Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Heck if they responded to a knights fans comment as silly as OHLTGs - Downie's harassment of teammates kept the team in the city- Id back up the Spits fans comment

I said the incident "sped up the process", which I still believe it did. I hated the incident as much as everyone else and, at the time, I was involved in it to an extent.

I think at this stage Windsor needs someone a bit more experienced and with a winning track record behind the bench.

He's got two years as a HC and two years as an assistant. The last two years as HC was on a rebuilding Kingston team that would have made the playoffs this year. Beyond Wright he hasn't much high end talent to work with.

If Windsor was starting a rebuild or taking a step back this year looking at two years out he might be worth looking into but provided there's no surprises Windsor needs a more proven coach who has been tested with high end young talent that should be taking a step forward.

I don't think he'd be the best fit right now unless Windsor is changing directions and looking more to the future.

Agreed. I like Foster but I'd prefer to see someone come in who has several years of OHL experience. It's been a while since we've had one of those and maybe that's needed for this group.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
What this team needs is a guy with a track record of making players better! Getting them to the next level. Hey Knight boy! You say stop letting the fan in him speak yet you sit back and do just that!! Typical! I wonder if a Spits fan goes to your page and chirps the knights?!?! Yes Cornwall and Buffalo both were on the radar at that time. Both have been at times over the last few decades. Riolo knew he had to sell and he did the right thing by selling to those guys.

I distinctly remember attending games at the barn and remembering hearing fans openly discussing the possibility of this team moving to flint aswell as the other cities mentioned.

Reactions: Teflon

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I said the incident "sped up the process", which I still believe it did. I hated the incident as much as everyone else and, at the time, I was involved in it to an extent.
Sorry to hear you were involved. In whatever way you were. Glad that crap doesn't happen any more. No place for it.
I wouldn't disagree it sped up time process. I have no idea. My only issue was this quote from your post I responded to
"That being said, without that entire incident, I don't know that the Spitfires are still in town."
I cant connect those dots. Makes no sense. One had nothing to do with the other. They stayed in Windsor not cause Downie disrespected, harassed, was abusive to younger kids but because they sold to a group the OHL approved n wanted them to stay.
Timeline sure, if you say so.
CFaub laid out the reasoning very well

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I distinctly remember attending games at the barn and remembering hearing fans openly discussing the possibility of this team moving to flint aswell as the other cities mentioned.

I have no doubts those rumors were floating about. Makes sense.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't mind agreeing to disagree. It's no big deal here. Maybe the team would have been sold to local buyers all along. At the time, it certainly wasn't the impression I got.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Agreed. I like Foster but I'd prefer to see someone come in who has several years of OHL experience. It's been a while since we've had one of those and maybe that's needed for this group.

I don't mind experience but if we are talking experience there's a chance the guy is just a recycled coach at that time if he has several years of experience. Look no further than Letowski if there's a season coming up he will have finished 6 full seasons in the OHL. If he never coached again in Windsor he's exactly what you are describing as a coach with several years experience.

Getting the right coach is much more important than making sure he has several years of experience. Chris Lazary was with Saginaw a couple seasons as associate coach, named head coach in November of 2018 and led Saginaw to 2 straight division titles. John Gruden didn't even finish 1 year with Flint and got fired. Hired by Hamilton and they win an OHL title. Sheldon Keefe did great work in the Soo and he didn't have a single game of OHL coaching experience before he took over. Eric Wellwood had very little OHL experience as a coach and has done great work in Flint.

If you want a successful coach with years of OHL experience you're going to have to come with a real nice financial package and since this ownership group hasn't exactly shown a willingness to spend I doubt it would happen with this group.

The best case would be for Windsor to do their research find an extremely young coach who has had prior success and looking to take the next step into the OHL and further his future.

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
Careful all you coach haters, not that I like him either, but it wouldn’t be the first time the Savages let Bowler be both Coach and GM of their hockey team. Kill 2 birds...new coach...no new money.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Both Keefe and Wellwood had experience behind the bench in some capacity. Keefe also seems to be more the exception than the rule. I'd like to see someone with experience behind the bench, whether it was as an associate coach (which Wellwood was) or a head coach. Someone who knows how to create systems and get everyone on the same page. I'd love to have Rocky back but I know that's not an option.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Careful all you coach haters, not that I like him either, but it wouldn’t be the first time the Savages let Bowler be both Coach and GM of their hockey team. Kill 2 birds...new coach...no new money.

Ughhh

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I don't mind experience but if we are talking experience there's a chance the guy is just a recycled coach at that time if he has several years of experience. Look no further than Letowski if there's a season coming up he will have finished 6 full seasons in the OHL. If he never coached again in Windsor he's exactly what you are describing as a coach with several years experience.

Getting the right coach is much more important than making sure he has several years of experience. Chris Lazary was with Saginaw a couple seasons as associate coach, named head coach in November of 2018 and led Saginaw to 2 straight division titles. John Gruden didn't even finish 1 year with Flint and got fired. Hired by Hamilton and they win an OHL title. Sheldon Keefe did great work in the Soo and he didn't have a single game of OHL coaching experience before he took over. Eric Wellwood had very little OHL experience as a coach and has done great work in Flint.

If you want a successful coach with years of OHL experience you're going to have to come with a real nice financial package and since this ownership group hasn't exactly shown a willingness to spend I doubt it would happen with this group.

The best case would be for Windsor to do their research find an extremely young coach who has had prior success and looking to take the next step into the OHL and further his future.

While your best case scenario has its merits, it all comes down to the money-honey. IF it is the intention of the ownership to sell, bringing in a new young coach would cause more problems than not. The only way Trevor leaves at this stage is if he goes somewhere for more $$. Hopefully he finds his pot at the end of the rainbow.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On

Great point! This is a very likely scenario, as it would save them money.

member 71782

At least Bowler would have a full time position to fill his time while still having time left over for his hobby as a yes man in the GM's role.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Knight Boy. Nice lol.
So do you think Downie's incident kept the team in Windsor? If so why?
I like Cfaubs explanation of why it didn't as opposed to OHLTGs comment it did.
Care to discuss?

Downie didn't save the franchise for Windsor. Just soiled its and his reputation. JMO.
When an incident like that happens something has to give. That said, that kinda stuff went on in likely every ohl team. So something did give, owner felt compelled to sell. In an around about way it did help the team get sold and it all happened at the right time for those guys to buy in up, likely keeping the team from moving. Yes I heard those other cities were interested and yes talks happened. But lucky for us it happened the way it did. If you wanna jump on Downie, that’s your prerogative, but careful casting stones. London has had its fair share of head scratching behaviour over the years. I don’t see folks going after your guys to such an extent!!

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Maybe with so many teams in a coach search we could trade TL to one of them?!!!! Lmao I mean there are some here who believe he is a good coach!!! Have a bad feeling we’re going to stagnate for a few years at least. The epidemic isn’t going to help the teams bottom line, I might believe we could lose some teams over this. Short of local guys looking to buy I fear the Savages are gonna sit on this team for quite a while. If it continues to run as it has, I see a bunch of mediocrity coming our way.

Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe with so many teams in a coach search we could trade TL to one of them?!!!! Lmao I mean there are some here who believe he is a good coach!!! Have a bad feeling we’re going to stagnate for a few years at least. The epidemic isn’t going to help the teams bottom line, I might believe we could lose some teams over this. Short of local guys looking to buy I fear the Savages are gonna sit on this team for quite a while. If it continues to run as it has, I see a bunch of mediocrity coming our way.

N cheapness

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Not that I'm one to make predictions but look at the brighter side of things. It will make it easier for the WFCU to lead the league in social distancing..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
3 players recently drafted by Windsor in the priority draft were selected today by 3 teams in the USHL draft today.
Tyler Catalano C/RW was picked in the 2nd rd. 21st by Youngstown, Windsor selected him in the 8th-154th o/a
Nicholas Van Tassell-Cen was drafted in the 6th by Green Bay,Windsor picked him in the 14th-280th
And Center Michael Mesic was selected in the 10th and final round by Omaha, Windsor picked him in the 12th-234th.
Will be interesting to see if any of 3 plays in USHL this coming season as the league usually doesn't suit up alot of 16 year old players not often more then 2- 16 year olds per team.
Windsor is quite interested in Catalano, and Mesic was a teammate of 1st round pick Ryan Abraham in the Detroit area this past season.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
3 players recently drafted by Windsor in the priority draft were selected today by 3 teams in the USHL draft today.
Tyler Catalano C/RW was picked in the 2nd rd. 21st by Youngstown, Windsor selected him in the 8th-154th o/a
Nicholas Van Tassell-Cen was drafted in the 6th by Green Bay,Windsor picked him in the 14th-280th
And Center Michael Mesic was selected in the 10th and final round by Omaha, Windsor picked him in the 12th-234th.
Will be interesting to see if any of 3 plays in USHL this coming season as the league usually doesn't suit up alot of 16 year old players not often more then 2- 16 year olds per team.
Windsor is quite interested in Catalano, and Mesic was a teammate of 1st round pick Ryan Abraham in the Detroit area this past season.

Put them on the long list......

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Is Windsor actively pursuing Catalano? I'd love to see him get a shot.

After the draft GM Bowler spoke glowingly of Catalano, intriguing player nice size already 6'2"-205,plays Center/RW,needs work on his edges otherwise skilled and gritty
I can think of 2 players with St Louis Missouri roots that Windsor was able to get here,Cam Jansssen and Logan Brown,both played for St Louis Bantam AA before coming here,would certainly be a coup if Windsor can nab Catalano.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
After the draft GM Bowler spoke glowingly of Catalano, intriguing player nice size already 6'2"-205,plays Center/RW,needs work on his edges otherwise skilled and gritty
I can think of 2 players with St Louis Missouri roots that Windsor was able to get here,Cam Jansssen and Logan Brown,both played for St Louis Bantam AA before coming here,would certainly be a coup if Windsor can nab Catalano.

Dont gms speaking glowingly about all players. Hmmm.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Cam was the first one I thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad