LeBrun: Winger Jeff Skinner is the most likely to move and it could happen as soon as the next 7-10 days

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought Canes needed more scoring? If Skinner is only 27 next year, sign him to a 6 or 7 year deal. You have him at a pretty good time...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They want a 1st + a good prospect apparently

they should have moved skinner coming off 37g and 2 years term remaining.
24g and a pending UFA doesnt have nearly the value

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I don't see the point of trading Skinner now for a 1st + prospect. We should easily be able to get that at the deadline after getting 30ish goals from him... Wouldn't like this unless that prospect is NHL ready.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
We could get a 1st Round and a prospect at the TDL next year for him- or more in a bidding war if things dont work out yet again- why do it now in a contract year? Makes no sense. He's not the problem and how do you replace all those goals?

I somewhat agree. I think you could get a 1st and decent prospect at deadline, if Skinner has a normal season to his standards. But, that pick is going to be ~25th overall. What for example Avs fans are offering is 16th overall, a pick that has a lot more value than ~25th overall pick. Also, if Skinner is traded that opens up some space to another player in the lineup (from UFA or from your system - there are a lot of NHL worthy prospects in your system).

Reactions: Unsustainable

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It's just strange to me that the Avs are looking for offense. Seems like the last thing they need.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
These kind of projections are always overblown, a new team wont make that kind of difference, not happening.

I agree that 45 is too lofty. He hit 37 last year on a low scoring team, with shitty linemates, and on the 2nd PP unit last season. A couple seasons before that he had 33 goals in 71 games. I could see him possibly hitting 40 if he was on a better team with better line-mates, and a better PP, but it's by no means a given.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It's just strange to me that the Avs are looking for offense. Seems like the last thing they need.

The Avs really did a 180 in the last 2-3 years. We were stacked with forwards but icing AHL defensemen. Now we've traded Duchene, ROR, and Stansty walked. Now our defense is really starting to look good, but they have two roster holes in their top 6 forwards that we've been filling with Soderbergs, Nietos, Andreghettos.

IIRC, didn't Skinner and Landeskog play together in juniors?

Yes they did, and if I remember correctly they're buddies still. I wonder if that will play in favor of the Avs with Skinner's NMC.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This might sound underwhelming to Canes fans, but would Forbert & LA's 1st for Skinner work?

Carolina could trade Hanifin for scoring help. And Forbert could be Faulk's playing partner. Maybe use LA's 1st to acquire Grubauer.

Then you have:
Zykov/Aho/TT
(Acquisition)/Lindholm/Svechnikov
Foegele/Staal/Williams
Rask/Wallmark/McGinn
Martinook
Slavin/Pesce
Forbert/Faulk
Fleury/TVR
Carrick or Mckeown
Grubauer
Ward?
Kings fan here.

I think that value may be fair, but I don't think either side does it. Forbort only has 2 years left on his current deal which would make him unattractive to the Canes IMO.

And while Skinner would be great for L.A., we can't afford to sign him to the 7M-8M per year contract he'll want.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Skinner + Hanifin for Saad + Nashville's 1st (#27OA) + Hawks 2019 2nd (becomes a 1st if Skinner signs an extension...but top 10 OA protected) plus dealers choice of any Dman in the Hawks organization not named Jokiharju (which would include last years 2nd round pick Ian Mitchell and Forsling who is NHL ready (to be at least a solid bottom pairing LHD, or even Ryan Murphy/Oesterle/Gustafson if one of them float your boat more).

I think Skinner is the better player then Saad. But Saad is a year younger, has won 2 Cups, and is under contract for 3 more years @ 6 as opposed to 1 and then Skinner looking for 7+ (given the inflation in the cap) long term. It will take a little imagination to look past Saad's down year and see his full value, but 4 very solid years in a row with 2 different organization prior to a down year should help give clarity on his value. If Skinner won't sign an extension with Carolina and has a NMC, his potential destinations become limited and reduce his trade value some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad