Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Karl's numbers are off to a very impressive start. Probably more comfortable at home? I don't think he adjusted to the change in N.A. like many young imports or maybe he now has a tighter defense in front of him.

Maybe luck.
Everyone needs luck.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Karl's numbers are off to a very impressive start. Probably more comfortable at home? I don't think he adjusted to the change in N.A. like many young imports or maybe he now has a tighter defense in front of him.

Probably a combination of comfort, less pressure, a better D in front of him... and all that brought out his actual talent. Props to the guy for finding his game. I know he's being considered for the World Juniors as the backup, too.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Probably a combination of comfort, less pressure, a better D in front of him... and all that brought out his actual talent. Props to the guy for finding his game. I know he's being considered for the World Juniors as the backup, too.

Pressure? Lol

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You come in after DiPietro and there's going to be pressure. Those are big skates to fill. That being said, if you disagree, cool, I don't really care. I'm just glad he's showing what he has back home. I knew he could perform well.

Just had to do his job n stop the puck. Even average would of been better than the performance.
For 3000 people.
How did u know he perform well?
U knew him personally or is it because he from finland?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You come in after DiPietro and there's going to be pressure. Those are big skates to fill. That being said, if you disagree, cool, I don't really care. I'm just glad he's showing what he has back home. I knew he could perform well.

He's not far off from saying he just needed to stop the puck. Maybe the GM saying he was the 2nd best draft eligible goalie from Europe had something to do with that as well. There are probably as many goalies who have followed a very good goalie and done quite well to. It's fine he's playing well back in Finland that doesn't change the fact he played himself out of a job here.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Probably more comfortable at home? I don't think he adjusted to the change in N.A.

The expectation of a kid (and really in today’s world at 17 they still are) to just come over and plunk him into a totally different country and lifestyle I could see being overwhelming for some players. Really the number that do make the transition without difficulty is probably higher then one would / or should expect. It’s tough but it is what they signed on for?

Reactions: OHLTG

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The expectation of a kid (and really in today’s world at 17 they still are) to just come over and plunk him into a totally different country and lifestyle I could see being overwhelming for some players. Really the number that do make the transition without difficulty is probably higher then one would / or should expect. It’s tough but it is what they signed on for?
And idk what kind of league he came from but the OHL is an offensive league with a ton of guys who can absolutely fire the puck. If you’re coming from a typical lower level junior league, that’s a huge talent difference. You see it with young Canadian goalies too. I mean look at Tristan Lennox. He’s a WJ candidate goalie and he was awful last year with a .880 save % on a really good team

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
And idk what kind of league he came from but the OHL is an offensive league with a ton of guys who can absolutely fire the puck.

It was one of the higher levels in Finland, but his stats were pretty damn good, up into the .910-plus area. When you go from success at home, to struggling away from home, to success at home again...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It was one of the higher levels in Finland, but his stats were pretty damn good, up into the .910-plus area. When you go from success at home, to struggling away from home, to success at home again...

Guess just play at home then....

Reactions: Buttsy

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Why rip on the kid??? He came and gave it a shot didn’t work out. Simple as that! Happens to a great number of kids, they were superstars in their leagues and can’t cut it in the OHL good for him he’s found his game! These are kids folks!!! Unless you’ve left home very young, played against guys 4 years older and still did all of life’s other responsibilities you have no room to chirp!!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think that report is pretty dead on. Once hockey returns, I'm expecting his attitude to change a bit; he needs to develop that drive to create.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
One of my old contacts surfaced today. He says he doesn’t believe there will be a season at all this year. He thinks the lockdown trend here and the mess the US is in, combined with the border closed for an undisclosed time is about the last nail. Guess we’ll see how stuff unfolds. I’m not surprised really. Anyone I’ve spoken with says owners are totally opposed to playing in empty arenas.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From the border being closed until at least Jan. 21 to cases going up and lockdowns starting, I can't see a season happening. Yes, it would be nice to have the league back, but getting numbers down and businesses up-and-running is more important. If this means waiting until a public vaccine this summer and starting in Sept, I'm okay with that.

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
If majority of the Major Junior Teams cant play with even the QMJHL being shut down for a while is this the time they look at moving the NHL draft ago up from 18 to 19? I know the argument always seems to come out about raising the age once in a while but with the Pandemic happening and with so much uncertainty I could see it not only helping some teams by having a star player come back with more ticket sales once fans are aloud back but also helps a team stay competitive for a littlelonger being able to trade said player to recoup assets or keep him to help compete for a title

member 71782

If majority of the Major Junior Teams cant play with even the QMJHL being shut down for a while is this the time they look at moving the NHL draft ago up from 18 to 19? I know the argument always seems to come out about raising the age once in a while but with the Pandemic happening and with so much uncertainty I could see it not only helping some teams by having a star player come back with more ticket sales once fans are aloud back but also helps a team stay competitive for a littlelonger being able to trade said player to recoup assets or keep him to help compete for a title

I don't think the NHL will ever change the age, they wouldn't be legally able to. This dates back to the 70s when there was a lawsuit brought against them that was due to 18 year olds were considered legal adults and to prevent them from being eligible to work in their chosen field at 18, if they were qualified was illegal. I believe that is also why there is a deadline for draft eligibility, they have to be 18 by the time the league is prepared to open their camps while anyone who is not 18 by that date would still be considered a minor when season preparations begin.

I don't recall all the details but it was around the time the WHL was in existence and were becoming a threat to sign kids at 18 before they were draft eligible for the NHL. I would imagine an agent likely encouraged a kid to bring the lawsuit.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I agree the CHL will have a hard time maintaining their current agreement arrangements let alone raising the draft eligible age to 19. I'd like to have seen Gretzky play longer than the one full season with the Soo. Signing at 17 to the WHL. It is a shame thinking how many OHL records his name would have been on. Could you imagine trying to score tickets when he was in town. After this Covid year, I wonder in the future how many young Canadians may continue to go abroad to play in Europe now that many have opened that door. The league will further suffer if they can't maintain the majority of talent choosing to play in the CHL. Critical time for the league to not further slide off the radar to being the premier development league. The USHL has already really hurt us the past 10 yrs.

Reactions: Teflon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad