Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Sure it is a long shot but we could see Afanasyev and Corcoran back. I see it as a 0% chance Rafkin is back. You would need to find that level of quality of player to replace them if they do not return if you wish to be a playoff team.
Also wondering out loud if Ladd had his shoulder surgery and if so when and where would he be if the recovery time line? I've asked around but nobody seems to have any insight into his well being.

Ladd = injury prone

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I haven't seen this mentioned on here, so...

Jim Parker reporting JL Foudy is heading to Morrums GoIS IK in Sweden. That's in the southern part of the country. It's the third-tier hockey league.

Henault is also over in Europe, playing for Keiko Espoo U20 in Finland.

Foudy is on loan and will be returned as soon as the Spitfires start playing. If they return as scheduled on Feb 4, he has to be back in Windsor by Jan 8.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I haven't seen this mentioned on here, so...

Jim Parker reporting JL Foudy is heading to Morrums GoIS IK in Sweden. That's in the southern part of the country. It's the third-tier hockey league.

Henault is also over in Europe, playing for Keiko Espoo U20 in Finland.

Foudy is on loan and will be returned as soon as the Spitfires start playing. If they return as scheduled on Feb 4, he has to be back in Windsor by Jan 8.

If there is a season.
Could be a shut down first.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Most of the time fans have given credit when due as well as criticism when due. How the team plays usually determines the response. At the same time extended periods of mediocrity leads extended periods of criticism. Most fans don't instantly jump up and down because of one good game, one good signing etc, it takes extended periods of good results to regain that enthusiasm but that doesn't mean fans have stopped supporting the team, simply that one good showing doesn't change all the issues that lead up to it or the fact that most issues have still not been addressed.

Being a fan of the Spits is becoming more and more like a being a fan of the Lions, most keep hoping they'll have something to cheer about even though there's never been any serious indication they will while there's always a few who always believe no matter how much they stay on the same course of mediocrity they're just one move away from winning a Super Bowl. You can't fault the fans who still hope things will turnaround but those who are blind to the reality that it'll take more than one move refuse to acknowledge the reality of the team's situation.

Commend or criticize on the reality of the situation but blind faith when nothing is changing for the positive is not something most are willing to do. I guess that's saved for those special few real fans who know which fans are true and which ones aren't.

This team doesn't even have a full forward group up front yet. Depending on what happens with Afanasyev, and potentially others they need two or three bodies to fill out the roster on forward. Their D basically got younger and their goaltending got younger as well. That doesn't spell out a championship team and with reduced teams in the playoffs it doesn't likely spell out a playoff team. The team can add some rookies to fill those spots if they don't want to move assets or they can move assets to fill out those spots which leaves them short at the deadline if they found themselves in a position to contend. Afanasyev may be 50/50 to return, but reality is he's signed, AHL eligible and loaned out by Nashville, I really doubt he'll be back.

The roster going into this season?

Forwards

Angle (OA)
Douglas (OA)
D'Amico (01)
Foudy (02)
Cuylle (02)
McDonald (02)
Maggio (02)
Johnston (03)
Zito (03)
Abraham (04)

Other Options

Playfair (OA)
Afanasyev (01)

D

Henault (01)
Ladd (01)
Robinson (02)
Renwick (02)
Sobolev (03)
De Angelis (04)

Other Options

Corcoran (OA)
Rupoli (OA)
Rafkin (02)
Jodoin (03)

Goal

Medina (02)
Downey (04)

Other Options

Tovell (02)

Corcoran, Afanasyev and Rafkin are not likely back. Jodoin likely not ready by what was said last year. Tovell is doubtful unless Downey isn't ready but by all accounts Downey should be the better option. That leaves one of Playfair or Rupoli likely getting a spot. Do they go with versatility in Rupoli or loyalty in Playfair as their third OA. Either way you won't get a ton of contributions from either, they already have six D signed and they're short on forwards barring some miracle.

That many question marks, still a young line up for a team expected to finish high and they don't have a ton of assets, 3x 2nds/4x 3rds/4x 4ths out to 2024.

A younger team built for 2021/22, a few holes to fill, not a lot of assets because the GM wouldn't make any moves to add assets and more youth and a coaching staff that has proven one thing, they're able to lose when they should be winning. That's not a recipe for success.

You wonder why people are doubtful, have no faith or are negative about the future at this point?

None of this takes into account that no one knows if Robinson and McDonald issues that were speculated about have been resolved.

When there's some concrete moves to show some direction, an ability to add what's needed to make them a contender and a coach that shows an ability to play to his player's strengths instead of backing off all the time maybe then there'll be a few more upbeat fans, including me. A couple of good weeks isn't going to cut it though, it'll take something that shows they can sustain any success they may have.

I agree with a lot of this. The hand wringing about how negative fans are just used by others as to deflect the discussion away from how the franchise has been quite average for many years now, teetering on some poor years more than good ones.

The idea about what a true fan is as nauseating as the idea you can't comment on a sport unless you played at a high level.

As for the roster still hard pressed to see why Corcoran would return. LV is up against the cap. Fort Wayne as of now is still planning to have a season. There are options for Corcoran other than Windsor.

People are overlooking the need for a competent backup. Medina had a nice rookie year but make no mistake Piiroinen opened the door for Medina to take the job. I bet if Medina put up .886 sv% again the team wouldnt be a contender.

I am more interested in who replaces Mike Weber behind the bench, it's been 2 months since he left. They have time to find another one but there hasn't been a word filling that void yet. We will see what happens moving forward but not a lot on this roster screams contender.

Reactions: Cherrydon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I agree with a lot of this. The hand wringing about how negative fans are just used by others as to deflect the discussion away from how the franchise has been quite average for many years now, teetering on some poor years more than good ones.

The idea about what a true fan is as nauseating as the idea you can't comment on a sport unless you played at a high level.

As for the roster still hard pressed to see why Corcoran would return. LV is up against the cap. Fort Wayne as of now is still planning to have a season. There are options for Corcoran other than Windsor.

People are overlooking the need for a competent backup. Medina had a nice rookie year but make no mistake Piiroinen opened the door for Medina to take the job. I bet if Medina put up .886 sv% again the team wouldnt be a contender.

I am more interested in who replaces Mike Weber behind the bench, it's been 2 months since he left. They have time to find another one but there hasn't been a word filling that void yet. We will see what happens moving forward but not a lot on this roster screams contender.

Could Weber replacement be "another" relative of management????? Haha

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Weber had hockey knowledge, though. The issue at-hand was the possibility of the team hiring "another relative" and I said if the person had hockey knowledge and some teaching experience (either/or, really), I was good with that. As long as they don't bring someone in JUST because they know them...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Weber had hockey knowledge, though. The issue at-hand was the possibility of the team hiring "another relative" and I said if the person had hockey knowledge and some teaching experience (either/or, really), I was good with that. As long as they don't bring someone in JUST because they know them...

How has all that knowledge helped Windsor last bunch of years????

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Could it be that this area has a lot of hockey knowledge and there is quite a bit of back door chat or was anyway lol. I think that’s why there’s so much negativity. At least that’s my reason. Folks that have been inside jr hockey tend to keep contacts. Many use this area as a base to scout from, ton of “insiders” in the area. Frankly the amount of info that has come they here is unreal!

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Could it be that this area has a lot of hockey knowledge and there is quite a bit of back door chat or was anyway lol. I think that’s why there’s so much negativity. At least that’s my reason. Folks that have been inside jr hockey tend to keep contacts. Many use this area as a base to scout from, ton of “insiders” in the area. Frankly the amount of info that has come they here is unreal!

The number of former Spitfires (or simply from this area) who are involved in either scouting, management, coaching (or asst) is impressive. Give me a Wellwood or Ridout behind the bench any day.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The number of former Spitfires (or simply from this area) who are involved in either scouting, management, coaching (or asst) is impressive. Give me a Wellwood or Ridout behind the bench any day.

Remove the whole coaching staff.
Clean slate needed!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I would love to see Welly here, but I see no way that will ever happen. IMO, his next job is an Assistant in the NHL or Head Coach in the AHL. I see him as a Head Coach in the NHL in 5 to 10 years.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I would love to see Welly here, but I see no way that will ever happen. IMO, his next job is an Assistant in the NHL or Head Coach in the AHL. I see him as a Head Coach in the NHL in 5 to 10 years.
Boat has sailed on Wellwood and I agree 100% his next job is upward not sideways. He also strikes me as a loyal guy who won’t forget the team that gave him his start. And it wasn’t Windsor ...... well as a coach anyway!

Reactions: stips

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
2 covid players at the WJC camp now. Hockey Canada needs to get a program or that tournament may be in jeopardy.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just because I got bored/curious, some stat updates from current/former players...

Maggio - 1G in 6gp with SK Lejon
Henault - 3pts in 5 GP Kiekko-Espoo
Afanasyev - 3pts in 4 KHL games, 2 goals in 2 MHL games.
Rafkin - 3pts in 10 games TPS Turku
Piiroinen - 7-2-5 record, 2.26 GAA, .924%

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Just because I got bored/curious, some stat updates from current/former players...

Maggio - 1G in 6gp with SK Lejon
Henault - 3pts in 5 GP Kiekko-Espoo
Afanasyev - 3pts in 4 KHL games, 2 goals in 2 MHL games.
Rafkin - 3pts in 10 games TPS Turku
Piiroinen - 7-2-5 record, 2.26 GAA, .924%
Karl's numbers are off to a very impressive start. Probably more comfortable at home? I don't think he adjusted to the change in N.A. like many young imports or maybe he now has a tighter defense in front of him.

Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->