Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It was a great season, they obviously didn't play well in game 7 and I think they ran out of gas. Anytime you make it to the game 7 of the championship a loss is difficult to accept but it was lots of fun this season.

We have a short offseason. Look on the bright side. Hamilton literally mortgaged their entire next 2-3 years on this season, the Spits return many players and will have a good team next year, lots to look forward to. If you are a Hamilton fan, you need to enjoy this now, because that Hamilton team will have trouble even making the playoffs the next two to three years considering they have traded their young talent and all of their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Also after watching that series, I am not convinced Johnston will be playing in Dallas quite yet. I'd say he has about a 30% chance of making the Stars. He wasn't nearly dominant as usual in this series when the time and space was greatly reduced. If guys like Marner were sent back for their 19-year-old season, then it's not unreasonable to think Johnston will be back in Windsor for another season.
He had to be extremely tired.
Coach played him all the time.

Okay, now that I'm home...

I'm disappointed but not at all upset. I came into this game expecting a loss. When you have a team like Hamilton, at home, with 11K fans, you either have to play the best game of the season... or you're done. Windsor kept themselves in it through the second but couldn't get past that suffocating D. Instead, the Bulldogs slowly built their lead, making the place louder and louder, until the Spits knew they were done. The third felt like the Spits had run out of gas and knew it. Some nights, you're just beaten by a better team and that was tonight.

Props to Hamilton for not only a great series but an outstanding season. Most had them winning in four or five, so for the Spits to take it to Game 7 is a testament to their ability. There's nothing for the Spitfires to feel bad about; that was a REALLY fun season and they exceeded expectations by a fair bit. I mean, even the most critical have to admit that this was a successful season. Are there issues to be worked on? Of course. Did the positives outweigh the negatives? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Yeah, I would have loved to have seen a win and cheered them on in Saint John, but it wasn't meant to be. Getting to G7 of the championship is incredible, though, and I don't think I've ever been that accepting of a series loss before.

Onto the next...
U dont go in expecting a loss.
What a thought process...

Oct 3, 2019
He had to be extremely tired.
Coach played him all the time.

U dont go in expecting a loss.
What a thought process...
I agree. Maybe the coach should of made the boys play like they did all season instead of sitting back. This is all in the coach period. This team should of won.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok so, disappointing to say the least for whatever reason they just werent ready to play and frankly never got into it at all. It happens. Kudos to the guys! Played well and got further than most anyone thought be happy for that!! The disappointment comes in knowing you are as good as that team but your the team going home. No sense laying blame or calling out players its over.
Ill say it, BB got them further with the team he put together than any of us thought, congrats for that. Fair bit of adversity along the way and they preserved thru it. It was a good ride and be proud of the accomplishments! The tough part of jr hockey is yes lessons learned come back stronger and smarter next year, but for some its the end of the road. Good luck to those graduating and moving on with life!!
Ill post my thoughts for personnel in the off season thread.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Agreed, BB made some really good moves this year. I actually don’t think he made a bad move.

Maillet was one of the Spitfires most important players in the playoffs.

Matt Onuska was a revaluation.

Alex Christopolus was a perfect winger to move up and down the lineup.

Alex Perrott was Windsor’s #1 Defender and logged big minutes throughout the playoffs.

Josh Currie scored some big goals.

Great year by BB and Windsor didn’t even go all in at the deadline.

Windsor should still be in contention next season.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Thoughts from an outsider (but not "the" Outsider):
I really believed the hockey gods were smiling down on the Spits and you were going to take game 7.
Not too long ago, we were talking about 4 or 5 legitimate contenders coming out of the West, and in the end, Windsor was the top team. The coaching staff impressed me because what I look for is a coach that can produce a well-oiled team and that's what you got out of the Spits. Good
team chemistry (both D and offence), good team speed. Top line one of the best in the O. Great improvements by the D throughout the year. Limited Hamilton's 5 on 5 scoring chances.
Strange season overall as the league was coming back from Covid. I remember when Hamilton acquired MacTavish, I was thinking to myself, great move but what if the season gets postponed again or full capacity not permitted... Risky to make a big trade. But as things turned out, no further interruptions. Turns out Bowler's little tweaks were not little at all. Fenwick, Currie, Costopolous (sp?) made a difference, not to mention the biggest fish, Perrott.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Attack fan here. OHLTG I agree with everything you posted. First off Congrats to the Spitfires you are an amazing team and should be extremely proud of what you accomplished that was one hell of a series. I just wish some fans wouldn't tarnish it by claiming Savard is an idiot has no idea what he is doing and the myriad of other stupid theories. Plain and simple you had the 2 best teams in the O going head to head and I guess we have to say the best team one even though the margin of difference was pretty slim. I wish everyone could be like OHLTG and enjoy what your team did and be PROUD.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Thoughts from an outsider (but not "the" Outsider):
I really believed the hockey gods were smiling down on the Spits and you were going to take game 7.
Not too long ago, we were talking about 4 or 5 legitimate contenders coming out of the West, and in the end, Windsor was the top team. The coaching staff impressed me because what I look for is a coach that can produce a well-oiled team and that's what you got out of the Spits. Good
team chemistry (both D and offence), good team speed. Top line one of the best in the O. Great improvements by the D throughout the year. Limited Hamilton's 5 on 5 scoring chances.
Strange season overall as the league was coming back from Covid. I remember when Hamilton acquired MacTavish, I was thinking to myself, great move but what if the season gets postponed again or full capacity not permitted... Risky to make a big trade. But as things turned out, no further interruptions. Turns out Bowler's little tweaks were not little at all. Fenwick, Currie, Costopolous (sp?) made a difference, not to mention the biggest fish, Perrott.
Another d man that clear the other team players away from front of net would of been nice. Bit Windsor in ass.

Reactions: Teflon

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I agree. Maybe the coach should of made the boys play like they did all season instead of sitting back. This is all in the coach period. This team should of won.
Based on what? Hamilton is better than Windsor in almost every single aspect on paper. How can you say the team who's worse in almost every single category should've won? Windsor overachieved to even take it to game 7. They're a good team. They're not a great team

Oct 3, 2019
Based on what? Hamilton is better than Windsor in almost every single aspect on paper. How can you say the team who's worse in almost every single category should've won? Windsor overachieved to even take it to game 7. They're a good team. They're not a great team

Aspect of what? You playing in the East?
We had the most GF in the league and our coach made us sit back? This series should of been over in 6 for Windsor. Our coach botched it in game 4.
Sorry Hamilton didn’t have the better team. It is what it is and congrats to Hamilton and I hope they win the Mem cup.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The strategy used by Windsor in game 4 worked great. It got them through until Hamilton pulled their goalie for the 6th attacker. A better argument is that the Hamilton coach botched game 1 and almost game 2. But in actuality, a series is a back and forth affair, both coaches making many adjustments throughout the series. Both coaches did a fine job. It was a great battle but there could be only one winner

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Alright, now that it’s the offseason.

What do we expect next season?

Who will be the Overagers? Maggio is a lock if he doesn’t turn pro after/if he’s drafted, Renwick should be a lock also - so that leaves one spot between Ribau, Currie and a goalie.

How will guys like Miedema and Abraham improve with bigger minutes next year? Windsor is going to need big improvements in production from these two in particular if they want to replace the lost production from Cuylle and possibly Johnston.

What will Savard do? There is genuine interest from Boston and Dallas for his services - will he be gone from Windsor next season? And if Savard does leave, who is there to replace him?

What do you do if Johnston turns pro a year early? I doubt anyone in the Spitfires organization expected the kind of year Johnston had this year. There will be opportunities to make Dallas next year, and if he does, what’s the plan?

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Alright, now that it’s the offseason.

What do we expect next season?

Who will be the Overagers? Maggio is a lock if he doesn’t turn pro after/if he’s drafted, Renwick should be a lock also - so that leaves one spot between Ribau, Currie and a goalie.

How will guys like Miedema and Abraham improve with bigger minutes next year? Windsor is going to need big improvements in production from these two in particular if they want to replace the lost production from Cuylle and possibly Johnston.

What will Savard do? There is genuine interest from Boston and Dallas for his services - will he be gone from Windsor next season? And if Savard does leave, who is there to replace him?

What do you do if Johnston turns pro a year early? I doubt anyone in the Spitfires organization expected the kind of year Johnston had this year. There will be opportunities to make Dallas next year, and if he does, what’s the plan?
I believe the league is still considering having a goalie not count as an OA. If that happens, they could keep Onuska, Maggio, Renwick and Ribau.

Miedema and Abraham had encouraging seasons considering they were rookies. I expect them to average about a point per game next season.

Regarding Johnston, I think there is about a 30% chance he stays in Dallas. He wasn't quite as dominant in the finals as I posted yesterday. It's actually quite rare for players not to return for their 19-year old season as I am sure you know. ie, Marner.

I assume they will draft a forward in the Import draft, hopefully Bowler can draft a player who is an NHL draft pick.

Hamilton isn't that much better than Windsor. The Spits had outscored Hamilton 23-19 heading into game 7.... Anytime a series goes 7 games, you can't say one team was that much better.

Hamilton was the definition of 'all-in' or 'mortgaging the future' this year while the Spits weren't. Hamilton has one of the emptiest draft cupboards I have ever seen, they have also traded away their first-round pick rookie in two straight years. Will probably struggle to make the playoffs the next few years. I mean it's worth it if you win. I remember in 2017 after the Spits won thinking, man the next few years are going to suck, and they did lol.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I believe the league is still considering having a goalie not count as an OA. If that happens, they could keep Onuska, Maggio, Renwick and Ribau.

Miedema and Abraham had encouraging seasons considering they were rookies. I expect them to average about a point per game next season.

Regarding Johnston, I think there is about a 30% chance he stays in Dallas. He wasn't quite as dominant in the finals as I posted yesterday. It's actually quite rare for players not to return for their 19-year old season as I am sure you know. ie, Marner.

I assume they will draft a forward in the Import draft, hopefully Bowler can draft a player who is an NHL draft pick.
I believe someone shut that rumor down.

You can't bet on something like that no matter how much sense it makes so you should go about business as usual until told otherwise.

Johnston will at minimum get the 9 game trial in the NHL. There will be an opprotunity for him to play top-9 minutes there next season I believe. He will be given every opprotunity to make the team. It's up to Johnston on if he wants it or not. Then if Savard gets hired in Dallas - Don't see any reason Johnston would return - Savard loves his Wyatt Johnston.

Windsor will have a rather late import pick, so they're going to need to do a very good job making side deals if they want to bring over a good import - especially since Russians and Belarusians are not eligible to be drafted so that thins the already weak international pool of players that want to play in the CHL.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
I believe someone shut that rumor down.

You can't bet on something like that no matter how much sense it makes so you should go about business as usual until told otherwise.

Johnston will at minimum get the 9 game trial in the NHL. There will be an opprotunity for him to play top-9 minutes there next season I believe. He will be given every opprotunity to make the team. It's up to Johnston on if he wants it or not. Then if Savard gets hired in Dallas - Don't see any reason Johnston would return - Savard loves his Wyatt Johnston.

Windsor will have a rather late import pick, so they're going to need to do a very good job making side deals if they want to bring over a good import - especially since Russians and Belarusians are not eligible to be drafted so that thins the already weak international pool of players that want to play in the CHL.
Ah I didn't realize the OA rumour was ruled out. I believe he'll get the 9 game trial but I personally don't think he'll stay. It's all about getting to the next level so I am cheering him on to stay but it's quite the jump. Also, have to consider the whole contract factor. Will Dallas want to use a year on his contract so early considering they are going to have to pay Robertson and Hintz big money? Dallas also has the WHL scoring leader and the Quebec league point per game leader who are also top prospects.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hamilton was the definition of 'all-in' or 'mortgaging the future' this year while the Spits weren't. Hamilton has one of the emptiest draft cupboards I have ever seen, they have also traded away their first-round pick rookie in two straight years. Will probably struggle to make the playoffs the next few years. I mean it's worth it if you win. I remember in 2017 after the Spits won thinking, man the next few years are going to suck, and they did lol.
Many teams have actually been much worse off for draft capital after going all in than this year's edition of Hamilton. The recent change of only allowing picks 4 years out to be traded pretty much ensured that. In the past you had teams that were missing 6+ 2nds, plus multiple 3rds. Also, factor in the high end players that are likely returning for Hamilton next season that can be used to restock the cupboards. Sure, they won't be competing for a championship for the next couple of years during their rebuild, but they will likely be good again shortly after that.

For a real world example of a rebuild, after Hamilton's last OHL championship in 17/18, their cupboards were worse off than now. But then the following season they moved Hanley (OA), Mattinen (OA), Saigeon (OA), and Entwhistle for a combined 6 x 2nd, 6 x 3rd, 1 x 4th.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Many teams have actually been much worse off for draft capital after going all in than this year's edition of Hamilton. The recent change of only allowing picks 4 years out to be traded pretty much ensured that. In the past you had teams that were missing 6+ 2nds, plus multiple 3rds. Also, factor in the high end players that are likely returning for Hamilton next season that can be used to restock the cupboards. Sure, they won't be competing for a championship for the next couple of years during their rebuild, but they will likely be good again shortly after that.

For a real world example of a rebuild, after Hamilton's last OHL championship in 17/18, their cupboards were worse off than now. But then the following season they moved Hanley (OA), Mattinen (OA), Saigeon (OA), and Entwhistle for a combined 6 x 2nd, 6 x 3rd, 1 x 4th.
Fair enough but as I said they have traded their 1st round pick in two straight years. They already didn't have a 2nd round pick in this year's draft. Not a lot of high end young talent on the team. Hayes and Morrison would be OA's, good chance neither returns.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Fair enough but as I said they have traded their 1st round pick in two straight years. They already didn't have a 2nd round pick in this year's draft. Not a lot of high end young talent on the team. Hayes and Morrison would be OA's, good chance neither returns.
Pharand (for McTavish) was the only first round pick Hamilton traded for this run. The first round picks before him was Donovan, and prior was Winterton and Morrison - all part of the team. Prior to Pharand, the last 1st round pick Hamilton traded was Connor McMichael (for Robert Thomas).

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Regarding Savard and this team, I'll say this - I've never seen a team play for each other and their coach like this one. I really hope he's back next season and sticks around for a few more to go for another title. People can hate the coach, hate certain players, or bah-humbug their way into the summer if that's what they really want, but... think about this... we just went to Game 7 of the OHL championship after 11-straight seasons of not making the first round. That's pretty freakin' cool! Nobody on here predicted it in October and, if anyone HAD said it, they'd have been laughed at into oblivion. Well, we're here... so, dammit, I'm going to enjoy it.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018

I’m laughing at the fact Hamilton got lucky huge… 2 seasons ago before covid their impact players pre deadline (this season) were no bodies drafted in the later rounds.. there was a reason no one had them at the top of the league this season and rightly so.

Look at this nonsense;

Hayes 6th round #118 OVR
Diaco 6th round #101 OVR
Humphrey 8th round #150 OVR
White - passed over in draft year

Why not trade all your 2nds when you can just get lucky in rounds 6-8? When does a 6th rounder even make the team?

It’s kind of like the soo taking Timmins, howdehsell and hollowell in rounds 6 11 and 14? Lol

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Devin, maybe the problem isn't that the Soo and Hamilton get lucky in later rounds. Maybe the problem is that most of the rest of the league mails in their picks from rounds 6-15. Drafting well is exactly the reason we are talking about Hamilton today, only a short 4 years after we were the last time.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I’m laughing at the fact Hamilton got lucky huge… 2 seasons ago before covid their impact players pre deadline (this season) were no bodies drafted in the later rounds.. there was a reason no one had them at the top of the league this season and rightly so.

Look at this nonsense;

Hayes 6th round #118 OVR
Diaco 6th round #101 OVR
Humphrey 8th round #150 OVR
White - passed over in draft year

Why not trade all your 2nds when you can just get lucky in rounds 6-8? When does a 6th rounder even make the team?

It’s kind of like the soo taking Timmins, howdehsell and hollowell in rounds 6 11 and 14? Lol

I'm used to your dumb comments, but this one is on another level.

Devin, maybe the problem isn't that the Soo and Hamilton get lucky in later rounds. Maybe the problem is that most of the rest of the league mails in their picks from rounds 6-15. Drafting well is exactly the reason we are talking about Hamilton today, only a short 4 years after we were the last time.

Or maybe they do a good job of developing those players. To call it sheer luck is just dumb.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Pharand (for McTavish) was the only first round pick Hamilton traded for this run. The first round picks before him was Donovan, and prior was Winterton and Morrison - all part of the team. Prior to Pharand, the last 1st round pick Hamilton traded was Connor McMichael (for Robert Thomas).
My bad, I thought Melee was their first-round pick two years ago but it was Donovan. Melee, who was their 21st overall pick was traded. Still they traded their 2020 2nd, had no 2nd this year, and only 1 in the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad