Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So if torres is still here i make him a skills coach nothing more. BB MUST hit on a coaching staff! Im hearing Welly is likely out. Not physical injury problems, more personal. Still some big pieces to fall with staff and euro pick.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So if torres is still here i make him a skills coach nothing more. BB MUST hit on a coaching staff! Im hearing Welly is likely out. Not physical injury problems, more personal. Still some big pieces to fall with staff and euro pick.
Torres being back still looks pretty clunky. Eg.. Torres starts out as assistant coach, promoted to interim coach and then goes to skills coach?? Whatever works I guess but the perception and optics don't look great. A new coach inherits Newbury and Torres? One who has already been the head coach? So the new coach wouldn't really get to pick any of his assistants? New coach looking over his shoulder??

Reactions: Teflon

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Some early NHL mock drafts for top 16 picks has Greentree going to Red Wings. They could use his size up front.
The wings have been statistically poor at drafting OHL guys, part of the reason I stopped following them when I was younger. They’ve gotten better under Y but it’s felt like they’ve been trying to hit that home run on European players and duplicate their 90s success.

The only problem is now everyone is looking overseas at talent. The two former OHL guys that come to mind they have are Fischer and Fabbri, both acquired by trade.

I never understood why with close proximity to the O, they’d rarely make good selections from it. Only spit I recall them drafting was Zito

Reactions: Section 103

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The wings have been statistically poor at drafting OHL guys, part of the reason I stopped following them when I was younger. They’ve gotten better under Y but it’s felt like they’ve been trying to hit that home run on European players and duplicate their 90s success.

The only problem is now everyone is looking overseas at talent. The two former OHL guys that come to mind they have are Fischer and Fabbri, both acquired by trade.

I never understood why with close proximity to the O, they’d rarely make good selections from it. Only spit I recall them drafting was Zito
I agree in the past but during their good years, their draft placement was always poor and they had to go off-shore to find gems in the rough. Not the case now. Nate Danielson, Andrew Gibson, Amadeus Lombardi, Sebastian Cossa all recent high end picks from the CHL. ZITO just did not develop as expected by the Wings or any of his OHL teams. Personality issues with every team he was on.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I see that several teams have signed their draft choices. Windsor needs to be getting it done. Do not give anyone else a chance to recruit them away.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Is he really that stealthy though? Was anybody surprised with the Smith hire?? I don't recall there being much stealthy moves there. This season where he traded the guys we expected isn't that private everything we expected.
Yes. SMITH was not a surprise as much as his quicker exit. Nobody has much of a clue who the HC may be. Savard was a kept surprise secret until it was announced. No one predicted Torres or Newberry coming. Not that I am applauding the choices he made just that it was tight lipped until announced.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Is he really that stealthy though? Was anybody surprised with the Smith hire?? I don't recall there being much stealthy moves there. This season where he traded the guys we expected isn't that private everything we expected.
I'm pretty sure everybody was surprised when he went all off season without naming a coach and then in late August dropped Marc Savard on us. How did that work out again? I forget.

Whatever, crusties gonna crust. We all wanted last year to be a rebuilding season, and Bowler's decisions have given us the best opportunity possible for a quick return to the top. I would rather have the best player in the draft and a lame duck coach to build around than the best coach and a bunch of lame duck players. That's what having a good coach last year would have given us. You have said yourself many times that talent wins in this league and Bowler secured that talent, you got nothing crusty!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They did last year so it wouldn't shock me to hear some announcement in next week or two.
Sources tell me orientation/ rookie camp will be next Friday and Saturday.
Don't know the times re each day to be played in the community rinks
Expect an announcement and emails to season ticket holders from team next week.
That's all I have got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad