Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
that would be smart thinking of a agent.
Will c what happens.
Stuff will work themselves out in a bit.....
Not sure if it was intended but one could read your comment "Will c what happens" as a play on words.
Will c = Will Cuylle (and we'll see what happens from his family's end once the sale goes through).
I thought it was a rather clever post!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
With a loss of how many draft picks because of the sanctions? And there was a Memorial Cup win in there. And even if you discount it for hosting, as I even do, WR had to sell off to build that team as best he could as to not get embarrassed in the tournament. Spits were not in a position to host that cycle, but did the league a solid in even bidding for it.

I think just based upon the fact if we are having this discussion at the very least he hasn't done a good job since Ryan Ellis left. We don't need to add if he's the most grossly overrated GM in the league since then. A change wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either though.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Search Windsor Spitfires mini camp 2019. You tube from st Clair alumni interviewing WR. Has spoke to Johnston's family and states they have concerns but is positive he'll be in a SPITS uniform after all the dust settles. Here's the link

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not a lot of time tonight but quickly - I really liked Hindman the D from Honeybaked, Tiessen D from Leamington has nice size and good skater. Lemmer looked good but surprised he has not grown much. Zito looked good but not sure he will stand out at regular camp. Parekh, Isa was not impressive, size, speed needs more time. Parekh, Aydin is bigger but more bulk than height. Don't see him on an OHL roster but he would be fine developing in Jr B. Lacks speed.
Overall this is a faster skating group and it seems these kids get faster every year.

I will have more tomorrow.
I little more from the rookie camp -
Kruszewski, Jodoin, Shier were noticeable D for sure. Up front Brown, Muzzauti, Felicetti, Hayes, Donahoe, Vitale all showed well.
Medina looked calm in net. Was surprised on his size. Listed at 6ft but has to be taller than that. Rebound control needs a goalie coach and some time to fix. Seems to understand positioning and I see him getting better when being challenged by an older age group. From what I saw with the other goalies it will be no issue finding a 3rd for a JrB call up. Incze can be moved for a pick.
Like others said here have to remember they are playing against their peers. Once camp opens in August it will be a battle for most of these kids to get noticed. There is definitely some that might but most will need another year.
I could see Lemmer, Zito, Tiessen getting some preseason games along with Johnston possibly coming in.

May the best players make this team is all I ask.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
May the best players make this team is all I ask....probably all any of us can ask. The draft was hijacked by forces beyond the control of the STH and the rest of the fans. Hopefully when the dust settles the owners of the team will do their best to make sure the team is headed in the right direction. In the meantime I hope the players, management and season ticket holders are patient enough to let things play out....

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The idea of changing GMs seems rather "be careful what you wish for."

Watching that video...

"Business as usual" is a good idea for right now. The team needs stability after last week.

Re Johnston - it's pretty much what WR needed, in terms of talking to the player/family and getting the stablity.

"Blown out of proportion" - When the signs are all there, it's tough to ignore them.

I like how he is putting his foot down for his role, assuming he's back. That's a big plus.

Re 5th - I'm not sold on WR's answer here. To me, it comes across as brushing it off when we know WR is the type to really pump a kid up, no matter what round the kid is chosen in.

All that said, I'll be happy if WR is back for at least one more season. Having gotten to know him, he deserves a chance to see this group reach their potential.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Hmm is this a ruse so we all stop talking about firing Trevor??? Heard an interesting tidbit. Not able to confirm at all. Was told by billet that players were told both WR and BB have kept some ownership in this mess!!! That contradicts insiders info so it’s unfounded at this point.

Strangely enough, I was just told the same thing... (and Teflon's post was the first thing I thought of)

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Still a lot of conflicting story’s out there guys. Not sure what to believe. There was some decent talent at the skate. Neither of the owners kids are even close to ready for this level!! B players at best and even then the young one is gonna get destroyed. Older one is less talented and frankly the weight he put on isn’t muscle or toned. I’m still irate at the current ownership and specifically Savage. He outta be ashamed!!

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Cypher bought it for an investment, seen clouds on the horizon, found a buyer, made a nice profit and dont care what the new owner does with the business.Happens everyday.Right ,wrong or indifferent...........

Reactions: OHL4Life

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
It can really be business as usual if the new owner has the right hockey minds running the team and doesnt push his sons when they are not ready for this level of hockey.Stay in the background and let people he hires to run the org.

For STH its just a wait and see...........

Reactions: TheGremlin

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
It can really be business as usual if the new owner has the right hockey minds running the team and doesnt push his sons when they are not ready for this level of hockey.Stay in the background and let people he hires to run the org.

For STH its just a wait and see...........
.. And keep those people from posting on HfBoards.....

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Still a lot of conflicting story’s out there guys. Not sure what to believe. There was some decent talent at the skate. Neither of the owners kids are even close to ready for this level!! B players at best and even then the young one is gonna get destroyed. Older one is less talented and frankly the weight he put on isn’t muscle or toned. I’m still irate at the current ownership and specifically Savage. He outta be ashamed!!

Insiders is reporting harkie singh is the new gm, he’s been right this whole time so far. rychel isn’t staying around and is cashing out just like the savages

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Insiders is reporting harkie singh is the new gm, he’s been right this whole time so far. rychel isn’t staying around and is cashing out just like the savages
Looks like my crystal ball has a big crack in it............:laugh::popcorn:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Lets be really honest about this. If you look at it from a $$$ perspective, when you figure in how attendance has dropped and costs have risen in the last few years and look at the lawsuits facing the CHL in the future you and I would take the money and run to BMO and get the check cashed ASAP. Nobody should blame the present ownership for selling.

Reactions: Sec108

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Makes sense now why WR was running the draft ,Harkie couldnt bc sale was not league approved yet.But WR was being their voice not his own.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I know for fact the current players were told WR was staying, on a 2-3 year open ended contract. Guess that doesn’t mean it’s fact or that maybe he’s staying on as an advisor. Not sur. Like I said lotsa stories.

Reactions: TheGremlin

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

It wouldn't make much sense for a new owner to keep Rychel on. The new owner has to hire the people he feels fit can best fill the vision of what he wants.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Final rankings came out for the draft

174 Angle
182 Staois
216 Henault
217 D'Amico

NA Goalies
32 Piiroinen, technically they only ranked the top 31 but he's next

16 Afansyev

Staois made the biggest jump from not being ranked at midterm to being 182. Largest drop Henault/D'Amico

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It wouldn't make much sense for a new owner to keep Rychel on. The new owner has to hire the people he feels fit can best fill the vision of what he wants.

rychel may have gotten him a 'parachute' gig as an advisor, but the new group will be running things. itll be the new owner and whoever he things is the best guy for the job, i guess right now thats harkie singh. im more interested in the coach, bowler and the scouts.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
rychel may have gotten him a 'parachute' gig as an advisor, but the new group will be running things. itll be the new owner and whoever he things is the best guy for the job, i guess right now thats harkie singh. im more interested in the coach, bowler and the scouts.

I agree with that. I was going to mention the golden parachute. I don't pay much attention to the rumors that he would be around for a couple more years. Maybe they forgot the "unless something better comes along." Agreed being more interested in coach/scouts, merely interested in the connections Singh has.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I know for fact the current players were told WR was staying, on a 2-3 year open ended contract. Guess that doesn’t mean it’s fact or that maybe he’s staying on as an advisor. Not sur. Like I said lotsa stories.

Thinking out loud here - Could WR be the GM and Singh come on as his assistant? Have WR teach the ropes for 2-3 seasons, then Singh takes over at the end of the current group's run?

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
Doubt it. Think there would be Lou Lamoriello / Toronto Maple Leaf dynamic that would fall apart the first time the new owner takes Singh's opinion over Rychel's recommendation.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thinking out loud here - Could WR be the GM and Singh come on as his assistant? Have WR teach the ropes for 2-3 seasons, then Singh takes over at the end of the current group's run?

given all the info that’s out there what makes you think rychel wants to stay? He’s cashed out and isn’t going to be the top guy here now. knowing him he wouldn’t want to be a part of something he couldn’t run the way he wants, hence why insiders rumours about singh make sense.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
given all the info that’s out there what makes you think rychel wants to stay? He’s cashed out and isn’t going to be the top guy here now. knowing him he wouldn’t want to be a part of something he couldn’t run the way he wants, hence why insiders rumours about singh make sense.

Unless there's wording in any new contract that states it's his team to "run" the way he wants.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Could depend on what he is getting out of the deal. What % does he own? If he doesn’t get much of payout then maybe that’s why he would stick around

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig