Speculation: Winger for JT and KO!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Even with a crappy Bailey, Nielsen will probably end the season with 70 or more points...That's gotta be top 5 in the league for 2nd line centres.

Nielsen has 26 ES points. Bailey has 18 ES points. 8 more points and he's leaps and bounds better?

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Yah but they aren't playing on first line and Couturier is a defensive forward..complete opposite from Strome. He also has size..Strome gets pushed around off the puck all the time at this level. Strome needs to put on 15 more pounds. Some players can play bigger than they are like St Louis or Nielsen...heck even Cory Conacher plays bigger than Strome.....I honestly have not seen that from Strome. Sheifle's a big kid too...I would compare him more to Nelson than Strome.

Understand you point. Perhaps Garth should be drafting more NHL ready players early instead of longer term projects like Strome and Nino. If he had selected Couturier and Fowler in those drafts we would be closer to a playoff spot.

What's the worst that happens if we try Strome in that spot? We finish bottom five? We're possibly going to do that anyway. If you don't want Strome we could move either Frans or Brock to first line center to lessen JT's defensive responsibilties. If not John needs to spend the summer with Trots and not in the dungeon. His defensive play is horrible.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I just hope JT's work ethic rubs off on Strome and transforms over the summer break.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I agree, we have nothing to lose at this point. Give Bailey his dream shot and an extended look at #1LW.

I prefer to keep Brock at center for now.

yep... rather than run bailey out of town, give him one last extended look and see if there is a swith that can be flipped.. hate him or not , we could use production from him in the future..

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Someone on the boards (pens fan) suggested Vanek for Letang....I'm all for that :cool:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you're genuinely interested in my thoughts on him (and haven't noticed my other posts about him) I won't be responding to this.

This may come as a shock to you but I don't keep a spreadsheet detailing what everyone who posts here thinks about every isles player.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006
Nielsen has 26 ES points. Bailey has 18 ES points. 8 more points and he's leaps and bounds better?

Uhm. Yeah. :laugh:

Bailey can't sniff his jock strap. Nielsen is a top end elite 2nd line center with his elite transition and d-zone coverage and 60-70 point pace offense. Bailey is a mediocre winger, and thats being kind.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Bailey can't sniff his jock strap. Nielsen is a top end elite 2nd line center with his elite transition and d-zone coverage and 60-70 point pace offense. Bailey is a mediocre winger, and thats being kind.

Nielsen is better defensively, better offensively, better at the shootout, better skater, better on the PP, better on the PK, better shot, better passing, better vision....I have a hard time finding out what Bailey's better than Nielsen at.

It's funny how the Bailey lovers say he's on par offensively....when Nielsen has literally outscored Bailey every single season of Bailey's career. :laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This may come as a shock to you but I don't keep a spreadsheet detailing what everyone who posts here thinks about every isles player.

Why don't you?:sarcasm:

And I wasn't sure if you read any of the Bailey/Grabner thread(s). I'm one of the most consistent Bailey supporters, and I get ripped on for it quite a bit.

I believe Bailey hasn't been put in a situation to succeed. I'm not a believer in the 'invisible' claim that many throw around simply because a player doesn't show up on the stat sheet. His play is more about puck possession and less with the run and gun stuff. Who has he been playing with the most recently? Grabner and Nielsen, who both succeed off running and gunning. I think placing Bailey with a player like Strome or Tavares will give him more space to operate and maintain possession in the offensive zone for longer than 5 seconds. He's not going to carry the play for a line, but he's a great complimentary piece and showed that last season/playoffs and during the pre-season while playing wing on the top line. Top lines don't need 3 players who are all A+ talents who are stars, if Bailey (or anybody for that matter) can produce in that spot, why wouldn't you play him there?

If the 1st line production with Bailey on it has JT set for 81 points every season but has the 2nd and 3rd lines scoring more because of the way each set of players compliments one another, that's the way to go. The objective shouldn't be to get the maximum amount of goals from one line, but from the entire team, and having Bailey play with the appropriate players (and actually stay at the same position) will help the entire team.

If it fails, then at least Snow knows exactly what he has in Bailey and can figure out something else to do with him. I'd be all for a demotion, trade, whatever if he still failed.

Are you sure it isn't the JT affect on Nielsen's numbers? He's got a ton of PP points, and I'd be really interested to see what Bailey's production would look like if he were in that spot instead.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nielsen is better defensively, better offensively, better at the shootout, better skater, better on the PP, better on the PK, better shot, better passing, better vision....I have a hard time finding out what Bailey's better than Nielsen at.

It's funny how the Bailey lovers say he's on par offensively....when Nielsen has literally outscored Bailey every single season of Bailey's career. :laugh:

I don't say Bailey is on par offensively, I say he could be, and that Nielsen would still produce at a very consistent level (which is something you don't seem to understand).

Bailey isn't a scrub when it comes to defensive play or being on the PK. Better passing, vision, and on the PP is debatable, as we've never seen Bailey be given real PP time. Having Clutterbuck as a finisher on the PP is a lot different than having Vanek, Okposo, Tavares.

PoorFlory

Feb 2, 2014
Long Island
Bailey's an overpaid 3rd line player. I sincerely hope he doesn't end up on the 1st line. That would be terrible. Nelson gets Vaneks spot.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The problem with Bailey is that "we" as fans are frustrated because the guy actually has the talent to be a solid good player, but he isn't doing it. Much like Kyle. Now, KO is is doing something about it and Bailey, with all that talent is playing like he was drafted in the 5th round.

I think Bailey fans are all hooked on potential and ceiling and not looking at the actual numbers. I think we can all agree that it's definitely a psychological thing stopping him from succeeding. KO had to prove he was good enough for the first line and both were given numerous chances. Both failed miserably for a few years. It was not long ago KO was the whipping boy...lets not forget that. I just do not think Bailey should play on the first line just yet, until he can prove that he can produce everywhere else.

Nielsen on the other hand CAN produce anywhere else with anyone. That is why I think he'd make the first line MUCH better. Both offensively AND defensively.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The problem with Bailey is that "we" as fans are frustrated because the guy actually has the talent to be a solid good player, but he isn't doing it. Much like Kyle. Now, KO is is doing something about it and Bailey, with all that talent is playing like he was drafted in the 5th round.

I think Bailey fans are all hooked on potential and ceiling and not looking at the actual numbers. I think we can all agree that it's definitely a psychological thing stopping him from succeeding. KO had to prove he was good enough for the first line and both were given numerous chances. Both failed miserably for a few years. It was not long ago KO was the whipping boy...lets not forget that. I just do not think Bailey should play on the first line just yet, until he can prove that he can produce everywhere else.

The question becomes, how do you make him successful? Burying him in the lineup isn't going to bring that out. Okposo was playing horribly last season and leading up to that season, making the same mistakes time and time again. During the playoff push, he and Bailey produced. During the playoffs he continued to produce and really simplified his game, as Bailey was bumped up to the 1st line where he still produced.

He needs to be with players that fit his style in order to produce for long stretches.

Nielsen on the other hand CAN produce anywhere else with anyone. That is why I think he'd make the first line MUCH better. Both offensively AND defensively.

Nielsen is very versatile, which is why he shouldn't be on the first line. What happens to our pitiful secondary scoring with Nielsen going up to the first line? Our 2nd line will have who playing center? If it's Nelson or Strome, that's fine, but then who is taking our 3rd line spot? That will leave a big hole and render the line more ineffective than it currently is, and I don't think Nielsen is going to help the top line that much defensively, and he likely won't produce at the same clip that Vanek was/is.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I was thinking Nelson gets bumped to 2nd line centre and Strome takes 3rd line responsibilities.

Something like

Nielsen - JT - KO
Bailey - Nelson - Grabner or Bailey - Nelson - Strome
Strome - Regin - Clutter or keep this line the same as before or Lee - Strome - Clutter
Martin - Zeeker - McD

Lets face it...our first line is bad at 2-way play. Nielsen would improve that and make the line more balanced. I understand what you are saying about spreading the talent, but making each line balanced is better off than trying to do everything at once.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was thinking Nelson gets bumped to 2nd line centre and Strome takes 3rd line responsibilities.

Something like

Nielsen - JT - KO
Bailey - Nelson - Grabner or Bailey - Nelson - Strome
Strome - Regin - Clutter or keep this line the same as before or Lee - Strome - Clutter
Martin - Zeeker - McD

Lets face it...our first line is bad at 2-way play. Nielsen would improve that and make the line more balanced. I understand what you are saying about spreading the talent, but making each line balanced is better off than trying to do everything at once.

Are you suggesting Nielsen for the future or just remainder of the season?

I'm a big fan of having Nelson and Strome together, as I don't think there's a need for both to become centers (I think that'd hurt us more than it helps).

And doesn't it hurt us all a little bit to see Regin in the lineup still :(

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Are you suggesting Nielsen for the future or just remainder of the season?

I'm a big fan of having Nelson and Strome together, as I don't think there's a need for both to become centers (I think that'd hurt us more than it helps).

And doesn't it hurt us all a little bit to see Regin in the lineup still :(

I think for this season...which is why I included Regin. I think Regin will ultimately remain as a depth player for us in the future. I honestly see no other team taking interest in him. For depth..I am all for that.

As for Nielsen being permanent in that role..well, he should be there long enough until such time where we can find a legit replacement.

The only reason I didn't put Nelson and Strome together is that I try to stay away from putting two rookies on the same line. They are gonna make mistakes and 2 x mistakes can really hurt the team.

The only reason I thought of Lee and Strome (together) is because they had chemistry and it's only for this season on the third line with less minutes. It would reduce the mistakes made and it would also give time for the coaching staff to point out mistakes. Might as well give Lee some experience. Ultimately, I think Lee will become CMcD's replacement.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It has to be Bailey. Proven chemistry with Okposo. Small sample size, but produced well with Tavares. The position he's had the most success in has been LW. The 'need' to get him going, to either have him start earning his contract or to up his offseason trade value. Both could be accomplished with a 20+ game stint on the Tavares-Okposo line.

Nelson has been too good at center, and it appears as if he's being groomed for that 2C spot. Don't see him being moved. Strome could be a fit, but I think he'd be a better fit with Nelson. At least for the time being.

Bailey is the obvious choice, IMO.

This right here. Agree 100%

I am as frustrated with Bailey as everyone else is. But to just bury him makes no sense when you have 20 or so meaningless games.

Bailey has produced and looked solid when paired with Okposo. No player on the Isles has ever had problems producing when placed on a line with John Tavares for an extended period of time

I honestly think that Bailey could finish out the rest of the year at close to a point per game if paired with Okposo and Tavares.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
LOL gee another thread stating we need a winger for JT. Umm.. we have one, his name is Thomas Vanek. Garth Snow and Wang wont resign him.

If they were smart they would go back to Vanek and offer him 7 yrs 65-70 million.

But please... continue on with how next year is the year of Josh Bailey!!!

Please 1 more year, lets put him on with JT. I just know next year will be his break out year.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Nelson would be the most effective LW for the Tavares line, but at a cost to secondary scoring.
I like big centers and Nelson is showing us he is going to be a good one. Leave him there until he is ready to take over 2nd line C.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Give Bailey a shot.

Players get confidence playing with JT.

Although, you can't really argue against Brock. He's big, goes to the net, and can score dirty goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad