Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Agree. Until the D is fully in place we don't know what we have in goal or even up front.

We know Medina is a good goalie but he's not top tier. A better D would help him immensely.

Up front if they are more confident in the Ds capabilities they likely become more aggressive pushing the play.

It's up to Bowler at this time to start figuring this out.

Is he a good goalie thou? He has good games, but his numbers suggest he is quite average. Our 3rd goaltender Chenard had a .911 Sv the last time we had a season and I'm not sure he's defined as 'good', Medina had a .886 that year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Is he a good goalie thou? He has good games, but his numbers suggest he is quite average. Our 3rd goaltender Chenard had a .911 Sv the last time we had a season and I'm not sure he's defined as 'good', Medina had a .886 that year.

I think overall Medina has an interesting body of work. He came in as a backup to Piiroinen. Piiroinen struggled at times and it opened the door for Medina. Medina overtook him, some of it had to do with how poorly Piiroinen played and some of it because Medina played well. Medina was good the final 5 games of the season. The question needs to be asked how relevant are the final 5 games of a season when you haven't played a competitive game in 18 months. I think the answer would be not very relevant. That really has nothing to do with how he has played this year either. He hasn't played well and the defense has been of zero help.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

He's inconsistent but has the potential to be very good. I don't know whether the issue is his talent, the defence, or something upstairs. When he was drafted, the Spitfires had DiPietro so it made sense that Medina would learn and then take over. However, two months later, the club picked up Kari Piiroinen in the Import Draft. Boom, goalie jam. Medina held out, stayed home for a year. Once DiP was traded in 2018, Piiroinen/Medina battled it out in 2019-20 with Medina edging him out. This season was supposed to be Medina's time to run with the starter's role while mentoring 2020 2nd rounder Downey. However, Medina can't get going and Downey's done well... so predicting anything in the crease has become a crapshoot.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know this post will get kicked all over the parking lot but I'm really missing how some are "judging" players. Not a stay at home D, gets caught rushing the puck too much, pinches too much??? This sounds like 1992 hockey??
Kids are told by coaches and scouts and player development guys to get into a 5 man offensive drive, pinch more forecheck harder, drive the puck in the offensive end. Work it hard in the offensive end. They are taught and encouraged to think offense first and then return on D as a 5 man unit. The only players that fit the "stay at home D" are players who can't skate fast enough to stay with the flow. Team speed and 5 man units is what hockey is today. Yes in a few years it will likely change but kid are going to play what NHL and team staff are telling them to do not what some fans think they should be doing. Sit back and enjoy the game and watch it evolve.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I know this post will get kicked all over the parking lot but I'm really missing how some are "judging" players. Not a stay at home D, gets caught rushing the puck too much, pinches too much??? This sounds like 1992 hockey??
Kids are told by coaches and scouts and player development guys to get into a 5 man offensive drive, pinch more forecheck harder, drive the puck in the offensive end. Work it hard in the offensive end. They are taught and encouraged to think offense first and then return on D as a 5 man unit. The only players that fit the "stay at home D" are players who can't skate fast enough to stay with the flow. Team speed and 5 man units is what hockey is today. Yes in a few years it will likely change but kid are going to play what NHL and team staff are telling them to do not what some fans think they should be doing. Sit back and enjoy the game and watch it evolve.
That is the concept in today's hockey. The issue is we get caught up ice with our pants down way to often with glorious scoring chances and odd man rushes coming back. It is one of the 2 our D are slow skaters getting back or the forwards do not know what covering the point means. Johnston tries often but then you got one of our best creative forwards back at the point. A lot of that coverage issues is on the coaching staff allowing it to continue without signs of improvement .

Reactions: member 71782

Oct 3, 2019
That is the concept in today's hockey. The issue is we get caught up ice with our pants down way to often with glorious scoring chances and odd man rushes coming back. It is one of the 2 our D are slow skaters getting back or the forwards do not know what covering the point means. Johnston tries often but then you got one of our best creative forwards back at the point. A lot of that coverage issues is on the coaching staff allowing it to continue without signs of improvement .

♂️

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes there are flaws but that is junior hockey.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Terrible. I don’t get it. I understand when something is not broke you don’t fix it, BUT, things are broken and this is a big issue.
The Spits are on the bottom ofthe PK stats. Peer is a good PK. If he is used for nothing but PK, he would be an improvement over the current PK. He is also a good energy guy on the 4th line.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Terrible. I don’t get it. I understand when something is not broke you don’t fix it, BUT, things are broken and this is a big issue.

Spits lead 2-0 after 7 and 1/2 minutes PP goal by Miedema, the other by Mattew Maggio. .
Maggio also assisted on the PP goal.

member 71782

I should rephrase it.

He's a goaltender capable of playing well but does lack cobsistency.

He's not in the elite group of goaltenders in the league.

Maybe calling him an average goaltender would be best, good games and bad games in similar numbers.

member 71782

How about this

There's some D in Windsor that have no clue about returning as part of a 5 man unit.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Maggio standout tonight. 2nd period other than the score Flint controlled it. Medina stronger period. Did anyone see what exactly happened to Zito? I was recovering a beverage and did not see the actual hit/fall/stick? I did notice that no-one from the Spits on the ice approached any player from Flint. DeAngelis and Ride made a couple key plays. Starting to look a little more comfortable.

Reactions: member 71782
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad