Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Such as whom? Let's hear some examples. Bowler hasn't even been in the seat for full year yet, but if you're itching for new... who?

Dont worry maybe he wont sit on his hands anymore. Lol

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Angles numbers have gone up almost 20 points every year. No reason to add him in with the others who haven’t improved or progressed nearly as well as Angle has.
I'm just talking returning players. Up front, you'll have Cuylle, Foudy, Afan (Sp), Angle, Johnston, D'Amico. When all is said and done you should have two high scoring lines which is what most contending teams have plus the opportunity to add depth players.
The key will be the D and who Bowler is able to bring in. Time will tell if Medina can be a reliable starter.

Reactions: OHLTG

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I'm just talking returning players. Up front, you'll have Cuylle, Foudy, Afan (Sp), Angle, Johnston, D'Amico. When all is said and done you should have two high scoring lines which is what most contending teams have plus the opportunity to add depth players.
The key will be the D and who Bowler is able to bring in. Time will tell if Medina can be a reliable starter.
We should but if the players I mention don’t step up their games then the lines won’t be. I’m just not confident with this coaching staff that the forwards are going to make that jump forward. The overall progression of players with this staff hasn’t been great to this point.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Most import defensemen in this league are good. Very few exceptions there. And quite frankly Piiroinen has not been great. It wouldn't surprise me if someone reported that it was the team's choice.

You are probably better off replacing them both vs keeping them both. IMO. And it costs you nothing to do it. Hence my response that it is nonsense to claim this as a crushing loss.
I bow to your expertise HockeyPops... nonsense it is. I’ll keep my comments to myself.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We should but if the players I mention don’t step up their games then the lines won’t be. I’m just not confident with this coaching staff that the forwards are going to make that jump forward. The overall progression of players with this staff hasn’t been great to this point.

Sad but true.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can't see the OHL going fan-free, too much revenue lost. Give me hockey with fans and I'm a happy camper; a winning season at this point is just icing on the cake.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would agree with a lot of this. I know others can point to this past year and how they played. I do believe that there were more things that went their way than didn't.

Eg.
Continuous comebacks some from a few goals down
Health of the team was extremely good
PP was lights out
Ability to overcome a dreadful PK

All these things added up to a 5th seed. If all these things went right what has to happen for them to win a division?? Better coaching, better players etc...

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I can't see the OHL going fan-free, too much revenue lost. Give me hockey with fans and I'm a happy camper; a winning season at this point is just icing on the cake.

They better come up with better solutions.
No fans in solution right now.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

So let me get this straight. NBA, NHL, MLB are coming back I knowing they will lose hundreds of millions of dollars and still play. The OHL in their Ivory Tower is going to refuse to play in empty arenas? I have news for you the OHL is going to lose a lot of money regardless. Refusing to play without fans would piss off NHL teams who care about their prospects. Fans would be alienated and it would kill the league. Even if fans were allowed a portion would be apprehensive to return in the first place.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Such as whom? Let's hear some examples. Bowler hasn't even been in the seat for full year yet, but if you're itching for new... who?

He's pretty much been on the job for a year only left is the import draft. Bowler in that time never decided to put his stamp on the team he liked status quo only moving Staois because he wanted out.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So let me get this straight. NBA, NHL, MLB are coming back I knowing they will lose hundreds of millions of dollars and still play. The OHL in their Ivory Tower is going to refuse to play in empty arenas? I have news for you the OHL is going to lose a lot of money regardless. Refusing to play without fans would piss off NHL teams who care about their prospects. Fans would be alienated and it would kill the league. Even if fans were allowed a portion would be apprehensive to return in the first place.

The OHL isn't the NHL, MLB, or NBA.

From David Branch last month - OHL Commissioner David Branch: ‘Right now, our league is planning to open up on time’

Reactions: Otto

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No it's not those leagues stand to lose a lot more money than the OHL.
No, those leagues won’t “lose” anything. They just won’t make nearly as much revenue. They won’t “lose” millions and become broke

The OHL on the other hand will actually lose money. Meaning they will have zero ability to generate revenue while meanwhile having serious expenses. The NHL had most of their regular season and can still fall back on TV revenue. What will the OHL fall back on to make money?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
No, those leagues won’t “lose” anything. They just won’t make nearly as much revenue. They won’t “lose” millions and become broke

The OHL on the other hand will actually lose money. Meaning they will have zero ability to generate revenue while meanwhile having serious expenses. The NHL had most of their regular season and can still fall back on TV revenue. What will the OHL fall back on to make money?

Fall back onto nothing.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

The only revenue they would make is from a television deal and yes they're losing money because many organizations are paying their workers.

So if restrictions aren't lifted for an amount of fans but hockey is allowed to be played they just won't play?? Branch going to tell the public "we aren't playing games because we aren't getting any money from fans that go??" That will go over really well, maybe even so well the public would tell Branch to suck an egg.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Your partially right and wrong. Yes the nhl will lose some money, but the overall wealth and liquid ness of it, along with insurance and other revenue softens the blow a ton!! The ohl on the other hand is fan revenue based, there easily could be teams close the doors or suffer huge losses!! Branch will, if he needs to, sugar coat the hell out of it. They could easily delay the start of the O season and frankly not hurt it much. Playing without fans is likely not even an option.

Reactions: NOA and windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They've already pushed the Memorial Cup back a couple of weeks, so the season could start in October without issue, and maybe even make a back-heavy schedule. Say you start in late October... play 20 games before Christmas, then 48 after. Easy? No way. Possible? Yes. I'd imagine they're thinking about every option that involves bringing fans back, even if it's at a reduced rate. If people can actually stay home for the next month or two, get the numbers down, maybe we've got a shot at crowds being allowed on time.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
They've already pushed the Memorial Cup back a couple of weeks, so the season could start in October without issue, and maybe even make a back-heavy schedule. Say you start in late October... play 20 games before Christmas, then 48 after. Easy? No way. Possible? Yes. I'd imagine they're thinking about every option that involves bringing fans back, even if it's at a reduced rate. If people can actually stay home for the next month or two, get the numbers down, maybe we've got a shot at crowds being allowed on time.

To put it nicely that's pretty insane to pay 48 games in the regular season from Jan to late Marcha and then playoffs when the average champion probably 22-23 games. You would ask them to play 70 games in a span of 5 months and then a Memorial Cup?? Possible?? Uhhhh no. Asking teenagers to play that many games in a short period of time is begging for lots of injuries.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Everything is pushed back, including the end of the regular season. This is also one scenario that's been brought up elsewhere - a back-heavy schedule. You could also find a way to reduce the number of overall games with that, down to say 60 or something. The options could be plentiful if you get creative and IF it's necessary. I think, ideally, all starts as relatively normal as possible, just pushed back a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad