Speculation: Winger for JT and KO!

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Assume Vanek is gone, ergo gets the gig?

And for those of you who want to say Moulson, don't make me come through this computer screen! :rant:

My vote is for Brock!

What do you guys think?

+1, the only problem is that now the secondary scoring will actually get worse. :facepalm:

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I'd give Bailey a shot. Does he deserve it the way he has been playing? No. Do I think Tavares could get him jump started? Yes. Did Okposo look like a first liner before this season playing with Tavares? No. Did playing with Tavares help him to develop into the player that he projected to be? Yes. If we could get Bailey going, that would help the team immensely. If the team judges him to be too streaky or just a product of Tavares, trade him this summer, but at least we'd be trading a player with some value (stats to show promise). Bailey has looked pretty good with Tavares in the past.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
What I would like to see when he is moved:

Nelson-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Strome-Bouchard
Bailey-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

If Nelson and JT mesh well, I would move Okposo down after about 10 games to strenghten the second line. If not, I would switch Nelson and Strome.

What I think we will see:
Bailey-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Regin
Strome-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
What I would like to see when he is moved:

Nelson-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Strome-Bouchard
Bailey-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

If Nelson and JT mesh well, I would move Okposo down after about 10 games to strenghten the second line. If not, I would switch Nelson and Strome.

What I think we will see:
Bailey-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Regin
Strome-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

PMD? Yikes!

Rather recall Lee.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
With Brock doing well at the Center position, this might be the time to give Strome a look there.

I could see Strome and Brock swapped back and forth for a little while we try to figure out who fits best where.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Mason Raymond - To me this is the kind of guy that Snow/Wang try to pawn off as a first line threat....Would be a good addition but probably not a first liner

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd give Bailey a shot. Does he deserve it the way he has been playing? No. Do I think Tavares could get him jump started? Yes. Did Okposo look like a first liner before this season playing with Tavares? No. Did playing with Tavares help him to develop into the player that he projected to be? Yes. If we could get Bailey going, that would help the team immensely. If the team judges him to be too streaky or just a product of Tavares, trade him this summer, but at least we'd be trading a player with some value (stats to show promise). Bailey has looked pretty good with Tavares in the past.

I agree, we have nothing to lose at this point. Give Bailey his dream shot and an extended look at #1LW.

I prefer to keep Brock at center for now.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The problem is that JT needs winger with size and defensive skills.

KO is that guy. Let's face it Vanek has size, but not the defensive skills.

Strome's hockey sense is probably as close as we can get to Vanek's

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Nelson on #1, call up Strome and put him at 2C (cuz ideally that's where they're gonna hope to put him in the future anyway), and put franzie at 3C.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nelson on #1, call up Strome and put him at 2C (cuz ideally that's where they're gonna hope to put him in the future anyway), and put franzie at 3C.

I think it's too early to put Strome at the #2C spot, he hasn't earned it and the organization seems to go by that. Nelson is proving to be the goods, but he has had to go through a bizarre/tough process to get where he's at. With the season lost and Vanek+AMac being traded, it wouldn't hurt to see different combinations the rest of the season. It's a radical thought, but this is what I'd do:

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Lee-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-CMac

We need to get Bailey going and first line duty could be a really good thing for him. He could use it as a springboard for next season and get some confidence. We've never seen this combo, let's give it a long awaited look.

The #2 and #3 lines could be interchangeable as time goes by. I want to see Nelson and Strome together and it really wouldn't matter who is really the center and who is the winger. Nelson is more a complete center right now, Strome would have less responsibility as a winger. They could re-evaluate at the end of the season.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I think it's too early to put Strome at the #2C spot, he hasn't earned it and the organization seems to go by that. Nelson is proving to be the goods, but he has had to go through a bizarre/tough process to get where he's at. With the season lost and Vanek+AMac being traded, it wouldn't hurt to see different combinations the rest of the season. It's a radical thought, but this is what I'd do:

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Lee-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-CMac

We need to get Bailey going and first line duty could be a really good thing for him. He could use it as a springboard for next season and get some confidence. We've never seen this combo, let's give it a long awaited look.

The #2 and #3 lines could be interchangeable as time goes by. I want to see Nelson and Strome together and it really wouldn't matter who is really the center and who is the winger. Nelson is more a complete center right now, Strome would have less responsibility as a winger. They could re-evaluate at the end of the season.

:handclap::handclap::handclap: 100% agree. Only part is the CC and MG are both right wings but one of them can move over.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Don't wanna get flamed here but why not Bailey?

If Johnny and Kyle cant get him going then who can?

If we are forced to trade Vanek which is looking more and more likely and the playoffs are out of reach, give it a shot...

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Instead of looking at it from our point of view of who'd make a good winger for JT, we have to look at it from our opponents' and how they play against us..

In short: They always have their best defenders out against JT and whomever happens to be on the ice with him..

I've never watched a Sound Tigers game in my life, but from what I saw of Strome with the Islanders he's absolutely not ready for first-line duty in the NHL.. He has gobs of potential and everything I've ever read says he's incredibly gifted.. but he's not able to think the game at a level that he can outsmart the other teams' best defensive players on a regular basis..

Nelson certainly seems much more polished, but I think we can all agree that he's progressing quite nicely - and given I have the same inexperience concerns about him as I do Strome, I don't think first line is a challenge Nelson would be up to right now either.

Really, our only choice is Bailey. He's played long enough in the league that he (hopefully) can think at a higher level than Strome/Nelson in most of the situations the first line will face.. he certainly is way more experienced.. plus, in terms of confidence - we have nothing to lose by going with Bailey. We have no confidence in him, and he probably doesn't have much in himself right now.. if it doesn't work out, it's almost like we wouldn't even be surprised..

But if it works out WELL, if Bailey shows that he can actually produce night in and night out playing with Tavares and Okposo - it's a huge boost for the organization and for Bailey himself..

Give it to Bailey, and stick with it for at least 10 games.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Assume Vanek is gone, who gets the gig?

And for those of you who want to say Moulson, don't make me come through this computer screen! :rant:

My vote is for Brock!

What do you guys think?

brock_nelson062610_325.jpg

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I don't know. As I pointed out in that silly Kessel poll below,I feel that KO has taken a small step backwards defensively as he has emerged as a scorer.

I think that's a sacrifice we should be willing to live with.

War Admiral

Mar 24, 2006
Long Island
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be alright. :cry:

Yes...Oleg's flaxen locks would complement JT's hair curl perfectly.

BTW...I agree. I would love to see what Brock could do with Kyle and JT. I think he would surprise a few...with his size and skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad