Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not sure what to make of the part regarding the Spitfires standing there during his fight with Downie. When I originally saw the footage, I got the impression that it was more the team saying "let them solve their issue" than anything.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I find the whole thing fascinating. Aliu is speaking from his point of view and perspective and let's just say he's not telling the "whole" story. That doesn't change what happened to him as terrible but he's a long ways away from being a Colin Kaepernick.

My response you quoted was only to say to 7 I doubt it comes up every few months.its a hot topic now.

Im not weighing in on Alius character or comparing him to CK.

Ive never walked in his shoes so I cant judhe him, but have friends that have, and I can appreciate the article for what it is.
Seen this bias first hand and its not a good thing. And I and others spoke out.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I find the whole thing fascinating. Aliu is speaking from his point of view and perspective and let's just say he's not telling the "whole" story. That doesn't change what happened to him as terrible but he's a long ways away from being a Colin Kaepernick.
So... what is the whole story? You seem to imply that you know more

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
With all the ups and downs in the OHL in the last little bit I wonder if potential O/A such as Rupoli and Playfair might get a jump on their education instead of trying out for a spot as overagers with the Spits. I see at least one player in the O already did...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
With all the ups and downs in the OHL in the last little bit I wonder if potential O/A such as Rupoli and Playfair might get a jump on their education instead of trying out for a spot as overagers with the Spits. I see at least one player in the O already did...

Would be a smart move by both players to go education route. Not hockey route.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Playfair yes but Rupoli may be given an opportunity if Corcoran signs and does not return. We will know that in just over a week. Rupoli would be an asset on the back end for if nothing else a "settling" factor. Most of the younger guys skill levels are higher but sometimes the vet can help with the confidence factor. If Corcoran returns then you get a high end D that can also do the same thing so Rupoli would be the odd man out. That picture will be much clearer by June 1st.

Reactions: OHLTG and punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Aliu was a cancer in the room! Might not have earned the lost chicklets but ..... Corc might sign but I don’t think he leaves. My info says most of the players with eligibility will play where the have been playing. I believe we get all our what if players back.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Aliu was a cancer in the room! Might not have earned the lost chicklets but ..... Corc might sign but I don’t think he leaves. My info says most of the players with eligibility will play where the have been playing. I believe we get all our what if players back.

Then "rebuild " time again.....

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Which will be huge. If we can have Angle, Corcoran, and Douglas as the OAs, then Afanasyev et al. up front... you're set.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Assuming that everyone returns, this could be a year that we go for it. Talk on the Ottawa board is that Andree could be available. I like Medina but if this could be a go for it year, is that something that would be worth looking good into? Would we have enough assets to trade? Would we need to?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Assuming that everyone returns, this could be a year that we go for it. Talk on the Ottawa board is that Andree could be available. I like Medina but if this could be a go for it year, is that something that would be worth looking good into? Would we have enough assets to trade? Would we need to?

My gut says that if you deal for Andree, Medina's part of the package. Medina's earned his shot and, if you're bringing Andree in, he'll want to start. I just can't see Medina going "yeah, no sweat, I'll be the backup again."

Reactions: Teflon

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
My gut says that if you deal for Andree, Medina's part of the package. Medina's earned his shot and, if you're bringing Andree in, he'll want to start. I just can't see Medina going "yeah, no sweat, I'll be the backup again."
My gut tells me its pointless to talk about improving the team via trade because we all know Bowler is going to sit there with his thumb up his posterior and his cell phone on do not disturb regardless of how good a team he has next year. The earth will shake when he finally deals a 10th round pick for some scraps off the very bottom of the scrap heap, and those scraps will ensure the picks he does get signed sit in the stands all year. A handful of people will pretend to be astonished at how useful those scraps end up being for the price paid, the same way an old lady is astonished when she buys a broken Betamax VCR at the flea market for only 50 cents and it comes with a remote control! The rest of us will realize the moves were pointless and in a reflex reaction wipe our cracks with Letowski. My gut is never wrong.

Reactions: KyGuy9 and windsor7

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I agree with you that Medina has earned his shot. That being said, I can't see Ottawa as being interested. They have Cranley and seem to be high on their third goalie. Perhaps a two part deal where Medina goes somewhere a d then Andree comes here?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Not sure on assets available.
The gm would have to actually do something i guess...

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Let's just say only one side of the story was told. What happened to Aliu was awful but there was another incident that created the whole stick in the mouth.
You should share what you know, too many people are rallying around Aliu like he's some kind of hero for enduring the abuse that he played a huge part in creating and bringing upon himself. He's not some innocent snowflake who had his NHL dream squashed by hatred fueled nazis who have infiltrated management at all levels of hockey as he would have you believe.

Akim's story is disingenuous and one sided for sure. Steve Downie was a child too at the time of the incident and one with some obvious problems. I've never once heard anyone especially Aliu reference Downie's tough childhood when talking about the incident because then Aliu might have to share some of that juicy sympathy that he craves so much. It's more advantageous for Aliu to say Downie was a hotshot NHL prospect and psychopath so twitter will know which victim they are to sympathize with and which one should be cancelled. We hear all about how tough it was for Akim growing up in a cold war era apartment, but not a peep about Downie's father dying while driving him to hockey practice as a kid. Lets hear about poor little snowflake Akim from the other side of the story if you don't mind.

member 71782

IF everyone who can does return and somehow manages to gel for a full season while playing to their potential and we have a coach who actually understands how to develop systems that maximizes the talent on this team which one of

Corcoran - team's top D
Angle - team's top centre
Douglas - the big guy with all the intangibles

which one of these non expendable players gets moved if they wanted to make room for OA Andree?

Those who wanted to stand pat/make a couple of small additions last season said we couldn't moved these three because they would be a huge part of any success this year.

Now, with a lower value than last year, likely lowered even furthered if Andree were acquired not to mention only other contenders would be interested people think dealing for an OA goaltender would be a good move?

Deal for Andree likely means Medina wants out. That creates the need to get a capable back up as well.

Dealing one of our top three OAs creates the need for another top tier addition, either top pairing D or top six forward.

This team still has some holes to fill starting with a top pairing D and a very capable back up for Medina.

I believe they have have

5x 2nds
3x 3rds
5x 4ths

available to deal out to 2024.

Have any of the rumoured issues been resolved yet?

There's talent on this team but there's a ton of questions surrounding it as well starting with the group behind the bench. This is a team they should be able to build around but with a GM who doesn't appear to have a permission slip to do his job, or simply gets cold feet and a coaching staff that hasn't proven anything beyond knowing how to lose the room I can see this season continuing down the same path it's been on.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Akim's story is disingenuous and one sided for sure. Steve Downie was a child too at the time of the incident and one with some obvious problems. I've never once heard anyone especially Aliu reference Downie's tough childhood when talking about the incident because then Aliu might have to share some of that juicy sympathy that he craves so much.
There is a difference between an explanation for behavior and an excuse for behavior

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
You should share what you know, too many people are rallying around Aliu like he's some kind of hero for enduring the abuse that he played a huge part in creating and bringing upon himself. He's not some innocent snowflake who had his NHL dream squashed by hatred fueled nazis who have infiltrated management at all levels of hockey as he would have you believe.

Akim's story is disingenuous and one sided for sure. Steve Downie was a child too at the time of the incident and one with some obvious problems. I've never once heard anyone especially Aliu reference Downie's tough childhood when talking about the incident because then Aliu might have to share some of that juicy sympathy that he craves so much. It's more advantageous for Aliu to say Downie was a hotshot NHL prospect and psychopath so twitter will know which victim they are to sympathize with and which one should be cancelled. We hear all about how tough it was for Akim growing up in a cold war era apartment, but not a peep about Downie's father dying while driving him to hockey practice as a kid. Lets hear about poor little snowflake Akim from the other side of the story if you don't mind.

When you challenge a long standing ritual of picking up the pucks, and then got called out for not cooperating. He thought he was going to be bigger than the team and refused to do anything other than what he wanted. He challenged SD and got cleaned for his "I am better than you attitude". If I were in management I would have traded him right after that practice. You could tell he was going to be big trouble. He has spent his life feeling sorry for himself, and not understanding everywhere he went people do not like his attitude. He has created his own problem and needs to seek counseling to get his life on track. Complaining ALL the time will not change the perception others have.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I agree with you that Medina has earned his shot. That being said, I can't see Ottawa as being interested. They have Cranley and seem to be high on their third goalie. Perhaps a two part deal where Medina goes somewhere a d then Andree comes here?

I would just look for another team to partner up with. The less complicated right now, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille