Windsor Spitfires 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think most of us figured Windsor would take it in four or five, so Sarnia winning at home isn't surprising. Grab a win on Thurs and then take the series at home on Saturday.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
They missed Sobolev, I would argue he is the best defensive d-man on the team.

This sort of reminds me of the Canadiens vs. Leafs series last year. Leafs were clearly the better team and led the series 3-1, but all of a sudden their PP couldn't deliver and Montreal was cashing in on their power plays. Montreal was outshot every game but had better goaltending than the Leafs, similar to Sarnia with Gaudreau, and the Habs won that series. This series could come down to special teams as that one did.

5 on 5 Sarnia only has 1 goal in this series. But playoff series' are won with strong goaltending and special teams. Sarnia has the better goaltending so the Spits need to win the special teams battle or it could all be over soon. So far, Sarnia is somehow winning the special teams battle which is unacceptable.

Reactions: KyGuy9

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Article in Windsor Star tonight has the coaches basically saying everyone screwed up but it's just one game. They took bad penalties and need to get their big line going. Stay out of the box on Thurs, figure out how to beat Gaudreau, and get the job done.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
They missed Sobolev, I would argue he is the best defensive d-man on the team.

This sort of reminds me of the Canadiens vs. Leafs series last year. Leafs were clearly the better team and led the series 3-1, but all of a sudden their PP couldn't deliver and Montreal was cashing in on their power plays. Montreal was outshot every game but had better goaltending than the Leafs, similar to Sarnia with Gaudreau, and the Habs won that series. This series could come down to special teams as that one did.

5 on 5 Sarnia only has 1 goal in this series. But playoff series' are won with strong goaltending and special teams. Sarnia has the better goaltending so the Spits need to win the special teams battle or it could all be over soon. So far, Sarnia is somehow winning the special teams battle which is unacceptable.

As a fan of both teams it's funny how many similarities they share. Streak of not getting past the 1st round, having the best player in the league on their team, playing down to their opponents and having the bottom feeder teams give them fits, now this... hope this is the year both break through but no matchup is a comfortable thing until they pull it off

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sarnia is a team that few expect to do anything with a top tier goaltender who has played Windsor pretty even all year.

Windsor is a team that is learning how to play team defense and take individual responsibility defensively, at the cost of their high powered offense and has struggled with adversity much of the year.

Windsor arrived in Sarnia expecting to win after a couple of good defensive showings while Sarnia showed up at home willing to put in the work, doing all they can to fight for a win.

Plain and simple

On the ice Windsor is struggling when Sarnia is putting pressure on them while Sarnia is learning to believe in themselves and starting to get results.

Show up, do the work, put in the effort combined with the talent and there's nothing Windsor can't accomplish. Just ask Sarnia.

Go back to Onuska, he didn't cost them the game.

The PP has been the same all year, it's way too predictable.

The team needs to realize they have to play both sides of the puck, not just one or like tonight, neither much of the night.

60 minute effort plus talent will win games, not simply talent alone.

Our worst D has been our worst D. The first two games there was effort even if the defensive play was pretty sketchy. Tonight there was very little effort and a lot of poor play period.

It's one loss in a game Sarnia had to win. How Windsor responds Thursday is all that matters right now.

Kudos to Maggio for somehow coming back in what appeared to be an extremely unlikely and very painful situation.

Get things back on track Thursday.

Won't disagree unfortunately through 3 games we have had approximately 60 minutes of PPs combined. For a team that are overwhelming favorites there hasn't been enough 5 on 5 hockey for the Spits to really put Sarnia in a bind. They have had plenty of PPs to put Sarnia in a bad situation but they haven't paid that off either. They have plenty to win the series but if the top 6 forwards aren't clearly outplaying/dominating the Sarnia top 6 then this is what you will end up with especially with the PP opportunities Windsor has had. I am not surprised they lost a game in this series I am a bit surprised and disappointed in the way they lost this game though. I figured they would lose a game where Gaudreau stole a game and stood on his head. Hopefully that doesn't come up on the bingo card.

I see Teflon mentioned that there shouldn't be panic and I agree but the idea of playing Medina in game 4 would be a panic move imo. They didn't lose this game because of Onuska if you win as a team and lose as a team you go back to Onuska. You go to Medina he better be the man the rest of the playoffs however long it is because it can become a slippery slope.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't see Medina starting unless Onuska really does something bad on Thurs. He's been your rock so far and we all know it was the PP/PK's issue tonight.

Oct 3, 2019
What in the world has happened to the Spits power play? One of the best in the O all season, connected on 60% of their PP's against Sarnia in the regular season and they can't do anything on the PP in this series? You're not gonna win many playoff games with a non-existent power play. (1 for 17 in this series)

On top of it all, the penalty kill is now all of a sudden a complete joke. This series could get ugly if they don't wake up on special teams. Also, need a lot more from the first line.
Coach changed it.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
4 Powerplay Goals and an Empty Netter tells the story.

PK struggled, PP continues to struggle.

Sobolev out hurts a lot.

Sarnia played a good game, but the physicality cooled off. Hutchinson on the ice would have me backing off. Lots of justifiable calls tonight, but still a lot was called tonight, both ways, and that controlled the pacing. That’s no excuse for Windsor failing, just an observation. Seemed like Windsor was playing it like they had the series won, similar to the last games of the regular season. Avoid extra physicality and just get through the 60 minutes. Maybe Bus Legs is an excuse, but a weak one after a 90 minute drive.

Tonight they were just the Spits, as the fire was missing.

I don’t have doubts though. Gaudreau Is incredible, but I still think we have this series as long as we go back to our game. Oddly enough Peer, Jodoin and Abraham were the guys I was watching thinking “these guys want this”. Aside from that, pretty lackluster on the front end.

I feel like a game like tonight happens after a couple 7-2 games not after a couple 2/3 goal games…

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
As a fan of both teams it's funny how many similarities they share. Streak of not getting past the 1st round, having the best player in the league on their team, playing down to their opponents and having the bottom feeder teams give them fits, now this... hope this is the year both break through but no matchup is a comfortable thing until they pull it off
I think I speak for all Sting fans when saying we would trade organizational success in a fricken heartbeat even with the decade without a series win haha. I was genuinely shocked though to read you guys haven't won a series in that long. I thought Flint was gonna be a real issue for u guys but if they get upset by Owen Sound which is a real possibility I think y'all got the west fairly comfortably.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think I speak for all Sting fans when saying we would trade organizational success in a fricken heartbeat even with the decade without a series win haha. I was genuinely shocked though to read you guys haven't won a series in that long. I thought Flint was gonna be a real issue for u guys but if they get upset by Owen Sound which is a real possibility I think y'all got the west fairly comfortably.

Owen Sound is going to be a serious challenge. They play the Spitfires really well. That said, let's get through the next few days, first, haha.

Reactions: KyGuy9

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Owen Sound is going to be a serious challenge. They play the Spitfires really well. That said, let's get through the next few days, first, haha.
Any team thats physical plays Windsor tough. They just dont like it.

Reactions: 2023

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Didn't watch but listened to some on the radio. You could tell intensity wasn't there. All I heard was player A had a chance but the puck slipped off his stick or he fanned on the shot or just couldn't put it away. That's a team that was just going through the motions. Now the pressure is on Windsor to win and Sarnia has hope. Never give the other team hope as it often does not end well.

Across the league teams are loaded with rookies that have never seen the intensity with playoff hockey at this level. It showed with the Spits last night ( as well as other top teams) and they have to understand what it takes to win. If they can't figure it out it will end poorly but I believe they will. It is only one game and as a coach you need those types of games as a coaching motivation to get the kids to understand. They will figure it out.

Spits are soft? Really?? Spits D are some of the most physical in the west. Many opposing players have skating away leaning over from a crunch hit from Sobolev, Ribau, Renwick, Perrott etc. I know i'm not interested in carrying a puck into the Spits end! Spits front end is less physical but they are not shy from going into the corners and battling for a puck. Sounds like the Spits did not play as physical last night but this is far from a team that can be called a non-physical team!

What is needed from the Spits is some tweaks to the special teams and the top lines upping their game.

Let me help the coachs. Gaudreau is over committing on the PK and his anticipation level is over extended. Team needs to set up the one timer, not take the shot and them slap pass it back for a ready and waiting open cage. Mix this with plain old shots into a crowd and then scramble for the puck. Where's Purboo when you need him. Cuylle needs to be right in front of the net, not off to the side. Net presences is how you beat top goalies not finesse plays.

Go Spits Go!!!

Reactions: Travis Bickle 77

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I agree with much thats said. Forwards need to be willing to get into that hard to play area, not sure if they dont like to or thats not the plan. Whatever it is it needs to change. I wouldnt call this team soft, i believe coach has them playing to skills, which can look like Soft but its not the case here. Certainly not tough as the old days but thats todays game. I predict X starts because i think theyve chose to rotate after an off game. Loss not on O but he coulda been better. Still think windsor wins this series but it only gets tougher, they need to be more flexible with how each team will attack. This is coaching 101 lets see how these coaches react!

Oct 3, 2019
I agree with much thats said. Forwards need to be willing to get into that hard to play area, not sure if they dont like to or thats not the plan. Whatever it is it needs to change. I wouldnt call this team soft, i believe coach has them playing to skills, which can look like Soft but its not the case here. Certainly not tough as the old days but thats todays game. I predict X starts because i think theyve chose to rotate after an off game. Loss not on O but he coulda been better. Still think windsor wins this series but it only gets tougher, they need to be more flexible with how each team will attack. This is coaching 101 lets see how these coaches react!
And like I said the coach is an idiot. They scored 4x on th pp and they didn’t make any changes. I think Cuylle and Johnston were on for all of them.
Changed pp from what was working during regular season and it’s not working now. This coach can’t
Coach if his life depended on it. Coach is just an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad