Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
IF everyone who can does return and somehow manages to gel for a full season while playing to their potential and we have a coach who actually understands how to develop systems that maximizes the talent on this team which one of

Corcoran - team's top D
Angle - team's top centre
Douglas - the big guy with all the intangibles

which one of these non expendable players gets moved if they wanted to make room for OA Andree?

Those who wanted to stand pat/make a couple of small additions last season said we couldn't moved these three because they would be a huge part of any success this year.

Now, with a lower value than last year, likely lowered even furthered if Andree were acquired not to mention only other contenders would be interested people think dealing for an OA goaltender would be a good move?

Deal for Andree likely means Medina wants out. That creates the need to get a capable back up as well.

Dealing one of our top three OAs creates the need for another top tier addition, either top pairing D or top six forward.

This team still has some holes to fill starting with a top pairing D and a very capable back up for Medina.

I believe they have have

5x 2nds
3x 3rds
5x 4ths

available to deal out to 2024.

Have any of the rumoured issues been resolved yet?

There's talent on this team but there's a ton of questions surrounding it as well starting with the group behind the bench. This is a team they should be able to build around but with a GM who doesn't appear to have a permission slip to do his job, or simply gets cold feet and a coaching staff that hasn't proven anything beyond knowing how to lose the room I can see this season continuing down the same path it's been on.

I agree there are just too many questions. You need to find a capable backup goalie and before someone mentions Tovell. Your backup goalie is probably going to play 20 times a year or so. That's over 25% of your season and you would go with Tovell?? I can't see that happening especially if they wanted to make a run.

They lost Rafkin and Stevenson off D 2 guys that played close to 20 mins a night. I don't think anyone knows how Ladd will be returning from another injury. Maybe he can replace Stevenson but I don't think you're making a run with Ladd/Henault/Corcoran and filling in the blanks of the next 3.

If everyone returns up front for the most part it looks good but guys like Foudy and Cuylle would need to take huge jumps forward. We are talking like 80-90 point guys and for both of them that would be almost doubling their point totals.

If you wanted to make the case this past year would have been a better chance to make a run. They had a team that was playing a bit above their level and if they had made an addition or two that could help elevate this group.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
IF everyone who can does return and somehow manages to gel for a full season while playing to their potential and we have a coach who actually understands how to develop systems that maximizes the talent on this team which one of

Corcoran - team's top D

which one of these non expendable players gets moved if they wanted to make room for OA Andree?

Those who wanted to stand pat/make a couple of small additions last season said we couldn't moved these three because they would be a huge part of any success this year.

Now, with a lower value than last year, likely lowered even furthered if Andree were acquired not to mention only other contenders would be interested people think dealing for an OA goaltender would be a good move?

Deal for Andree likely means Medina wants out. That creates the need to get a capable back up as well.

Dealing one of our top three OAs creates the need for another top tier addition, either top pairing D or top six forward.

This team still has some holes to fill starting with a top pairing D and a very capable back up for Medina.

I believe they have have

5x 2nds
3x 3rds
5x 4ths

There's talent on this team but there's a ton of questions surrounding it as well starting with the group behind the bench. This is a team they should be able to build around but with a GM who doesn't appear to have a permission slip to do his job, or simply gets cold feet and a coaching staff that hasn't proven anything beyond knowing how to lose the room I can see this season continuing down the same path it's been on.
I was thinking that Andree still had another year before his OA season. That being said, I don't think dumping any of our OAs is a good idea

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Corcoran - team's top D

I believe they have have

5x 2nds
3x 3rds
5x 4ths

Spits have way too many ifs and buts at this stage to be honest. I imagine it will be difficult to fill the Import slots.....very difficult. Right now I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess as to what kind of team we end up with.

member 71782

I agree there are just too many questions. You need to find a capable backup goalie and before someone mentions Tovell. Your backup goalie is probably going to play 20 times a year or so. That's over 25% of your season and you would go with Tovell?? I can't see that happening especially if they wanted to make a run.

They lost Rafkin and Stevenson off D 2 guys that played close to 20 mins a night. I don't think anyone knows how Ladd will be returning from another injury. Maybe he can replace Stevenson but I don't think you're making a run with Ladd/Henault/Corcoran and filling in the blanks of the next 3.

If everyone returns up front for the most part it looks good but guys like Foudy and Cuylle would need to take huge jumps forward. We are talking like 80-90 point guys and for both of them that would be almost doubling their point totals.

If you wanted to make the case this past year would have been a better chance to make a run. They had a team that was playing a bit above their level and if they had made an addition or two that could help elevate this group.

I agree they played over their heads/overachieved in the first half of the year. The second half to say they underachieved would be an extremely generous way of describing how they played.

Even if Ladd simply replaces Stevenson if he's used the way Stevenson should have been he becomes a #6 D on the team.

Corcoran to this point is not a #1 D but has been used that way by default. They would need a true #1 to pair with him.

Henault is a 3/4 on his best days.

Robinson, if things are worked out is a 3/4 at this point.

The D still needs a makeover and while graduation accomplishes half of it where the additions come from will determine if they complete the job successfully.

Up front they need everyone back, improved and with improved consistency. They can't afford any passengers and everyone needs to be used properly. Obviously it's on the players to put the work in but it's up to the staff to use them right. There's a track record that doesn't show this staff will get it done.

I was thinking that Andree still had another year before his OA season. That being said, I don't think dumping any of our OAs is a good idea

If he wasn't an OA and Medina would be fine in the back up role it would have been a solid addition. Had they moved at least one, preferably two of the three current OAs they would have had the extra assets plus a couple of younger players to add Andree and upgrade on one of the others as well as added depth to backfill or make other deals.

Warm hands were more important apparently.

Spits have way too many ifs and buts at this stage to be honest. I imagine it will be difficult to fill the Import slots.....very difficult. Right now I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess as to what kind of team we end up with.

Agree, too many ifs and buts, across the league and particularly with Windsor. Imports could be tough slots to fill but it could be related more to financial will than society's current dilemma. Who they draft at that time will show this year's direction. A couple of 17 year olds and they will be building for the future. A couple of drafted 18 or 19 year olds and they will be hoping to do something this year.

The future of this team still revolves around the 02/03 groups at the moment IMO so a couple of 03 imports makes sense to me if they project well for the NHL draft but will still be here for at least two years.

The biggest questions though will be who's here to start the year and what they do at the deadline.

I'll say it now. This will be a 5th place team in the conference at the end of the year. They should be top 4 at the deadline but if they won't add then they need to move their graduating players to load up the following year which would drop them to 5th.

We'll see, first how the prospect of a season goes, if/when it starts etc and second who's back but if everyone is back, how they fill the holes and how the import draft goes there's potential for a very good season if warm hands and cold feet aren't the priority.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I agree they played over their heads/overachieved in the first half of the year. The second half to say they underachieved would be an extremely generous way of describing how they played.

Even if Ladd simply replaces Stevenson if he's used the way Stevenson should have been he becomes a #6 D on the team.

Corcoran to this point is not a #1 D but has been used that way by default. They would need a true #1 to pair with him.

The D still needs a makeover and while graduation accomplishes half of it where the additions come from will determine if they complete the job successfully.

Up front they need everyone back, improved and with improved consistency. They can't afford any passengers and everyone needs to be used properly. Obviously it's on the players to put the work in but it's up to the staff to use them right. There's a track record that doesn't show this staff will get it done.

If he wasn't an OA and Medina would be fine in the back up role it would have been a solid addition. Had they moved at least one, preferably two of the three current OAs they would have had the extra assets plus a couple of younger players to add Andree and upgrade on one of the others as well as added depth to backfill or make other deals.

Agree, too many ifs and buts, across the league and particularly with Windsor. Imports could be tough slots to fill but it could be related more to financial will than society's current dilemma. Who they draft at that time will show this year's direction. A couple of 17 year olds and they will be building for the future. A couple of drafted 18 or 19 year olds and they will be hoping to do something this year.

The future of this team still revolves around the 02/03 groups at the moment IMO so a couple of 03 imports makes sense to me if they project well for the NHL draft but will still be here for at least two years.

The biggest questions though will be who's here to start the year and what they do at the deadline.

I'll say it now. This will be a 5th place team in the conference at the end of the year. They should be top 4 at the deadline but if they won't add then they need to move their graduating players to load up the following year which would drop them to 5th.

We'll see, first how the prospect of a season goes, if/when it starts etc and second who's back but if everyone is back, how they fill the holes and how the import draft goes there's potential for a very good season if warm hands and cold feet aren't the priority.

And if coaching staff gets improved/updated or they actually change there way of thinking to coach a game.
Savages n bowler have a big year ahead. No sitting on your hands this year....

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
There is a difference between an explanation for behavior and an excuse for behavior
An explanation becomes an excuse when forgiveness is expected. I'm not sure that I understand the point you are trying to make however.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

After reading this article I feel little less sympathetic towards him? For some reason I feel like this article is less about “the issue” and more about self service to the name Akim? Not pretending to know any details just seems a little disingenuous to me.

Personally I don’t think it has anything to do with the Spitfires as I am a believer (no real factual knowledge other then my own experiences at a much lower level) it was going on to varying degrees at that time in many organizations.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

I think you are undervaluing this D somewhat. Ladd is a 3-4 D and not a 5-6 D as you noted. You have Robinson as a 3-4 D and I don't see him better than Ladd. I think this year Robinson will be played as a 3-4 but not sure he is ready for that.
Corcoran was picked by the coaches poll as the most under rated player - I think you are doing just that, under rating him. IF he comes back he will be a 1-2 D on this team for just that reason as he would likely be a 1-2 on just about every team in the O this year.
Yes there are big holes on D this year but it is not Ladd or Corcoran that will cause any issues. Now if Ladd is still hurt then yes a even bigger hole to fill.
Medina for Andree - not doing that trade anytime soon. Andree will be an OA and Medina has 2 or 3 years left. I think Medina showed good promise at the end of the year. I want to see how he plays in the first 20 games or so before panic sets in. The back up is in the air. Tovell needs to be given a chance to win the job but he must do just that - win the spot.
Sure hope hockey is back this year.
Stay safe.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I think you are undervaluing this D somewhat. Ladd is a 3-4 D and not a 5-6 D as you noted. You have Robinson as a 3-4 D and I don't see him better than Ladd. I think this year Robinson will be played as a 3-4 but not sure he is ready for that.
Corcoran was picked by the coaches poll as the most under rated player - I think you are doing just that, under rating him. IF he comes back he will be a 1-2 D on this team for just that reason as he would likely be a 1-2 on just about every team in the O this year.
Yes there are big holes on D this year but it is not Ladd or Corcoran that will cause any issues. Now if Ladd is still hurt then yes a even bigger hole to fill.
Medina for Andree - not doing that trade anytime soon. Andree will be an OA and Medina has 2 or 3 years left. I think Medina showed good promise at the end of the year. I want to see how he plays in the first 20 games or so before panic sets in. The back up is in the air. Tovell needs to be given a chance to win the job but he must do just that - win the spot.
Stay safe.
Once I realized that Andree was an OA, I lost interest in acquiring him... not just for the fact that, like you, I think that Medina has a few more good years left, but also for the fact that we would have to dump one of our OAs.... all of which I like

member 71782

Stay safe.

I agree about Medina/Andree. If Windsor is all in, Andree wasn't an OA and Medina was good as the back up for another year would be the only way to consider Andree but...

Andree is an OA, I doubt Medina would be thrilled with back up role and I doubt Windsor is all in so it makes no sense since a deal for Andree would require at least two other deals that Windsor would be dealing from a weak position on.

I don't think I'm under valuing the D.Ladd is steady but nothing special heading into his fourth year. He likely has very little trade value for a former 1st round pick, likely a mid round pick or two if he were dealt. Ladd is quickly becoming Stevenson.

Robinson, going into his second full year is a year younger, has much more potential and passed Ladd on the depth chart last year. He apparently has some issues to deal with and if he does he has the ability to be a very good middle pair D who can play in all situations and push for a top 2 role.

Corcoran is a clear #1 on Windsor and about 5 other teams. He can play that #2 spot, is reliable but he's not in the conversation as a #1D on most teams. Is he under rated? Maybe but under rated doesn't make him a #1D it simply means he's not recognized for the level he's capable of playing at. On a team with a better D, a true #1D he would be a second or third option in most scenarios. That's not meant to be a knock but any team looking for a #1D would not be spending big on him. A team looking for a D to partner with a #1 would probably have interest in him.

This D still needs a makeover. The graduations along with Rafkin deciding to not return has created the openings, how they fill them will determine if there's any other changes that need to be made.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree about Medina/Andree. If Windsor is all in, Andree wasn't an OA and Medina was good as the back up for another year would be the only way to consider Andree but...

Andree is an OA, I doubt Medina would be thrilled with back up role and I doubt Windsor is all in so it makes no sense since a deal for Andree would require at least two other deals that Windsor would be dealing from a weak position on.

I don't think I'm under valuing the D.Ladd is steady but nothing special heading into his fourth year. He likely has very little trade value for a former 1st round pick, likely a mid round pick or two if he were dealt. Ladd is quickly becoming Stevenson.

Robinson, going into his second full year is a year younger, has much more potential and passed Ladd on the depth chart last year. He apparently has some issues to deal with and if he does he has the ability to be a very good middle pair D who can play in all situations and push for a top 2 role.

Corcoran is a clear #1 on Windsor and about 5 other teams. He can play that #2 spot, is reliable but he's not in the conversation as a #1D on most teams. Is he under rated? Maybe but under rated doesn't make him a #1D it simply means he's not recognized for the level he's capable of playing at. On a team with a better D, a true #1D he would be a second or third option in most scenarios. That's not meant to be a knock but any team looking for a #1D would not be spending big on him. A team looking for a D to partner with a #1 would probably have interest in him.

This D still needs a makeover. The graduations along with Rafkin deciding to not return has created the openings, how they fill them will determine if there's any other changes that need to be made.
We can "tennis" this back and forth but IMHO you are wrong in your evaluation of Ladd, Corcoran and Robinson. Robinson really struggled down the stretch and clearly was being put in situations he could not handle. He should have been a 7th D last year. Can not see how you rate him higher than Ladd? Ladd for me was Spits #2 guy last year. Not a 2 on most teams but bailed out Henault on many an occasion. He was the stay at home D man in that pairing. There is no way Robinson is better than Ladd. With Corcoran's new found offense he has risen in the D rankings around the league. You may question the coaches polls but it is the same guys that see the talent that recommend who GM's go after if they need a top D. Corcoran is definitely in their headlights. Anyways I will leave it as a difference of opinion and leave it at that.

Reactions: KyGuy9

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would agree a lot of it is on the 02's. I am still not sure on the 03's and that's not because I don't like Johnston and Zito. I just believe so much is being put on them to carry the 03's because beyond that either nobody is signed other than Jodoin(who might not be ready). One thing we have seen is with Windsor if they like you enough they will sign you asap but if they don't sign in the year they're drafted quite often we never see or hear from them.

In one respect I think we will figure out a lot about some of these players and this organization. Everybody is in the same boat in regards to strength and conditioning training. We will get to see who the dedicated ones were to trying to stay in shape and be ready to go when there is hockey because one thing we have seen the past few years is a team that doesn't perform poorly from Sept-Dec but after that their play falls off a cliff.

member 71782

We can "tennis" this back and forth but IMHO you are wrong in your evaluation of Ladd, Corcoran and Robinson. Robinson really struggled down the stretch and clearly was being put in situations he could not handle. He should have been a 7th D last year. Can not see how you rate him higher than Ladd? Ladd for me was Spits #2 guy last year. Not a 2 on most teams but bailed out Henault on many an occasion. He was the stay at home D man in that pairing. There is no way Robinson is better than Ladd. With Corcoran's new found offense he has risen in the D rankings around the league. You may question the coaches polls but it is the same guys that see the talent that recommend who GM's go after if they need a top D. Corcoran is definitely in their headlights. Anyways I will leave it as a difference of opinion and leave it at that.

Agree Corcoran is under rated, doesn't make him a #1.

Agree Ladd is weighed down a bit by Henault but he doesn't bring much on his own besides being steady.

Robinson struggled down the stretch, fair but he also did reasonably well in those same situations early on as well. What happened? He developed some issues, lost some opportunities and regressed along with much of the team. You don't see Ladd playing in many of those situations unless he's the last option.

Agree, difference of opinions here and no issues with that. Maybe tennis another time.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I wouldn't quibble too much with that. I just have a hard time believing that the Spits could make a run with Ladd being a #2 guy. As you said he wouldn't be a 2 on most teams. Obviously they better hit on the import draft to improve that D.

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok so all this means nothing if your owners and GM aren’t willing to give it a shot. Also your coaching staff is seriously suspect. No way Medina agrees to be #2! The D is suspect still!!! I’m sorry, you guys who like Ladd great... don’t care how good you think he is, he’s weak and injury prone!! You need 2 D men to seriously go for it imho. That said every team has holes right now, it’s how you deal with it that decides your fate!! As for Akim let it go. The whole story isn’t pretty for anyone! Yes he shoulda been moved, hell never shoulda drafted him honestly. He’s still what he was years ago. Has a lot of growing up to do.

Reactions: windsor7

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Agree Corcoran is under rated, doesn't make him a #1.

Agree Ladd is weighed down a bit by Henault but he doesn't bring much on his own besides being steady.

Robinson struggled down the stretch, fair but he also did reasonably well in those same situations early on as well. What happened? He developed some issues, lost some opportunities and regressed along with much of the team. You don't see Ladd playing in many of those situations unless he's the last option.

Agree, difference of opinions here and no issues with that. Maybe tennis another time.[/QUOTE

Corcoran is our best D-man at this point and the only #1 pairing D-man we have. Henault & Ladd are 2nd pairing on this team but not necessarily on a lot of teams. Rupoli is #5 on our team. Robinson #6 and Jodoin #7. If by chance Corcoran gets signed or his rights traded we would be completely feked on D.
We need a #1 and a #2 or Medina is going to feel like a duck in a shooting gallery.
Losing Rafkin and Piiroinen without getting anything in return is crushing.
As for adding a couple imports you have to bet the Spits will be looking to add from the USHL again to ensure they show...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Nonsense. Teams lose imports every summer for nothing. You can draft two more now. Had you lost them after the import draft, that would have been crushing.

In a normal year, replacing them would have been a crapshoot. Frankly, I think they got lucky with how good Rafkin turned out to be. Add in Covid and the potential of players staying at home... you can't assume there will be replacements, let alone of the same quality.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Most import defensemen in this league are good. Very few exceptions there. And quite frankly Piiroinen has not been great. It wouldn't surprise me if someone reported that it was the team's choice.

You are probably better off replacing them both vs keeping them both. IMO. And it costs you nothing to do it. Hence my response that it is nonsense to claim this as a crushing loss.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Most import defensemen in this league are good. Very few exceptions there. And quite frankly Piiroinen has not been great. It wouldn't surprise me if someone reported that it was the team's choice.

You are probably better off replacing them both vs keeping them both. IMO. And it costs you nothing to do it. Hence my response that it is nonsense to claim this as a crushing loss.
Yes, I agree. I think Windsor will have a potent offence next season and the addition of two stellar Import D could make them an instant contender. A few other additions will be necessary yet doable.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes, I agree. I think Windsor will have a potent offence next season and the addition of two stellar Import D could make them an instant contender. A few other additions will be necessary yet doable.

Its would be a good start for the gm to not twiddling his fingers....

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The offence will depend on if Cyulle and Foudy take a big leap forward and Douglas and D'Amico take a step forward from where they have been at past 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad