Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I don't think that the new parking lot will make it worse to leave the games. There will still be three exits onto McHugh.... two at lights along with a new exit onto Lauzon... which people have been wanting for years
The problem i see is the new exits begin 1 lane each direction unlike the one that’s being removed that i believe had 2 lanes that you could use to turn left at. If there is only 1 lane to go left i can see it backing up thru the residential area and make it impossible to get to the 2nd road to McHugh. I don’t know what it is like leaving now as we usually stay 15-20 after game and let it clear out before leaving. I can also see the complaints coming in as on game days people will be taking up the parking in residential areas. Another issue is the parking that is being taken away. What will the team do when the are expecting close to a sell out and don’t have the overflow lot they have used in the past? Those are just some things i can see happening. Just be nice if they could find away to get to tecumseh road like other have suggested

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Looking at that pic, the northbound exit onto McHugh will be gone and replaced by the exit onto Lauzon leaving only two exits still.

It was all owned by the developer. Windsor obtained the arena portion in a land swap. Whether that's the only choice the developer offered or that's the piece the city wanted I don't know. My guess is that's what the developer offered which was the worse half of the property for the intended use.
I think the 2nd exit to Mchugh will be at the lights at Darfield rd.

member 71782

I think the 2nd exit to Mchugh will be at the lights at Darfield rd.

Yes but being a trip down a second residential street I don't think it's planned as an exit. Sure some will use it that way and that's where the problems will start along with as you mentioned in other posts, people parking on those streets.

The road to Lauzon and the eastside exit to McHugh I believe are the "planned" exit routes. As you said in other posts though heading towards Lauzon or cutting northbound to the McHugh/Darfield light will create a choke point.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I wonder if they'll close off access between the residential and arena, essentially making them two separate entities? That prevents people from leaving that way after a game. They could even make the residential area permit parking, similar to how it's done on Victoria Ave downtown.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
There are presently 3 exits from the parking lots. They added the third as a right hand turn only dumping onto McHugh from the general parking lot. It has made a big difference on getting out. The new plan still includes 3 exits. Do we really have to re-churn parking lot issues? If getting out of a parking lot after a game is such an issue - don't go. Almost every rink in the CHL has after game exit issues but for some reason it is a show stopper in Windsor? Maybe do some out of town trips to see what others face. London doesn't even have a parking lot much less a free lot for 1600 cars. You either pay for parking, take the bus or walk a bit but they get 9000 fans. How many people take the shuttle bus to Detroit to see games? Nobody complains about that or why they don't give you free parking beside the arena? We need some real hockey stuff to happen so we can find something tangible to discuss. Rant over.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
There are presently 3 exits from the parking lots. They added the third as a right hand turn only dumping onto McHugh from the general parking lot. It has made a big difference on getting out. The new plan still includes 3 exits. Do we really have to re-churn parking lot issues? If getting out of a parking lot after a game is such an issue - don't go. Almost every rink in the CHL has after game exit issues but for some reason it is a show stopper in Windsor? Maybe do some out of town trips to see what others face. London doesn't even have a parking lot much less a free lot for 1600 cars. You either pay for parking, take the bus or walk a bit but they get 9000 fans. How many people take the shuttle bus to Detroit to see games? Nobody complains about that or why they don't give you free parking beside the arena? We need some real hockey stuff to happen so we can find something tangible to discuss. Rant over.

Fans not going not a option for Windsor.
They need all the fans they can get as attendance is dwindling the past few years.

member 71782

While all of that has some validity in Windsor and other situations there is no access to off site parking within a reasonable distance or reasonable public transportation options.

The Barn was comparable to the examples you gave with paid municipal lots, private lots, street parking and better public transit options. All things the WFCU doesn't have which brings a completely different dynamic.

The parking issues are a result of the location issues. Not just far east side but how/where it sits on the property.

Free parking is great, if there's enough of it. The surrounding area will create future conflicts in use and unneeded issues.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
While all of that has some validity in Windsor and other situations there is no access to off site parking within a reasonable distance or reasonable public transportation options.

The Barn was comparable to the examples you gave with paid municipal lots, private lots, street parking and better public transit options. All things the WFCU doesn't have which brings a completely different dynamic.

The parking issues are a result of the location issues. Not just far east side but how/where it sits on the property.

Free parking is great, if there's enough of it. The surrounding area will create future conflicts in use and unneeded issues.
There is a bus/shuttle from the mall for $3 - return fare. It is a 5 minute bus ride.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Looking at that pic, the northbound exit onto McHugh will be gone and replaced by the exit onto Lauzon leaving only two exits still.

Look at the picture again. There is still going to be 4 exits from the arena.... one onto McHugh to the east at a light.... one onto McHugh to the north without a light.... one is in blue on the map that is replacing the exit to the North at a light.... and the new access to the west onto Lauzon.

It was all owned by the developer. Windsor obtained the arena portion in a land swap. Whether that's the only choice the developer offered or that's the piece the city wanted I don't know. My guess is that's what the developer offered which was the worse half of the property for the intended use.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
The problem i see is the new exits begin 1 lane each direction unlike the one that’s being removed that i believe had 2 lanes that you could use to turn left at. If there is only 1 lane to go left i can see it backing up thru the residential area and make it impossible to get to the 2nd road to McHugh. I don’t know what it is like leaving now as we usually stay 15-20 after game and let it clear out before leaving. I can also see the complaints coming in as on game days people will be taking up the parking in residential areas. Another issue is the parking that is being taken away. What will the team do when the are expecting close to a sell out and don’t have the overflow lot they have used in the past? Those are just some things i can see happening. Just be nice if they could find away to get to tecumseh road like other have suggested
Although the new exits only look to be one lane, I don't think that the back up will be that bad.... or any worse that it is now. People leaving the arena will have the choice of using the McHugh or Lauzon exits. That being said,.I also don't leave the arena for a while.after the games so traffic isn't usually a problem.

As far as parking in the residential area... perhaps they will have residential parking permits like they do around the university.

There really isn't a loss of spots. 200 spaces are being traded for the new 200 space parking lot. In fact, the new lot is closer to the arena.

If we are expecting a sell out then perhaps utilizing shuttle buses might be an option

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
There is a bus/shuttle from the mall for $3 - return fare. It is a 5 minute bus ride.
I'm not sure that the shuttle from the mall is available for every game...but I'm sure that if the demand is there, it could be. I took the shuttle to the games during the Memorial Cup and thought that it was a great idea. That being g said, there are several establishments that offer shuttle service to the games.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019

The thing is.... Windsor has some of the best parking in the league.... and it's free. Talk to people from out of town who are.in love with our facility... including the parking.

Parking issues are NOT a result of the location. There are 1,600 free spots on the arena property.... very few OHL facilities have this. Some of the parking issues are caused by the way that spots are blocked off for premium ticket holders forcing people to park further away.

You bring up the barn.... with no on site parking.... I think that what we have now is better

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The thing is.... Windsor has some of the best parking in the league.... and it's free. Talk to people from out of town who are.in love with our facility... including the parking.

Parking issues are NOT a result of the location. There are 1,600 free spots on the arena property.... very few OHL facilities have this. Some of the parking issues are caused by the way that spots are blocked off for premium ticket holders forcing people to park further away.

You bring up the barn.... with no on site parking.... I think that what we have now is better
Although the new exits only look to be one lane, I don't think that the back up will be that bad.... or any worse that it is now. People leaving the arena will have the choice of using the McHugh or Lauzon exits. That being said,.I also don't leave the arena for a while.after the games so traffic isn't usually a problem.

As far as parking in the residential area... perhaps they will have residential parking permits like they do around the university.

There really isn't a loss of spots. 200 spaces are being traded for the new 200 space parking lot. In fact, the new lot is closer to the arena.

If we are expecting a sell out then perhaps utilizing shuttle buses might be an option

I doubt you would see parking permits there. Past McHugh there's the Little River housing district and fans used to park there a lot and got ticketed consistently. I imagine you would see the same thing with that.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Sell out????

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm not sure that the shuttle from the mall is available for every game...but I'm sure that if the demand is there, it could be. I took the shuttle to the games during the Memorial Cup and thought that it was a great idea. That being g said, there are several establishments that offer shuttle service to the games.
Buses run for every game. There are fans ( mostly seniors) that use it every game to avoid the cold walks to the parking lot. They like the car to door/ door to car service.

member 71782

Shuttle buses are great, when you advertise free parking and add another layer expense when that free parking is full it shows the shortcomings of the site. Fortunately the current level of free parking likely accommodates most of the average game night attendance.

The latest issue revolves around running a large volume of traffic through the middle of what will be primarily a residential neighbourhood. While it won't be a 24 hour a day issue it will be an ongoing, reoccurring event for at least six months of the year and any other time there are major events booked there.

My concerns aren't related to those going to the games but viewing it from the perspective of those who will live in the neighbourhood. It will cause issues, the city will have to address those issues after the fact at taxpayer expense and those will be ongoing issues for the next forty years or so.

The biggest immediate issue IMO is the city picking up the bill to accommodate the developer who is requesting the land swap. To develop the property as he wants he needs the land swap and the city is paying the associated costs? That's ridiculous.

Look. I gave up season tickets when Rychel prioritized his kid over the team, 2011/12 was my last year. I've been to one game since then, the following year. Parking was a bit of an issue but not so bad that it kept me away. As this team has continued to be mediocre most years I will not buy season tickets again until they provide a better product so as a fan this doesn't affect me.

I grew up in Windsor, lived there for almost 32 years and have lived in Belle River for 22. Hate Belle River, always loved Windsor but this is where my wife wants to live so as a taxpayer it doesn't affect me

Personally could care less what they do but IMO, and all I'm doing is giving an opinion this is taking a very poorly thought out situation and continuing to make the situation worse for those affected or will be affected by it.

Agree if people are so dissatisfied with the parking don't go but when parking becomes a major determining factor it says more about the product than the parking situation itself. People have no issue with small inconveniences if they are doing something they enjoy so if there's this much of an issue over changes to the parking and where you live isn't affected then it's time for people to reassess why they go.

Again, this is one more bad decision in a long list of bad decisions surrounding the planning of this site.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Shuttle buses are great, when you advertise free parking and add another layer expense when that free parking is full it shows the shortcomings of the site. Fortunately the current level of free parking likely accommodates most of the average game night attendance.

The latest issue revolves around running a large volume of traffic through the middle of what will be primarily a residential neighbourhood. While it won't be a 24 hour a day issue it will be an ongoing, reoccurring event for at least six months of the year and any other time there are major events booked there.

My concerns aren't related to those going to the games but viewing it from the perspective of those who will live in the neighbourhood. It will cause issues, the city will have to address those issues after the fact at taxpayer expense and those will be ongoing issues for the next forty years or so.

The biggest immediate issue IMO is the city picking up the bill to accommodate the developer who is requesting the land swap. To develop the property as he wants he needs the land swap and the city is paying the associated costs? That's ridiculous.

Look. I gave up season tickets when Rychel prioritized his kid over the team, 2011/12 was my last year. I've been to one game since then, the following year. Parking was a bit of an issue but not so bad that it kept me away. As this team has continued to be mediocre most years I will not buy season tickets again until they provide a better product so as a fan this doesn't affect me.

I grew up in Windsor, lived there for almost 32 years and have lived in Belle River for 22. Hate Belle River, always loved Windsor but this is where my wife wants to live so as a taxpayer it doesn't affect me

Personally could care less what they do but IMO, and all I'm doing is giving an opinion this is taking a very poorly thought out situation and continuing to make the situation worse for those affected or will be affected by it.

Agree if people are so dissatisfied with the parking don't go but when parking becomes a major determining factor it says more about the product than the parking situation itself. People have no issue with small inconveniences if they are doing something they enjoy so if there's this much of an issue over changes to the parking and where you live isn't affected then it's time for people to reassess why they go.

Again, this is one more bad decision in a long list of bad decisions surrounding the planning of this site.

In all honesty, when there are 4,000 fans, there are lots of free spots on game nights. It becomes an issue when there are more than that.

When you say that it will cause issues in the neighborhood, although I don't want to dismiss that, we are talking about roughly 36 days out of the year.

I agree with you, if the product on the ice improves, very few people will be talking about parking

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Well said. This is more about the city and the parking situation. It involves the Spits by way of them being a tenant so it effects fans that go to the game. It's totally fair game to point out this has been an issue since the arena opened and the fact we are still talking about it is an issue.

Are we not allowed to discuss what it's like in downtown Windsor with the boarded up shops, the theft, and junkies?? This is going to be a discussion point whether people like it or not.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There are parking issues and, depending on who you talk to, it may never be satisfactory. On the plus side, you're not walking much further than you would have at the Windsor Arena and it's free. If they could add the exit to Lauzon Rd and maybe open up the entire lot to people on game-day, that's even better. But, for now, you take the good with the bad.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Was Steve Downie a fan favourite in Windsor?
He led the team back from a 0-3 series deficit against the Sault by sheer will alone, I'd say he was a fan favorite. Aliu was a punk and always will be one, so that whole scene and its aftermath didn't affect opinions of Downy with real spits fans. I can't speak for the rest of the bleeding hearts around here though, who probably feel sympathy for poor little Akim having his delicate little snowflake feelings damaged by being told to pick up pucks. In my opinion Downy's message to Aliu was right even if his method of conveying it was completely warped.

Reactions: OHLTG and OHL 17

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Downie was a perfect mix of heart, soul, and "WTF??" He loved the game and, sometimes, that led to weird decisions. That being said, without that entire incident, I don't know that the Spitfires are still in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad