LeBrun: Winger Jeff Skinner is the most likely to move and it could happen as soon as the next 7-10 days

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Common misconception among outside onlookers apparently. Avs Defense is quite strong. Young, but strong. Left side is set for the next decade most likely with Zadorov and Girard in the Top 4, Nemeth on the 3rd pairing and extremely underrated Nick Meloche marinating in the AHL.

And that's the weaker side. Our Right side is possibly one of the deepest in the entire NHL, with Barrie and Johnson forming a very strong Top 4 on the Right side, and then both Makar and Timmins as Right Shot Defenders in the system as well.

All our defense needs is time for the young Dmen to continue taking steps forward in development. Next year stands to be a good chance for the rest of the hockey world to see what it is that has Avs fans so excited about our future. Zadorov took huge steps in his game down the stretch and into the playoffs last season and if he along with Girard picks up where theyhe left off in October(Like I fully expect them to) it wont be long before people will be raving about just how ridiculous a Defense the Avs have put together.

Offense is a different story. All the talk is around the first line and rightfully so, it was possibly the most dominant line in the NHL last season. But outside of that trio the Avs have some significant secondary scoring issues. Our 4th most productive forward was Alex Kerfoot and his 40 points, where a lot of them came very early in the year(He struggled from December onward), often times at meaningless points in a game(He scored 2 goals against the Islanders back in November in the final 40 seconds of the game when the Avs were down 6-2 for example).

Avs are in desperate need of some secondary scoring to take some of the burden off the top line to be good literally every night. The hope is Tyson Jost will step up next year and provide some of that secondary scoring, but he's going to need help. Especially if the plan is for him to be the 2C next season(Which many suspect is the case). Throwing him to the wolves as the 2C with Kerfoot and Andrighetto as his wingers for example is not a good strategy not only for the Avs success next year but also for Jost's ability to develop into a legit 2C. He needs to be surrounded by wingers that are established Top 6 forwards that he can learn and gain chemistry with over time.

Enter Jeff Skinner. A proven 30 goal scorer who's a very good skater and driver of offense. He'd fit well in Bednar's system where good skating is a basic requirement. And given that Jost appears to be a bit more of a playmaker then a pure shooter, Skinner on his wing could work extremely well and give the Avs a much needed boost from the 2nd line. Which would not only take pressure off the top line, but also off of Carl Soderberg and Matt Nieto who were asked to play way more challenging minutes then they should have had to play last year because of our lack of a 2nd line. I also think Skinner would fit like a glove on the Top PP unit as a trigger man on the right side of the PP while Mack is the trigger man on the Left side, with Barrie in the middle setting them both up, and Landeskog/Rantanen down low for the rebounds and garbage cleanup.

I dont necessarily want to give up pick #16 as I think it stands to be a really good player in the NHL if used properly. But if it means getting Skinner, and the + attached to it isn't a huge piece(Someone like former 2nd round pick AJ Greer, Vladislav Kamenev, or Cameron Morrison are the prospects I have in mind as the + that would be fair value), then I'd be ok with moving it.

16OA and Kamenev for Skinner? Where do I sign?

How did Kamenev look in the very few games he played?

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011

How did Kamenev look in the very few ga da he played?

Can't answer that really...he had his arm broken in the first game he played. Was out for months and by the time he returned the Avs were in the midst of a push for the playoffs and he was naturally several steps behind everyone else in terms of game shape so he was sent down to San Antonio to finish the last bit of the year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

How did Kamenev look in the very few games he played?

Kamenev only played 3 games for the AVs. He suffered a serious arm injury in his 1st game and was eased back the next 2 with limited minutes. So realistically, you need to consider his AHL experience which has been exceptional. He averaged nearly 1 point per game the 3 seasons in the AHL. Buried under the Preds strong forwards for years 1-2, the AVs obtained him in the Duchene deal and wanted him in the NHL.

Canes can choose between the prospects. I believe either player would be a great addition to the Canes, depending on the preference. Kamenev is only 21 years old, 6'2" @ 200 lbs forward that can play Centre or Wing. Strong defensively and good offensively. Greer is a young winger, gritty, good skater with some offensive skills, but still raw.

AVs need secondary scoring and Skinner strong offensive skills would be an excellent addition. Kamenev or Greer are good players in their own right, but they're 2-way players which the AVs have in abundance.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If it's Colorado and 16OA and a "good prospect", then it's not going to be AJ Greer or Nicolas Meloche. You're probably looking at Conor Timmins or Cam Morrison type of player.....otherwise the Canes don't have the motivation to move him until TDL where he'll get at least that much.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If it's Colorado and 16OA and a "good prospect", then it's not going to be AJ Greer or Nicolas Meloche. You're probably looking at Conor Timmins or Cam Morrison type of player.....otherwise the Canes don't have the motivation to move him until TDL where he'll get at least that much.
A mid first and a "good prospect" is a very good return for a rental winger. There have been several comparable players in the last few seasons that have gone for less then that at the deadline.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Except you also run the risk of of an injury happening and not being able to move him at all. (And I don't mean concussion, just any injury)

Also, as stated, trading him now allows you to know where the pick will be....like #16 to Avs or #14 to Philly. Wait until the deadline and then it's likely only playoff teams interested. So now that pick could be 16-31. And it's for 2019 so that could be another year before the return can help the Canes vs someone drafted this draft.

Or what if you are a playoff tweener...then do you trade him and upset the room or keep him and maybe lose him for nothing.

Just pointing out some reasons Mgt could look to do it now vs the deadline.

Reactions: Shwabeal

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
i think the islanders should pick him up they got an extra 1st rounder plus some one like josh ho sang for skinner

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Don't necessarily agree with that. The prospect might be the same, but the pick likely becomes a late 1st. Teams at the deadline looking at rental Skinner would be teams that think his scoring gets them to the Finals, not sneak into the playoffs.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Don't necessarily agree with that. The prospect might be the same, but the pick likely becomes a late 1st. Teams at the deadline looking at rental Skinner would be teams that think his scoring gets them to the Finals, not sneak into the playoffs.

Agreed. You have to go all the way back to 2008 to find a "rental" that returned a 1st not in the 20s (Foote.)

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver

Timmins is on a different prospect level than Morrison, and Timmins would never be included with the 16th pick. I'd argue that both Meloche and Greer are better prospects than Morrison, but they're all in about the same tier. I'd do 16th overall and Morrison for Skinner as an Avs fan.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

The point is that it isn't TDL and the Canes don't have to move Skinner. There's plenty of time and more teams at play right now. My sense is that's the type of return the Canes are looking for....and I've been a bit of a Meloche fan.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The only way I think the canes end up not getting hosed on a Skinner deal is if a real live NHL starting goalie comes to Carolina in return. I don't think it's realistic because each player mean so much to their franchise but what about Skinner for Rinne straight up? If the preds want to move on from him, may as well save money and add scoring in the process. Canes get a season to prove they're only a goalie away from taking that next step

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The way the Canes get hosed on a Skinner deal is if they don't move him, don't make the playoffs next year, and lose him for nothing at the conclusion of next season.

He's a UFA to be so he's not going to garner a huge return. IMO, because of his UFA status in a year, the return is either going to be a lesser player with some term, a UFA to be that plays a different style/position, or picks/prospects.

To me, the 16th OA and a decent (but not top) prospect is a good return and the actual return when he's moved may even be less. A trade like Simmonds for Skinner (both UFAs after next season) is also fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad