Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
None of these AHL guys will wanna come back to play glorified midget hockey
Start in September
Have a month long showcase tourney

It's such a petty handout to the players and now owners have protection which they always wanted. Meanwhile college athletes will be making more money off of name image and likeness. Come Sept/Oct those junior hockey players will be busy getting their $150 per week. The only thing a lot of people realize now is junior hockey is such a racket and players are just a pawn in the game.

Reactions: hullsy47

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
It's such a petty handout to the players and now owners have protection which they always wanted. Meanwhile college athletes will be making more money off of name image and likeness. Come Sept/Oct those junior hockey players will be busy getting their $150 per week. The only thing a lot of people realize now is junior hockey is such a racket and players are just a pawn in the game.
So you really just have a hate on for the league in general then. Why waste your time here?

Reactions: The Howler

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So you really just have a hate on for the league in general then. Why waste your time here?

My opinion they have handled it quite poorly (putting it nicely) everybody has an opinion. Just my belief that being a bleeding heart for millionaires in a pandemic is poor look for many people and when I see that it shows their values.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
My opinion they have handled it quite poorly (putting it nicely) everybody has an opinion. Just my belief that being a bleeding heart for millionaires in a pandemic is poor look for many people and when I see that it shows their values.

Thats how the rich stay rich unfortunately.
Cater to the rich.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Don’t bother with him rayzor. He likes to talk you into circles while saying nothing himself lol. Just so we’re clear I to am against it at this point. It’s to late to play a worthwhile season, still not sure of the playing rules, teams will not be a true representation of what they could have been...frankly the handout seems ridiculous as well. I’m still not convinced they will play. Guess we see.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Thats how the rich stay rich unfortunately.
Cater to the rich.

It's merely a way to save face. Government pumps out money for franchises to afford education expenses. Cobble together some sort of season to make it look like they care about "their" players. The problem is the players aren't united for the same cause. Some want to play due to showcasing themselves for the 2021 NHL draft, some are fighting ever to be noticed by scouts again, some are just playing out the string. Nobody has the same interests and it will tear the league apart. In the end they will cannabilize themselves. They haven't played a game for over a year and figured out a way to make this league better, they just want a 20 game showcase.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Don’t bother with him rayzor. He likes to talk you into circles while saying nothing himself lol. Just so we’re clear I to am against it at this point. It’s to late to play a worthwhile season, still not sure of the playing rules, teams will not be a true representation of what they could have been...frankly the handout seems ridiculous as well. I’m still not convinced they will play. Guess we see.

People always get a little more bark when there's another puppy agreeing with you. I was never for or against a season. If you wanted a "season" you push through everything but Branch didn't want to do that for obvious, the best interests of the owners. Now after both leagues have played hockey the OHL wants to swoop in and salvage a season?? The least shocking thing is London wanting to host one of the bubbles and suck the teat of the OHL, or is it the OHL sucking the teat of London? It's really confusing at this point.

Otto

People always get a little more bark when there's another puppy agreeing with you. I was never for or against a season. If you wanted a "season" you push through everything but Branch didn't want to do that for obvious, the best interests of the owners. Now after both leagues have played hockey the OHL wants to swoop in and salvage a season?? The least shocking thing is London wanting to host one of the bubbles and suck the teat of the OHL, or is it the OHL sucking the teat of London? It's really confusing at this point.

Too funny.. you both call me out for something that's not there and fail to back it up.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
in windsor here we got spoiled. The boughner group bled this market dry.
There is no more money to made in junior hockey
But an AHL team affiliated with Detroit would be a bonanza

Otto

in windsor here we got spoiled. The boughner group bled this market dry.
There is no more money to made in junior hockey
But an AHL team affiliated with Detroit would be a bonanza

I'd be surprised if that was the case. The Spitfires 10 year average in attendance isn't that far off the AHL league average factor in the higher ticket prices because of a lot bigger expenses they would be very lucky to break even.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

London would be a obvious choice.
They have most of the boxes checked off even schooling if that's a issue. Plus they always have Branch on their side even though its up to the government this time.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So of interest CTV news last night interviewed players on their reaction to the hope of return to play. They interviewed them at a scrimmage. 2 things. First player they interviewed was Grayson Ladd. He was taking part in the scrimmage so it seems he has had his surgery and is back on the ice, that is good news. Second thing was they interviewed them at a hockey scrimmage that was clearly mostly OHL players. Maggio was also interviewed. Last interview was with assistant coach Jerrod Smith who seemed to be there as well.

Looks like teams are getting ready, would not be shocked if all teams are on the ice somewhere everyday getting ready.

Also thinking out loud if the OHL ends up starting later then most players loaned somewhere would most likely be able to return as their present leagues either are done or their team are out of the playoffs so to speak. They won't turn down a chance to continue playing somewhere. League may very well play games May, June July and then roll right into camp in August after a couple of weeks to pause . Likely the 21/22 season will be delayed until there is a good chance they can get fans in the stands. Anyway just musing and hoping.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'd be surprised if that was the case. The Spitfires 10 year average in attendance isn't that far off the AHL league average factor in the higher ticket prices because of a lot bigger expenses they would be very lucky to break even.
Ticket prices is laval bellevile not far off London or even windsor with a far superior product
A wings farm team would get u tons of US fans

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Too funny.. you both call me out for something that's not there and fail to back it up.

Actually I wasn't calling you out at all. Not sure where Teflon called you out either. So yeah maybe don't try s draw things from a post that wasn't directed towards you.

Otto

Actually I wasn't calling you out at all. Not sure where Teflon called you out either. So yeah maybe don't try s draw things from a post that wasn't directed towards you.

Actually... you did.. in a since deleted by admin post in the next season thread. But sure keep backpedaling. Which posts are you referring to that indicate "being a bleeding heart for millionaires"

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Just for clarity for those that don’t know. Players have been skating together got quite some time. Many groups in many cities. Not just same team guys. For eg. locally there’s been numerous spits, knights, OS and others who have ties here. Some have been in and out around trips to Europe and pro camps/games. Locally there’s a ton of higher end talent that has skated/played together for years. The “extras” London gets are borderline criminal. Branch and the BIL Hunters always seem to help each other out! Many cities fit the bubble criteria.

Otto

Just for clarity for those that don’t know. Players have been skating together got quite some time. Many groups in many cities. Not just same team guys. For eg. locally there’s been numerous spits, knights, OS and others who have ties here. Some have been in and out around trips to Europe and pro camps/games. Locally there’s a ton of higher end talent that has skated/played together for years. The “extras” London gets are borderline criminal. Branch and the BIL Hunters always seem to help each other out! Many cities fit the bubble criteria.
Except for the all important fact that London has the lowest covid rate in Southern Ontario... but I'm sure that won't factor into it

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
If various groups of OHL players have been skating together in Windsor and other cities I wonder who is footing the Bill for their ice time? The WFCU must have been open for some time and it costs a penny or two to have ice in. The mayor /premier have clamped down on small business yet apparently it’s safe enough to have an arena open. Wonder what safe guards are in place at the WFCU. Are the beer leagues running ? Do they strain the suds through their masks?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If various groups of OHL players have been skating together in Windsor and other cities I wonder who is footing the Bill for their ice time? The WFCU must have been open for some time and it costs a penny or two to have ice in. The mayor /premier have clamped down on small business yet apparently it’s safe enough to have an arena open. Wonder what safe guards are in place at the WFCU. Are the beer leagues running ? Do they strain the suds through their masks?

Lol

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Went to WFCU for the vaccine yesterday, they use both ice pads for the process. It's very well organized, the people are nice and that's all you can ask for. With all that being said I was there for close to 40 minutes for the process. I would be surprised if they can pack in 1000 vaccinations a day. They said they were backed up and probably in a span of an hour and looking at the people there they may get through 10-12 in an hour and that's with a lot of health care professionals working.

At one point late summer early fall there was a window for beer league hockey but it was a scaled down version, walking into the arena you already needed to be dressed to play, full on skates with skate guards being worn. Locker rooms were not really available with the exception of going to the washroom. The idea of beer league hockey this year never really took off here.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Except for the all important fact that London has the lowest covid rate in Southern Ontario... but I'm sure that won't factor into it

Look at the trends of this province and if you didn't think you could play hockey in September and October you can't possibly believe it's a wise idea to play now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otto

Ticket prices is laval bellevile not far off London or even windsor with a far superior product
A wings farm team would get u tons of US fans

I'm just not seeing why the Wings would consider that move. Grand Rapids is drawing over 7,000 fans a game. Considering all revenue would be in Canadian $$ the WFCU would need to sell out every game at a higher ticket price than Grand Rapids is currently. it doesn't make financial sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad