Windsor Spitfires 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
So far the "terrible defence" has been pretty good wouldn't you critics say?
Well they are playing an 8th place team and things tighten up in the playoffs. Until they shutdown a good offensive team my opinion is still the defense isn’t as good as you feel it is. Just because the coaches poll say windsor has 1 really good defensive defense it doesn’t make the whole unit great.

Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor won another tough game.
This will benefit Windsor longer they stay in playoffs.
Sting very aggressive again.
Onuska played very well.
Gaudreau did also.
Windsor pp not good again.
Top line somewhat struggled again.
Bigger crowd for sure.
Music very loud .

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Not much to complain about, the Spits have outscored Sarnia 7-1. They have outshot Sarnia 71-35. It's not even close. I do give Sarnia credit for their work ethic and improved penalty kill. Look for the Spits to make a few changes to the PP breakout for game 3. Great atmosphere in the WFCU last night.

The Spits looked better offensively last night, posting 45 shots and Gaudreau was phenomenal. The defense has been great and we still have people complaining. Hamilton has allowed two goals in their 1 playoff game, are they in trouble? LOL.

member 71782

The defensive group as a whole is playing better, without question.

The team as a whole is playing a better defensive game overall.

There's a couple of pretty obvious issues/players that can still come back to bite them in the ass.

Our least defensively capable Dman has been floundering around the offensive zone blue line as well as the neutral zone trying hard not to make any mistakes that'll cost this team. He deserves credit for the effort and for not being the first player headed up ice when the play has still been deep in Windsor's zone. He struggles with the defensive side of the game but in all seriousness he does deserve credit for the attempt and he can only improve.

Our normally least defensive minded forward has also been trying. He's been fairly responsible in the offensive and neutral zones trying to pick up someone when Sarnia has had the puck. He's struggled in the defensive zone trying to keep the puck moving to a team mate when under pressure but he's had a few close calls with almost turning the puck over at very inopportune times. Like the Dman above and again in all seriousness he deserves full credit for the effort and it will hopefully come a bit more.

Better defensive play will usually lead to a bit less offense as Teflon was saying. When a team hasn't played great defensively much of the season but come playoffs they start, rather successfully something will suffer at first.

Sarnia is also playing very well defensively which will also affect Windsor's offensive game. Last night we saw both teams improve their offensive play without sacrificing their defensive play.

That is an improvement and the goal in this series should be figuring out that balance on both sides of the puck.

I have no real complaints about their game right now considering there's been a major change in how they're approaching things. Had they done this much earlier in the season they may have scored a few less goals while also giving up much fewer.

Keep going in the right direction.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not much to complain about, the Spits have outscored Sarnia 7-1. They have outshot Sarnia 71-35. It's not even close. I do give Sarnia credit for their work ethic and improved penalty kill. Look for the Spits to make a few changes to the PP breakout for game 3. Great atmosphere in the WFCU last night.

The Spits looked better offensively last night, posting 45 shots and Gaudreau was phenomenal. The defense has been great and we still have people complaining. Hamilton has allowed two goals in their 1 playoff game, are they in trouble? LOL.
Stats???

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
These two games are where the series could really turn, in either direction. Sarnia's been really tough offensively at home and they've won the last two there against the Spitfires.

Worth noting: should be a good crowd there on Thurs.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

member 71782

These two games are where the series could really turn, in either direction. Sarnia's been really tough offensively at home and they've won the last two there against the Spitfires.

Worth noting: should be a good crowd there on Thurs.
If Windsor continues their improved defensive play and starts improving their transition to offense and clearing the D zone a bit cleaner they have a good chance to put up another solid W.

If Sarnia continues to be frustrated on the offensive side of the puck and Gaudreau falters at all the game could get ugly for them.

Windsor, even though they've won the first two games by three in each Sarnia's D game and Gaudreau's stellar play are the only reasons why Windsor's offense has struggled. If one of those breaks down for any extended time Windsor likely gets the offense going the way it was during the season.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My curiosity is from the fact that Sarnia's been an offensive beast at home lately. Something like 30+ goals in their last 6 games. Mind you, they weren't playing great teams but that confidence still exists.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Sarina needs this win tonight. They are hanging on by a thread. If they come out nervous and Windsor jumps on them then it will be tough for them to get back on track and it will be over quickly. If Sarina gets a lead and confidence builds it will require stellar play for the Spits to win. My gut feeling is Windsor wins.

Have to listen to the game on the radio so looking for some good post game comments from those that are watching tonight. Go Spits Go!!!

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

My curiosity is from the fact that Sarnia's been an offensive beast at home lately. Something like 30+ goals in their last 6 games. Mind you, they weren't playing great teams but that confidence still exists.
I can see the confidence from that as well as knowing they handled Windsor fairly well this year. They know they can score on them and beyond the first game Windsor can score as well on Gaudreau. I think Sarnia is trying its best to shut down Windsor's offense and capitalize on the few chances they'll generate playing a D focused style. They can tty to open things up and hope they can match Windsor goal for goal but missing their top scorer doesn't bode well. Their best chance is to keep doing what they have been and hope Windsor continues to struggle offensively.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
if im coaching Sarnia i dont think theres a choice, you gotta get after it offensively. 1 goal over 2 games is brutal. If they open up i hope Spits are ready to jump on it and can switch over quick. Gaudreau the only reason its been close but hoping for a let down is likely a pipe dream.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Assume Sobolev injured or sick since defensively he is one of our best. Maybe someone could elaborate if they know why and how long he's out. It will hurt for sure. Hands down best body checker in the league with legal hits.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad