Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Downie was a perfect mix of heart, soul, and "WTF??" He loved the game and, sometimes, that led to weird decisions. That being said, without that entire incident, I don't know that the Spitfires are still in town.

How did that incident keep the team in town?

Boughner and company stepping in to buy the team probably kept them in town after that incident but one way or another the team was going to be sold and if no one willing to keep them would have stepped up than after that incident a sale that involved moving the team would have been approved.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Boughner and company stepping in to buy the team probably kept them in town after that incident but one way or another the team was going to be sold and if no one willing to keep them would have stepped up than after that incident a sale that involved moving the team would have been approved.

If you recall Boughner/Rychel were at a lot of Spitfire games back in 2004 during the lockout and that's what got the wheels moving. The Downie incident happened in Sept/Oct of 2005.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Agreed

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It was likely to be sold at some point, but this sped up the process and there's no guarantee that Riolo sells in-town.

How do u know?
Were u there in the room or on the phone call when they were selling the team?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Downie was a perfect mix of heart, soul, and "WTF??" He loved the game and, sometimes, that led to weird decisions. That being said, without that entire incident, I don't know that the Spitfires are still in town.

Really? I don't even wanna comment on the absurdity of this thought that Downie saved the Spits staying in Windsor by his actions re. the Aliu incident but I will :)
Those dots cant be connected. Cmon now.

Where would they have gone?
Were there potential buyers willing to relocate?
Did they have an approved location?
Would tbe OHL have allowed that?

So you are saying the bullying/degrading/physical n emotional harassment of a player (and players) saved the team from moving. Cmon media guy, be better than that. I get you love that type player but really?
Look into the whole story n leave the fan bias outta it.

As an aside, I was at an arena where i saw Downie turtle when challenged on a couple occassions and just giggled knowing his so called tough guy history. history

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Really? I don't even wanna comment on the absurdity of this thought that Downie saved the Spits staying in Windsor by his actions re. the Aliu incident but I will :)
Those dots cant be connected. Cmon now.

At the time, I remember two things... Riolo not wanting to sell (and being firm on that), plus talk about the team leaving Windsor because of a lack of a new arena. I believe Buffalo was mentioned and I want to say Cornwall, too. Specific details were harder to come by back then. It really felt like if he sold, the team was gone. The new arena talk was very "here we go again", renovations had recently happened and they weren't going down that path again, and it was a very stale topic. Then everything hit the fan and, within months, there were local buyers. From there, it was only a short time before it all happened. Would it have been better if the sale happened without the incident? Of course, 100%. Harassment/bullying has no place in the game, or even in life. Do I feel that it was all intertwined? It felt like it and I know others have wondered the same thing. It could have all been a total coincidence and the sale was talked about/on target for after everything happened, regardless.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
still in season form, another typical response, why bother??

I will say this there seems to be a lot of revisionist history about things and the Spits being moved or sold etc.. Riolo had numerous offers to sell the team at that point and he didn't sell. He sold to Rychel and Boughner due in large part to Downie/Aliu but as well those guys were local. If you want to mention Cornwall/Buffalo or any other locale why haven't those cities gotten teams?? This stuff happened 15+ years ago if Cornwall or Buffalo was in play 15 years ago it would have happened by now. We have had a team be relocated to Flint/Hamilton/North Bay since then. The OHL is open for business if those places were in play.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just because neither city had a team 15-years ago doesn't mean they won't get one at some point. Cornwall has hosted two OHL exhibition games and, from what I've read, it could be an option. Buffalo did host the WJC and the OHL pre-season tournament. They're testing out the waters if nothing else.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
At the time, I remember two things... Riolo not wanting to sell (and being firm on that), plus talk about the team leaving Windsor because of a lack of a new arena. I believe Buffalo was mentioned and I want to say Cornwall, too. Specific details were harder to come by back then. It really felt like if he sold, the team was gone. The new arena talk was very "here we go again", renovations had recently happened and they weren't going down that path again, and it was a very stale topic. Then everything hit the fan and, within months, there were local buyers. From there, it was only a short time before it all happened. Would it have been better if the sale happened without the incident? Of course, 100%. Harassment/bullying has no place in the game, or even in life. Do I feel that it was all intertwined? It felt like it and I know others have wondered the same thing. It could have all been a total coincidence and the sale was talked about/on target for after everything happened, regardless.

All coincidences.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I will say this there seems to be a lot of revisionist history about things and the Spits being moved or sold etc.. Riolo had numerous offers to sell the team at that point and he didn't sell. He sold to Rychel and Boughner due in large part to Downie/Aliu but as well those guys were local. If you want to mention Cornwall/Buffalo or any other locale why haven't those cities gotten teams?? This stuff happened 15+ years ago if Cornwall or Buffalo was in play 15 years ago it would have happened by now. We have had a team be relocated to Flint/Hamilton/North Bay since then. The OHL is open for business if those places were in play.
I remember hearing Buffalo being mentioned as well, not sure why they don't have an OHL team now. I'm pretty sure OHLTG isn't hallucinating this, the OHL was big on trying to expand to american markets back then having moved to Erie and Saginaw from Ontario locations a few years prior. I think it had something to do with ensuring the OHL keeping the drafting rights in those states. If I recall Branch's concern at the time was that the Q would add a New York state based franchise giving them the CHL drafting rights to players from that state, cutting the OHL out. It was something like that, but I'm sure some nerd with a better memory or google skills will correct me.

You are right Rayzor, Riolo had offers to sell but they involved moving the team and he wouldn't consider them. This is why I don't pile on Riolo they way some others might, he was flawed as an owner but he ensured we kept the team here. He was a nice guy too, always shaking hands and talking with the fans at games.

Reactions: OHL 17

member 71782

If you recall Boughner/Rychel were at a lot of Spitfire games back in 2004 during the lockout and that's what got the wheels moving. The Downie incident happened in Sept/Oct of 2005.

Yes it was believed they were exploring the purchase before this happened. My only point was after this incident Riolo was going to be forced to sell regardless of who the potential purchaser would be and what their intentions in terms of relocation would be.

It was likely to be sold at some point, but this sped up the process and there's no guarantee that Riolo sells in-town.

As I've said, this incident was going to force Riolo's hand, he would have to sell.

Fortunately there were local interests to buy the team who wanted to keep it in Windsor. This incident had nothing to do with the team remaining in Windsor, the intentions of the purchasers did.

Do you think an out of town buyer would have said we need to keep the team in Windsor because of the scandal surrounding this incident?

Probably not which means the inceident didn't keep the team here, the new owners, Boughner and Rychel did.

The league, through the approval of any sale could have forced Riolo to sell to a group that would have moved the team, completely rebranded it with a name change just to move on and try to bury as much of this fiasco as possible. Had it not been a sale to a couple of local NHLers that brought the chance to create another high end program along the line of the Knights my guess is this team would not be in Windsor because of this incident.

Yes, the incident probably forced or sped up the sale but who bought it kept it here not simply that the team was sold. Any other buyer who didn't have the name recognition and NHL ties would have likely meant any sale approved would have involved moving the team because of the incident.

And yes, the league would veto the sale of any team if they thought it would have a negative impact on both the franchise and/or the league. It's happened twice with Windsor, last season and many years ago before it was sold the first time to McHale.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
So... with Kurtis Foster being fired by Kingston, and Windsor needing an improvement behind the bench, could he be an option for the Spits? That is, assuming the ownership group is willing to eat the remaining year of Letowski's contract.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So... with Kurtis Foster being fired by Kingston, and Windsor needing an improvement behind the bench, could he be an option for the Spits? That is, assuming the ownership group is willing to eat the remaining year of Letowski's contract.

Will it be an improvement??
Windsor cant go backwards

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Will it be an improvement??
Windsor cant go backwards
Don't know. That's why I asked. He didn't have much talent to work with when he got to Kingston. This year with a little more talent he seemed to make strides. You're right though Windsor's next coach needs to be better

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Don't know. That's why I asked. He didn't have much talent to work with when he got to Kingston. This year with a little more talent he seemed to make strides. You're right though Windsor's next coach needs to be better

The whole coaching staff needs to be better in all areas of the game.

Reactions: OHL 17

member 71782

I think at this stage Windsor needs someone a bit more experienced and with a winning track record behind the bench.

He's got two years as a HC and two years as an assistant. The last two years as HC was on a rebuilding Kingston team that would have made the playoffs this year. Beyond Wright he hasn't much high end talent to work with.

If Windsor was starting a rebuild or taking a step back this year looking at two years out he might be worth looking into but provided there's no surprises Windsor needs a more proven coach who has been tested with high end young talent that should be taking a step forward.

I don't think he'd be the best fit right now unless Windsor is changing directions and looking more to the future.

Reactions: OHLTG

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I think at this stage Windsor needs someone a bit more experienced and with a winning track record behind the bench.

He's got two years as a HC and two years as an assistant. The last two years as HC was on a rebuilding Kingston team that would have made the playoffs this year. Beyond Wright he hasn't much high end talent to work with.

If Windsor was starting a rebuild or taking a step back this year looking at two years out he might be worth looking into but provided there's no surprises Windsor needs a more proven coach who has been tested with high end young talent that should be taking a step forward.

I don't think he'd be the best fit right now unless Windsor is changing directions and looking more to the future.
Fair enough

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
What this team needs is a guy with a track record of making players better! Getting them to the next level. Hey Knight boy! You say stop letting the fan in him speak yet you sit back and do just that!! Typical! I wonder if a Spits fan goes to your page and chirps the knights?!?! Yes Cornwall and Buffalo both were on the radar at that time. Both have been at times over the last few decades. Riolo knew he had to sell and he did the right thing by selling to those guys.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
What this team needs is a guy with a track record of making players better! Getting them to the next level. Hey Knight boy! You say stop letting the fan in him speak yet you sit back and do just that!! Typical! I wonder if a Spits fan goes to your page and chirps the knights?!?! Yes Cornwall and Buffalo both were on the radar at that time. Both have been at times over the last few decades. Riolo knew he had to sell and he did the right thing by selling to those guys.

Knight Boy. Nice lol.
So do you think Downie's incident kept the team in Windsor? If so why?
I like Cfaubs explanation of why it didn't as opposed to OHLTGs comment it did.
Care to discuss?

Downie didn't save the franchise for Windsor. Just soiled its and his reputation. JMO.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I have no problem with a Spits fan coming to the Knights board to comment. No biggie. You or any1 else is more than welcome.
Heck if they responded to a knights fans comment as silly as OHLTGs - Downie's harassment of teammates kept the team in the city- Id back up the Spits fans comment ;)

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

There look to be 4 teams in the market for coaches right now Kingston/Kitchener/Hamilton/Barrie. Sadly I think the best chance for a new coach is to either have new owners or just have his contract run out and not renewed. Bowler said after the deadline he thought they could really compete for 1st place in the division well that never came to fruition. A price should be paid for lack of results.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

That's actually happened numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad