Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Welcome to the new and improved Spits thread, I hope!! Think there’s going to be lots of movement after the next few weeks when we see which OA’s are available.

Reactions: Leaves34 and OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Welcome to the new and improved Spits thread, I hope!! Think there’s going to be lots of movement after the next few weeks when we see which OA’s are available.

All for the team getting better.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I haven't seen it posted yet so I'll put it here...

The Spitfires announced ticket guidelines for pre-season games. The first game, Sept 19, is by "invite only" for families, billets, staff, alumni, etc. The other two pre-season games are general admission and STH are being offered one ticket per seat for one (1) of the games. Local and provincial restrictions only allow for 1,000 people at the game.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I haven't seen it posted yet so I'll put it here...

The Spitfires announced ticket guidelines for pre-season games. The first game, Sept 19, is by "invite only" for families, billets, staff, alumni, etc. The other two pre-season games are general admission and STH are being offered one ticket per seat for one (1) of the games. Local and provincial restrictions only allow for 1,000 people at the game.
I'd imagine there may be seat spacing coming soon. Sucks for STH sitting up in the end zone. I have to assume that there are not 1000 STH this season or they would need to have contacted the excess to work it out. Surprised somewhat but not unexpected with the pandemic. A lot of logistics to be hammered out.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can confirm that STH have to select which game they want to attend in the pre-season. I'm not sure HOW they are talking to the club, but that is involved. It leads me to believe that there are too many STH for the seat limits.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
That is very encouraging news there are likely over 1000 STH's Absolute nightmare for the Spitfire and arena staff. Hopefully every is patient and shows class when it is their turn to stay at home for a game. I'm sure the league thought we would hit stage 4 reopening by now until the 4th wave. The news from the school dismissals is not encouraging on that front.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That is very encouraging news there are likely over 1000 STH's Absolute nightmare for the Spitfire and arena staff. Hopefully every is patient and shows class when it is their turn to stay at home for a game. I'm sure the league thought we would hit stage 4 reopening by now until the 4th wave. The news from the school dismissals is not encouraging on that front.

Right now, live hockey is live hockey. You take what you can get. My hope is that, by the time the season rolls around, we're able to open it up to all STH (or at least 2,500 capacity). Part of that's on the residents, though.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Right now, live hockey is live hockey. You take what you can get. My hope is that, by the time the season rolls around, we're able to open it up to all STH (or at least 2,500 capacity). Part of that's on the residents, though.
You got that right. There should be a capacity percentage. Even 2500 is a capacity crowd at the smaller OHL rinks. Say 50% would be nice if we get to that stage before Christmas.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just an FYI (not trying to start anything) - OHL will require proof of full vaccination upon entry to any facility starting Sept 22. Per OHL site.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just noticed 3 forwards on Windsor 's
21-22 Preseason roster not listed before
#11- Nick Grenerio-LW(17) from La Salle played well at training camp
#17- Jackson McLlwain-C/RW(18)
Another guy who played well at times
throughout camp,good skater
#72- Ethan Martin-C/LW (16)
Struggled early at camp finished strong scoring a hat trick in the blue and white game
1st player listed is a free agent,McLlwain drafted in U18 draft 2020 and Martin drafted in 4th Rd in draft 2021
Player roster totals 27 players including JL Foudy.
Though including Foudy there are 9 players away at NHL camps-6F,3D
leaving roster with 3G,5D,10F
Perhaps a player or 2 added from La Salle for next 2 exhibition games.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Exhibition games steaming for free. I have not seen anything regarding regular season. Cogeco volunteers mainly not sure what the status is. With the crowd limits I'd imagine there will be something.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Furthur to what I wrote above
Earlier was of the understanding Jack Greenwell who was initially assigned to La Salle along with Tanner Winegard seems to have changed, Greenwell now with Komoka Kings of the same league 20 minutes from his home in London,doesn't appear on La Salle's roster,Winegard still does,in fact played in last night's loss to Chatham.
Ethan Martin currently on Stratford's preseason roster
in 4 games he has 3G1A,0Pim,kid can score,once he gets quicker will more of a threat, good hockey sense, plays center might be suited as a winger till he gets that speed,big kid too 6'5"-200
Jackson McLlwain, like Greenwell playing in Komoka in 4 games had 2G,0A,4Pim,like his speed,handy player
and Nicholas Grenerio has played just 1 game with La Salle pointless but has practiced with the Spits most of the last 2 weeks,will be a fill guy for now,mentioned earlier did catch my eye a bit at camp,was a good looking free agent,not like Peer but respectable.
Will be curious to see how these guys do next couple of games with both teams missing 9 guys to NHL teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just looked on both League and Spits website re Spits roster for pre season and
Ethan Martin 's name not on list.
Not sure what guys will be added by game time tonight as I only see 9F,5D and 3G available for tonight's game at Sarnia.
Only 5 players 1F,3D,1G have OHL experience going into tonight's matchup
They are McDonald, Ladd,Renwick,Jodoin and Medina.
Sarnia has a couple more,as both teams have many players away at NHL development/ training camps.
Though it's been 2 weeks ,
Sarnia has played 2 exhibition games both vs London,so with the exception of 3 or 4 their rookies have played a couple of games.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Just looked on both League and Spits website re Spits roster for pre season and
Ethan Martin 's name not on list.
Not sure what guys will be added by game time tonight as I only see 9F,5D and 3G available for tonight's game at Sarnia.
Only 5 players 1F,3D,1G have OHL experience going into tonight's matchup
They are McDonald, Ladd,Renwick,Jodoin and Medina.
Sarnia has a couple more,as both teams have many players away at NHL development/ training camps.
Though it's been 2 weeks ,
Sarnia has played 2 exhibition games both vs London,so with the exception of 3 or 4 their rookies have played a couple of games.

Why does Sarnia already played 2 games matter?
Every team plays the games based on schedule.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why does Sarnia already played 2 games matter?
Every team plays the games based on schedule.

It matters because rookies in particular haven't played a game before at this level and most teams are dressing a ton of rooks
I would say the same thing if the opposite were true and most of Windsor's rookies had played and the jitters are gone.
If you knew the game you wouldn't question it
Will it matter after a period or 2 probably not but it's there,schedule nothing to with it.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It matters because rookies in particular haven't played a game before at this level and most teams are dressing a ton of rooks
I would say the same thing if the opposite were true and most of Windsor's rookies had played and the jitters are gone.
If you knew the game you wouldn't question it
Will it matter after a period or 2 probably not but it's there,schedule nothing to with it.

Have to play the games based on schedule. Not excuses.
This should be a good year for Windsor. Lets start that way.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits have added 19 year old dman Spencer Lecot from LaSalle to their preseason roster
He was previously drafted by Flint a couple of years ago in U18 draft since has been released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad