuild.

Alright, let's find out how to pin this post and close the thread. This is all people need to see

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is the exact trade I'm talking about being possible when I say taking a goalie at 6 is dumb. You have a guy that has proven he can be a calder nominee and dominate in the NHL (small number of games but still) and he can be had for a third round pick at only 25 years old. Now go find a top 6 center or top 4 D that can be had for a third round pick at 25 years old.

You cant

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yea it is a pretty small sample size.

Overall the contract and traded assets are all low risk/low value so I like the swing by Yzerman.

Yeah, we got him for nothing via trade so no issue there, and I definitely like the pickup from the point of him being in our net now, just weird how they get paid so much for so little. Rasmussen signed for 3 years at half the cap hit and has done much more.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Alec Niederbacher

Bart Lebda

France/Franz Nealson

the tradition must continue...Alan Needsahammer must carry the torch.

Ok, forget it. Let's say I want a hammer. Do you know what a hammer is? That's what I want is a damned hammer. Now where the hell would I go?

JMath

Aug 1, 2019
2 years at $3m is great and seems very low risk. If he turns out to be the stud he looked like, we can resign him. If he turns out to be the waiver guy Carolina treated him like earlier in the year, we find someone to replace Greiss after next season, give Ned his second year to figure it out, and if he doesn't we let him go and are only out the late 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad