Speculation: Winger for JT and KO!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'd rather not see Nelson or Strome up on the top line, but it'd be fine if it were temporary. I'd like Bailey up on the 1st line and call up Lee to play with Nelson and Strome on the 2nd/3rd line that should be even in TOI with Nielsen's line.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I'd rather not see Nelson or Strome up on the top line, but it'd be fine if it were temporary. I'd like Bailey up on the 1st line and call up Lee to play with Nelson and Strome on the 2nd/3rd line that should be even in TOI with Nielsen's line.

I like Bailey up on the concession line selling hot dogs.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I think that's a sacrifice we should be willing to live with.

Sure, but that doesn't change my premise. If you are using Okposo in a primarily offensive role, his defensive play may suffer. And, in that case, you want the third winger on that line to have some of those capabilities.

That's why I think a guy like Strome would be a very poor fit.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Nelson is the most capable but his support and secondary scoring would be missed more than he could contribute to the 1st line.
Bailey would require too much of an effort to make up for, a line-killer.
Strome or Lee should get the opportunity. Let one or the other see if they can fit the role, waive Regin, bring back Ullstrom for a bottom 6 role.

Crimson Live

Dec 29, 2012
Örnsköldsvik
Nelson is the most capable but his support and secondary scoring would be missed more than he could contribute to the 1st line.
Strome or Lee should get the opportunity. Let one or the other see if they can fit the role, waive Regin, bring back Ullstrom for a bottom 6 role.

So Nelson has played too well and therefore should not get the opportunity to play on the teams top line? I am confused

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Assume Vanek is gone, who gets the gig?

And for those of you who want to say Moulson, don't make me come through this computer screen! :rant:

My vote is for Brock!

What do you guys think?

Not saying that this will happen. But who is to say that whoever replaces Vanek get the spot ?

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
If JT plays well in the Olympics as a wing I would have Strome center KO and John. Otherwise Brock on the left wing. Bailey wouldn't see the first line unless he earns it. We'll probably get his six games of spectacular play and after he gets bored he'll revert to his normal self.

Longshot in the off season if the contract is reasonable would be Gaborik.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I am really opposed to Strome/Nelson getting the spot (depending on who our long time 2nd C is going to be).

So Nelson has played too well and therefore should not get the opportunity to play on the teams top line? I am confused

Many of you seem to not understand the need for secondary scoring. Secondary scoring doesn't occur because you have leftover talent after you've stacked your top line, it occurs when you take talent and spread it throughout your lineup.

As good as Vanek/Tavares/Okposo has been, if Vanek signed a long term deal or signs one, I'd really expect and want Vanek dropped to the 2nd line to help bring more balance to our offensive production. Stacking your top line doesn't always make the most sense.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Why are people wanting to put Nielsen to the third line? He's having a career year and is a legit 2nd line centre.

If anything, Nielsen should get a shot on first line. He'll not only give extra scoring, but is defensively responsible. This would then open up 2nd line centre to Nelson and third to Strome. Nelson is doing well, but not that well. He's got size and scored a couple goals...does that really constitute having a shot on first line?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If JT plays well in the Olympics as a wing I would have Strome center KO and John. Otherwise Brock on the left wing. Bailey wouldn't see the first line unless he earns it. We'll probably get his six games of spectacular play and after he gets bored he'll revert to his normal self.

Longshot in the off season if the contract is reasonable would be Gaborik.

Come on. There's a reason Strome was sent down. He still has stuff to work on.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Gotta assume that through Vanek, Amac, Nabby, possibly Visno, possibly Grabner, possibly even Bailey: somehow, someway, we'll be getting back at least one young forward prospect. If they're NHL-ready, they might start replacing Vanek on JT's line.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Mark Scheifele is playing well at this level as is Sean Couturier. It's time to see what Ryan can do.

Yah but they aren't playing on first line and Couturier is a defensive forward..complete opposite from Strome. He also has size..Strome gets pushed around off the puck all the time at this level. Strome needs to put on 15 more pounds. Some players can play bigger than they are like St Louis or Nielsen...heck even Cory Conacher plays bigger than Strome.....I honestly have not seen that from Strome. Sheifle's a big kid too...I would compare him more to Nelson than Strome.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why are people wanting to put Nielsen to the third line? He's having a career year and is a legit 2nd line centre.

If anything, Nielsen should get a shot on first line. He'll not only give extra scoring, but is defensively responsible. This would then open up 2nd line centre to Nelson and third to Strome. Nelson is doing well, but not that well. He's got size and scored a couple goals...does that really constitute having a shot on first line?

Because Nielsen is better in a 3rd line role if we have the depth. Most of his points have come from being on the PP.

I think Nelson/Strome/Bailey will produce more as a 2nd line than any 2nd line that has Nielsen centering it.

If the team went with:

X - Tavares - Okposo
Nelson - Strome - Bailey
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

You'd likely see more scoring from the 2nd line, while maintaining the scoring chances with the 3rd line with the speed of Grabner/Nilesen and constant shooting of Clutterbuck creating rebounds off the rush for them. They'd also be a better shutdown line.

Tavares, Okposo, Nelson, Strome, and Bailey all need to be in the top 6 in some manner. If you move Strome down you weaken the 3rd line and you're not gaining any production on the 2nd line. If you move Strome/Nelson up, you weaken the 2nd/3rd line and we're going to be in the same boat we are currently.

Having only one line that produces doesn't work. And the idea of 'earning' spots or roles really just needs to go away.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Tavares, Okposo, Nelson, Strome, and Bailey all need to be in the top 6 in some manner.

Bailey doesn't need to be in the top 6 in any manner whatsoever. He can't produce, so the solution is to keep his icetime high and further drag down the 2nd line? I didn't like the Bailey contract when it was signed and I certainly don't like it now, but at what point do we realize Bailey is a Schremp/Tambellini level player (maybe not THAT bad) whose biggest contribution to the Islanders would be getting the Bouchard treatment?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Even with a crappy Bailey, Nielsen will probably end the season with 70 or more points...That's gotta be top 5 in the league for 2nd line centres.

I'm just not ready to put a rookie on the first line. I'd rather take Amac and move him to forward the first line :cool:...but between KO's 4 week long one timers and Amacs low hockey IQ...it'll be like watching slow motion hockey.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bailey doesn't need to be in the top 6 in any manner whatsoever. He can't produce, so the solution is to keep his icetime high and further drag down the 2nd line? I didn't like the Bailey contract when it was signed and I certainly don't like it now, but at what point do we realize Bailey is a Schremp/Tambellini level player (maybe not THAT bad) whose biggest contribution to the Islanders would be getting the Bouchard treatment?

Unless you're genuinely interested in my thoughts on him (and haven't noticed my other posts about him) I won't be responding to this.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It has to be Bailey. Proven chemistry with Okposo. Small sample size, but produced well with Tavares. The position he's had the most success in has been LW. The 'need' to get him going, to either have him start earning his contract or to up his offseason trade value. Both could be accomplished with a 20+ game stint on the Tavares-Okposo line.

Nelson has been too good at center, and it appears as if he's being groomed for that 2C spot. Don't see him being moved. Strome could be a fit, but I think he'd be a better fit with Nelson. At least for the time being.

Bailey is the obvious choice, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad