Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

"Not having inside knowledge I'll hazard a guess...If they paid the head coach this year he might be unsigned for 21. If so I can see Bowler left with the GM/Coach scenerio. That would leave one assistant coach (Smith). I can see them dealing a bunch of draft picks in the 5-15 range for future picks. Training camp will probably be small. No sense bringing in a large number of players. It would keep the costs down. Another cost saver for the Spits & others would be a number of teams going together to hire an outside scouting combine to do the scouting for them all. it's been done years ago."

Punch

This is something they should be looking at doing every year and take it one step further, there should be a combine type set up for kid's entering their draft year in the league. One on each side of the border. They need to get the kids attention, particularly across the border before they start minor midget. All teams should be involved and sending staff to it. For this year hiring an outside scouting service to do it would be one thing but there's reason why the league can do this collectively, again, one on each side of the border. Each team can send their own scouts or observers etc while the league could hire a team of scouts to put together a ranking.

If Letowski did fulfill his contract this past year, no one really knows at this point then Bowler handling the dual role would save some money, and give him something to do with his time while Savages decide on their next move.

I only see them moving those mid to late round picks for warm bodies to fill out the roster. I agree training camp is likely to be small and that's why I feel there will be very little competition for roster spots. Have to wonder is it cheaper to deal a pick for someone who has a year or two left owing on their education package or sign someone out of camp who would be getting three or four years on their package? That's why I think the roster is pretty much set. They have 17 signed, likely 3 from the upcoming draft, that's been the trend with them lately and an import gives them 21. Add one or two deals for middle of the road vets that cost them a couple of late round picks combined and they end up with 22 or 23. For those that show up to camp, thanks for coming but nothing is going to change this year.

This franchise has become extremely predictable in such a short time. Cut costs and look for someone who will overpay for a middle of the road franchise that'll need to be rebuilt off and on the ice.

"I agree it can be a concern. Does that concern outweigh the fact these kids in Ontario didn't really play any games or get coaching? Will these kids be able to make up that one year in order to be ready for their draft year of 2023? These prospects played a lot of games in the states and many more scrimmages."

Rayzor
My concern stems from this team's track record the last few years. The strategy would be smart if they were still attracting Americans on a somewhat regular basis but that's no longer the case with this group. When only signed Americans show for camp for a few years in a row now or Kruszewski being the only other American to show up I don't think it matters how many Americans they draft if the team isn't doing much to get them across the border. Based on the year off for many Canadian kids versus many Americans playing some type of season then in terms of kids being ready, yes, the American kids would be the smart bet. Based on this team not being able to attract American kids regularly it probably doesn't improve their chances of getting American kids to report if there's not much effort put into it.

It's not that it's a good idea or bad, it's the effort to get kids to report.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Anybody hear how the OHL is going to run the draft starting tomorrow night. Lottery to begin with with picks to follow immediately? Will trading be allowed on the 2nd day? Not a big user of U-Tube so I’ll need some advice from my wife to be able to get it on the Tv…..
I think it is just the lottery tomorrow night. Draft will follow in a couple of weeks.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I think it is just the lottery tomorrow night. Draft will follow in a couple of weeks.
You are correct….
While the Priority Selection remains its customary 15 rounds in length, the League will be determining the order of selection by way of its first-ever Priority Selection Draft Lottery on Wednesday, May 5 at 7:00pm. The proceedings will be livestreamed on the OHL YouTube channel.

The 2021 OHL Priority Selection will largely see the top-ranked players born in 2005 within OHL jurisdiction eligible to be selected on June 4-5.
Both the OHL Priority Selection and Draft Lottery will be streamed on the OHL’s YouTube channel, across social media platforms Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and covered extensively at ontariohockeyleague.com.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Faub I’m a bit surprised you think a camp watching kids is an ok replacement for watching them play in games. There’s no way on this earth scouts could/would be ok with it. Way to many things to look for over a season that you just can’t see in a camp type session. If your just referring to this year I can understand it, but no way after a reg season.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So 2 things for tonight's draft lottery - Windsor needs to get a pick in the top 5 and Barrie needs to get a pick in the bottom 2 or 3. Windsor picking 1st overall and Barrie picking 20th would be ideal as we have Barrie's second round pick so Windsor would pick 1st in the second round. What are the odds of that happening?!?!:naughty::):popcorn:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So 2 things for tonight's draft lottery - Windsor needs to get a pick in the top 5 and Barrie needs to get a pick in the bottom 2 or 3. Windsor picking 1st overall and Barrie picking 20th would be ideal as we have Barrie's second round pick so Windsor would pick 1st in the second round. What are the odds of that happening?!?!:naughty::):popcorn:

Would gm know what direction to go or should he consult?
Just a yes man..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor has their own 1st, Barrie's 2nd, no 3rd, Flint's 4th, and their own 4th. In theory, that's four picks that could do something this season...

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Windsor has their own 1st, Barrie's 2nd, no 3rd, Flint's 4th, and their own 4th. In theory, that's four picks that could do something this season...
Tonight’s draft selections really are just a set up for the actual draft in a month. However maybe an extra pick could become available via the trade route. Love to add the missing 3rd. The next month could be a very busy time.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Tonight’s draft selections really are just a set up for the actual draft in a month. However maybe an extra pick could become available via the trade route. Love to add the missing 3rd. The next month could be a very busy time.
Not sure this is the year to trade up for picks unless you have a sure fire player lined up. Scouting has been light this year so teams may pick up a player in the later rounds that has developed beyond his pick status. There will be wins and losses for most teams this year. You don't have much to go on beyond what you have seen from the kids in Bantam. The top 2 rounds will be ok but after that who knows, so can't see trading to get a 3rd or lower round pick.

Reactions: KyGuy9

member 71782

Faub I’m a bit surprised you think a camp watching kids is an ok replacement for watching them play in games. There’s no way on this earth scouts could/would be ok with it. Way to many things to look for over a season that you just can’t see in a camp type session. If your just referring to this year I can understand it, but no way after a reg season.

Definitely not a replacement for scouting.

This season, doing something to see these kids needs to happen, both sides of the border. It should be more of a tournament/camp combination. Run a mini camp, do some testing etc then put them split them up into some teams and let them play. Obviously not the best circumstances, especially for kids on this side of the border but for this season it's something.

As for other seasons I've always wanted to see the league as a whole start approaching these kids at least the year going into their minor midget draft year and potentially even through two age groups including going into their second year of bantam. Again, both sides of the border. This wouldn't be so much for scouting, obviously it would be a part of it but more for general league wide recruiting.

Kids going into their second year of bantam, invite 100 - 150 to what amounts to a glorified hockey school. OHL staffs working with them on some skills training, off ice training etc for a couple of days then put them on some teams, if you could run 5 or 6 teams and have them play a mini tournament for 3 days, same with the kids going into midget minor. Again, run one on this side of the border and one on the US side. No current OHL players would be involved to avoid the playing with pros issue but having team staffs, coaches/trainers to run the activities along with scouts to give advice on what teams look for, areas to improve etc. I think this would pass the NCAA test, it would likely generate some more interest from undecided kids and the teams get an early view of kids that will be draft eligible in the next year or two.

Scouts approach kids all the time, based on what a team is looking for, that passes the NCAA test. The league running a camp for younger players should also pass the test, would the NCAA have an issue with NHL teams running camps for kids at this age? I doubt it so if an actual pro league could do it there's no reason why another league they consider to be pro couldn't do it which is why there should be no NCAA issues.

In the end the league as a whole gets a chance to sell the leagueto the top kids, provide them with the type of experience that gives the kids a taste of the expectations the league provides as well as the opportunity for each team to get an early look at the kids coming up. The best recruitment tool is the experience they'll have and the tie in to the players plaing in the NHL who have had that same experience.

This season, yeah they need to do something to get some type of view and a combine/skills camp should be one part of the equation along with some game type situations but in the future they need to reach out to kids with the same type of experience before they're draft eligible.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Who are wee kidding.....the knights will end up with first overall......Thanks Branch.

Reactions: nelli27

member 71782

Not sure this is the year to trade up for picks unless you have a sure fire player lined up. Scouting has been light this year so teams may pick up a player in the later rounds that has developed beyond his pick status. There will be wins and losses for most teams this year. You don't have much to go on beyond what you have seen from the kids in Bantam. The top 2 rounds will be ok but after that who knows, so can't see trading to get a 3rd or lower round pick.

To me it comes down to where in the 3RD the pick would be, could they fill an open spot on their board a year or two out at the same time and can they be trusted to make a solid pick at that point.

Trading for a late 3RD with 2x 4THS wouldn't be worth it, especially with the lack of trust I would have in Bowler making the pick.

If they could get a top 5 in the round and a 4TH in 2023 where they currently don't have a 4TH.

Top 5 3RD 2021 and a 4TH in 2023

for

FLT 4TH 2021, SSM 6TH 2021, KIT 3RD 2023

That would still leave them 16 picks this year, a full board next year minus a 15TH, they would be short a 5TH in 2023 with an extra 3RD (HAM) if Staois plays his OA year this year and a full board in 2024 with an extra 2ND. The 5Th in 2024 would again be dependent on Staois playing his OA year this year.

Giving up a 3RD, even 2 years out would be the bare minimum along with a couple of picks this year but if you can at least fill that 4TH in 2023 along with a top 5 3RD this year it's about the only way I would do it. It would take a team that is confident they have a very good roster coming back this year and would find more value in having a tradeable 3RD then drafting a kid who likely won't play this year. Draft picks are going to have questionable value in trades before the window for players to be dealt opens while they will likely carry more value in trades for established players which likely won't be happening with the 2021 picks between the lottery and the draft.

It's a tough call and the biggest question would be can Bowler be trusted making the pick or would others want it to pick a friend's kid? We'll see where Windsor is in the draft then go from there.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well I guess the odds were very very good!!!

Reactions: I guard the door
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad